No announcement yet.

Performance degradation, refresh tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance degradation, refresh tool?

Hi,

I've heard that performance of these SSD drives suffers degradation over time and that there would be a tool to fix that. Could you please point me to this tool for the runcore SSDs?

Cheers,
    M

Re: Performance degradation, refresh tool?

just format it, likes a new one

Comment

ahh, i think he wants an XP version of Trim, or Wipe, one that rewrites all the pages left by a file delete...

Comment

Doing a full format on a SSD will have the oposite effect. It will "dirty" up the flash blocks thus slowing the drive.

Do a search for "Wiper.exe". The latest version is 0525 dated 5th December 2009. Run it and in a minute or so your drive will be TRIMmed. Wiper is extremely slow if using AHCI so set the BIOS to Legacy IDE. There's no performance penalty unless you use hot swapping.

Alternatively to completely restore 100% of factory fresh performance use a utility like HDDErase or Secure erase, set to a single pass. These programs issue the "ATA_SECURE_ERASE" command, flagging all blocks as ready to use/clean. Ths process is destructive so you need to backup your data first. To prevent the need to re-install everything use an imaging program such as Acronis True Image then simply restore the drive after. Acronis will restore the drive to a bootable state with everything present and usable including all your programs. It writes in one continuous chunk, so it won't eat as many fresh flash blocks as a Windows install does (by using temp files, constructing the registry etc).

HDDerase can be run from a bootable floppy/USB stick. Secure Erase needs to be run in a 32Bit Windows environment. a 64bit version will not work. If you have Windows 64bit installed you can download a Windows recovery CD containing the recovery console (32 bit version). Recovery Console is classed as a Windows Environment as far as SE is concerned.

After the erase, if not imaging (ie you're doing a fresh install) you must choose to Quick Format the drive. when using Vista/7 it will Quick Format by default. XP will ask you.
        Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
        Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
        Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
        TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
        2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
        2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
        Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
        Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
        WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
        Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
        Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
        3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
        Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Will Erase from Disk Utility in OS X Snow Leopard able to wipe the SSD pages as well?

Comment

I'm not familiar with that program so I can't give you an answer unfortunately. If it issues the ATA secure erase command then probably, yes. If it simply deletes partition info AKA "diskpart clean" command then no.

I don't own a Mac so don't really know the limitations if any on running external programs. Are you able to boot from a USB stick to DOS with a Mac now that they're basically PC's/Laptops with a different OS? I don't know if the Mac BIOS would restrict you. If not, running any of the utilities mentioned would be fine, either HDDErase or GParted (from here Browse GParted Files on SourceForge.net ). Alternatively you may have to hook the SSD up to a PC and use one of these tools if possible.
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Wiper.exe worked a treat for me and I just run it periodically to keep things running sweet.
              If you are running Windows I recommend it (unless you are using Windows 7 which I understand has the feature built in).
              Just unzip and run it.
              There is no other interaction with the program. It just runs and then closes.
              Simplicity itself.
              See how it performed for me at this thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/writ...an-week-35404/

Wiper.exe is attached to post #7.

Comment

I agree that (as for me) wiper has been an excellent tool. However I believe it requires a windows environment to run. Unless the OP is using BootCamp, he may not be able to use it.

My results from using wiper (I'm compiling info for a brief SSD guide) is that it does indeed effectively restore performance to around 94-95% of a clean fresh drive. This to me is more than enough for me to only use HDDerase on my Intel X25-M. A HDDErase/SE of the same Indilinx drive does yield a 100% performance increase (until all flash blocks are used again).

One interesting thing from my use of a OCZ 64Gb drive (lent by my uncle, he's a network admin and systems builder full time) using Garbage Collection 1.41 FW is that over the course of a week, drive performance can reach over 100% of "cleaned" condition. This is probably down to natural variation in benches though so I assume it to be 100%. GC in this form does shorten life of the drive. All SSD's use GC but in a gentle manner. The 1.41 has it souped up to become the primary means of keeping the drive clean. Usual best practice is to combine light GC with TRIM.

We will see better and better FW's released as Indilinx receive feedback and complete their tests etc. Some responsibility also is put upon MS. Many inc Indilinx believe that Win 7 TRIM is flawed in some minor way. Perhaps this update to TRIM will appear in Win 7 SP1 or hopefully sooner.
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Yeah... I just threw that in there as the OP doesn't actually say anything about what machine or operating system he's running (which I would think anyone seeking such technical advice ought to include as a matter of course).
                  That coupled with the fact that Windows is far and away the most common OS I thought I might hit the barn door even with a blindfold on

The attachment on that thread could also save others hunting around (too much) for wiper as I had to.
                  Runcore did respond to that thread indicating that they would maybe make it available themselves................

Comment

I agree that the OP didn't release details, which as you rightly point out is a faux par with regards to anyone being able to help. Ultratux though did state that he's running OSX, so he is definitely a Mac user.

I'm not 100% sure if it's impossible to use on a Mac though. I bought "Plants VS Zombies" the other day and that happily runs on Mac with what look to be the same binaries (could be wrong).

As you know with Runcore, they aren't the brightest button in the sewing box. I bet my last £5 they won't bother puting it up for download. They can't even reply swiftly to customer queeries on the forum, which is sad.

I had trouble getting hold of the correct wiper version too. Finally tracked down the latest build that is now apparently "80%" safe to run on 64bit Windows vista/7/XP.

IMO Runcore need to get their finger out with regards to customer service. I feel for those with problems who bought one of their devices. Thankfully their products aren't widely available through the major retailers (Scan, Dabs, OCUK Overclock etc) or I may have been tempted to buy one, and be left in the dark RE support.

An alternative to wiper (if an OSX version exists) would be Diskeeper's latest version which includes SSD optimisation that actually works. Both my X25 and Indilinx based Corsair respond well to it. In combo with wiper I get the same result as wiper alone but as free space is consolidated I also get the max time before flash blocks become dirty again.
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Thanks Psycho and MattEee for sharing. The Runcore Pro IV is using Indilinx and the firmware version is 1819 which supports TRIM. However, TRIM only works in the Windows environment. I am not sure if the OS independent Garbage Collection or some form is supported in 1819 though...

For Mac Air users like myself, so far only Runcore has a compatible SATA II LIF interface version for our 1.8" hdd replacement. It's performance is awesome as you can see my results here tested with Xbench:

My original 120GB stock HDD:-

Disk Test 28.78

Sequential 48.28
                      Uncached Write 51.97 31.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Write 46.29 26.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 42.85 12.54 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 53.54 26.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 20.50
                      Uncached Write 7.05 0.75 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Write 54.46 17.44 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 48.98 0.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 69.22 12.84 MB/sec [256K blocks]

My new Runcore 128GB SSD:-

Disk Test 195.10

Sequential 160.04
                      Uncached Write 198.32 121.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Write 229.99 130.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 77.11 22.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 379.47 190.72 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 249.83
                      Uncached Write 85.33 9.03 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Write 400.60 128.25 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 2190.10 15.52 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                      Uncached Read 746.62 138.54 MB/sec [256K blocks]

From the results, even if write performance has degraded and bottoms by 30%, it's still far better than the original 4200 rpm hdd. Read performance won't be degraded.

According to Runcore, the next release 1840 or something is not mature yet. They're working on the firmware upgrade utility regardless. Those that do not have 1819, can contact them at [email protected] to get the firmware + util to flash the sdd. But I agree that their response time to customer queries is poor and inconsistent at this point, hopefully they can increase resources to improve their service. At their current service level, I won't get a Runcore for my 2.5" drives as yet, 'cause there are many more alternatives like the OCZ Vertex and X25-M.

Diskeeper doesn't seem to support Mac, and their performance if any don't seem to be celebrated by OCZ users and Tomshardware. I don't even understand the logic behind defragging free cells for SSD... as far as I know, SSD do not need to be defragmented be it free space or not 'cause they don't have conventional spin disks with varying distances from the centre.
                      Last edited by UltraTux; 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Guys I was going to get the wiper tool up on the site but there is an issue with it that we are trying to work out. I will update you all on it tomorrow.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by UltraTux View Post
                          I don't even understand the logic behind defragging free cells for SSD... as far as I know, SSD do not need to be defragmented be it free space or not 'cause they don't have conventional spin disks with varying distances from the centre.
                          Tony Trim tells us:

AS-Clean writes logical 1's across all free blocks on the drive, writing 1's actually erases the blocks so this is much like a TRIM.

So to recap, you have now consolidated free space and reset the remaining blocks with no or invalid data to an erased state.

I have tested this on Gen1 drives as well as Gen2 and both returned speed gains.

I suggest you run this once or twice a week, it has to be executed in the order I outlined here, you have to consolidate the blocks before you reset them.
                          DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P [email protected] 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
                          Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
                          Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
                            Guys I was going to get the wiper tool up on the site but there is an issue with it that we are trying to work out. I will update you all on it tomorrow.

Matt
                            Hi Matt, hope Runcore support is not forgetting about Mac users as well, albeit we're a smaller group :)

Comment

Originally posted by nando4 View Post
                              Tony Trim tells us:
                              "as clean"? That's the silliest name ever. Can't even google it. Does it work on Snow Leopard? U have the link?

Comment

Working...
                              X