EX58-UD5, cannot finish Windows installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5, cannot finish Windows installation

Hi, I am building a system of Gigabyte EX58 UD5 + Core i7 920.
    For some reason I can not finish installing Windows (so far WinXP 32bit
    and Win7 32bit, downloading Win7 64bit now and will try later), it always
    reboots somewhere before the install process finishes. Can anyone give
    me some hint ?

I have one Seagate 250G SATA2 hard drive connected to the SATA2_0
    port. A gtx 280 and 3x2G Patriot DDR3 1333 dimms. A IDE DVDrom and a
    floppy. The manual says to install the SATA RAID/AHCI driver, I did that
    with a floppy disk, but still no luck.

Am I setting the "Integrated Peripherals" wrong ............
    Especially the first 2 items
    "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" = Disabled / RAID / AHCI (I set to AHCI)
    "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" = Disabled / Enabled (I set to Disabled)

I got the hardwares for days without a working Windows,
    what should I do ?
    Attached Files

Re: EX58-UD5, cannot finish Windows installation

when installing windows, are you able to see your harddrive?

and i would set the other ports to native mode, in my experience this is often the same as ahci.

Comment

yeah, I saw my hard drive ...... as ST3250410AS .....

Comment

Sounds like a memory problem to me. I recommend that you run Memtest and check each stick.
        i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
        Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Proton View Post
          Sounds like a memory problem to me. I recommend that you run Memtest and check each stick.
          I was suspecting the same, then I tried only one dimm in slot 1, then tried 3 dimms of Corsair DDR3 1333, no help, still can not finish installing the Windows ..... unlikely to be memory problem to me.

Comment

no one experienced same thing ?
            are you guys using UD5 just plug in one SATA2 then works out ?

I just tried Win7 64bit, still no luck, it stops at "disk.sys", seems
            the sata2 is still not working properly .......

Comment

No driver is needed for a NON AHCI/RAID install, so that could be the issues. You are sure this disk is functioning right? I mean is it new which could be DOA or old (And you know it works)?

Connect your disk to the first Blue port (SATA2_0) and then install windows without loading any drivers.

Your settings for the Intel ports (Blue) should be as follows for a NON RAID/AHCI Setup >>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
              SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
              SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

XP will not install unless the install disk is SP1 or greater so keep that in mind. Windows 7 will install no matter the version.

The settings further down in that BIOS page are for the Gigabyte (White) ports, and those do not matter for your OS install since you are using the Intel ports.

So if the above does not help you are going to need to check your disk on another setup to be sure it is not DOA. Also a few things you need to check, look on the back of the drive and if you find a jumper remove it. You may or may not need to setup your disk for first use with the manufacturers tools. Some disks need this or they will not function AT ALL and some do not. What that does it format the disk for first use and set it active, otherwise it may be set inactive and will not allow anything to install to it.

Here is Seagate's tool Discwizard that you need to use, you can run this from a floppy or from another PC within windows with this disk connected .

Windows install version, now allows Bootable ISO CD creation after install so this is all you need.
              DiscWizard | Seagate

Manual is here

Or here is the older floppy version, I like this much better >>

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                No driver is needed for a NON AHCI/RAID install, so that could be the issues. You are sure this disk is functioning right? I mean is it new which could be DOA or old (And you know it works)?

Connect your disk to the first Blue port (SATA2_0) and then install windows without loading any drivers.

Your settings for the Intel ports (Blue) should be as follows for a NON RAID/AHCI Setup >>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
                SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
                SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

XP will not install unless the install disk is SP1 or greater so keep that in mind. Windows 7 will install no matter the version.
                Hi Lsdmeasap, thanks. I set the Integrated Peripherals as above, removed the 250G hard drive and plugged in one of my old 160G Seagate SATA2 (in the SATA2_0 port).
                The 160G one worked on a ASUS board with WinXP 32 bit, I format C and try to install XP 32 bit (SP2).
                But I still can not finish installation, it always reboot after setting CDKey/date/time and internet, somewhere after "29 minutes left" and during "copying files". It rebooted
                at "25 mins left", "17 mins left", and once "9 mins left".

Do you think I should try another hard drive ? another brand ? Does this sound like motherboard problem? or memory problem?

I just hope the motherboard is not faulty ............ Actually I had this problem since last week, same other hardwares same experience on Giga EX58-Extreme
                board, then I thought it maybe problem with the board and replaced it to UD5 in a local store.

By the way, I can install Linux (openSUSE 11.0) on it, both drives.
                Last edited by niels; 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niels View Post
                  Hi Lsdmeasap, thanks. I set the Integrated Peripherals as above, removed the 250G hard drive and plugged in one of my old 160G Seagate SATA2 (in the SATA2_0 port).
                  The 160G one worked on a ASUS board with WinXP 32 bit, I format C and try to install XP 32 bit (SP2).
                  But I still can not finish installation, it always reboot after setting CDKey/date/time and internet, somewhere after "29 minutes left" and during "copying files". It rebooted
                  at "25 mins left", "17 mins left", and once "9 mins left".

Do you think I should try another hard drive ? another brand ? Does this sound like motherboard problem? or memory problem?

I just hope the motherboard is not faulty ............ Actually I had this problem since last week, same other hardwares same experience on Giga EX58-Extreme
                  board, then I thought it maybe problem with the board and replaced it to UD5 in a local store.

By the way, I can install Linux (openSUSE 11.0) on it, both drives.
                  I'm currently having the EXACT same problem... but with totally different hardware.

I'm running a Gigabyte (the only similarity I can see) MA790X-UD4P AMD board with a 7850+ X2, a WD Black 500GB SATA HD, Samsung SATA DVD-R and 4GB of OCZ Reaper 1066 DDR2. Everything was recognized at first boot and the HD formatted fine, but during XP install I received a couple of errors ("Could not install CD", "Could not install SYSTEM", etc). However, clicking "OK" or closing the dialog box allowed the install to continue, until it either ended up with a BSOD or simple stop in the time progress during the "Finishing Install" portion of setup (anywhere between 9 and 4 minutes left).

So I've been troubleshooting. The memory settings are now double checked and 100% properly set to the 5-5-5-18 recommended specs @ 2.1V and I'm heading towards Round 2 (with a fresh format). I guess the next thing is to try and update the BIOS. although that is going to be kind of hard considering I didn't throw a floppy in this build - DOH! Maybe a flash drive?

Have you tried updating your BIOS as of yet? It just seems odd that we're having what seems to be the same problem on two completely different setups (with multiple OS's). Maybe it's a Gigabyte BIOS specific thing (as my board is revision 1.0)?

Post up any updates. ;)

Comment

And... up and running!!

I downloaded the latest BIOS for my particular board (F4) to my laptop, uncompressed it to my USB flash drive, plugged it into the new system, entered Q-Flash in the BIOS, and updated away. I then chose Load Optimized Defaults in the BIOS (which I noticed backed the DDR2 down to 800, so it could have very well just been a memory voltage problem in the first place) and XP installed without a glitch.

Anyway - let me know if you need any other info... or simply if it works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dzignr_tastz View Post
                      And... up and running!!

I downloaded the latest BIOS for my particular board (F4) to my laptop, uncompressed it to my USB flash drive, plugged it into the new system, entered Q-Flash in the BIOS, and updated away. I then chose Load Optimized Defaults in the BIOS (which I noticed backed the DDR2 down to 800, so it could have very well just been a memory voltage problem in the first place) and XP installed without a glitch.

Anyway - let me know if you need any other info... or simply if it works for you.
                      I am sorry for my late update!

Yeah, it works after I QFlash bios to F7 and set "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to Disabled (and I also turned the "HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability" in the "Advanced BIOS Features" to Enabled, not sure if this also helped to solve the problem). It works now for both WinXP 32 bit and Win7 RC 64 bit. I repeated a couple times, the installation of both OS are smooth.

I am also building a AMD system with GA-MA78GM-US2H and Kuma 7750. This AMD system has no such problem at all, with the exact same Seagate 250G sata2 hard drive. I also tried another 160G sata2 hard drive on the UD5 + i7 920 system, and then moved the drive to the AMD system, same result. So it's the BIOS/board, not hard drive problem.

But things are still not perfect, especially in XP 32 bit . I experienced a few unexpected reboots. First time is during installing the SP3, it reboots before the installation finishes, then I install SP3 from start again and it finishes OK. 2nd time is right after I install IE7, it also self reboots once and then works OK. 3rd time is during the Windows updates, the os automatically downloads ~34 updates and installs them all, I am not sure during which update, it reboots. But after rebooting it seems not stable any more, it reboots for no reason when I read some webpage .... Any hint ? is this still the hard drive problem ?
                      So far no problem for Win7.

Comment

Working...
                      X