Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't install XP on X48T-DQ6

Hi,

I'm having a terrible time trying to install XP using this motherboard. I can get through the initial XP setup screen where it formats the drive and loads files, but after it reboots it hangs at Verifying DMI Pool Data and won't continue to the second stage of XP installation.

I have a single WD Caviar 1TB SATA HD and single DVD drive connected to the yellow Intel sata ports. I have them set to IDE and the other gigabyte sata chipset disabled.

I have tried the following:

1. fixboot & fixmbr in XP recovery console
    -interestingly, after running fixmbr once successfully, then running it immediately again in the same session, it still says the MBR is invalid or corrupt?!

2. using Gparted to to make sure the boot flag is set correctly on the drive

3. multiple sata ports

4. resetting CMOS - regarding this - after I reset the cmos it came up with the select hardware profile screen but defaulted to 'last good configuration' which I couldn't change because it had disabled USB keyboard support, which seems to bring me back to square one.

5. Reformatted the partition multiple times to NTFS using Gparted and/or XP Setup CD.

Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong here? I know the drive is fine because I can access all the data on it under Vista.

I know the board works because it boots fine with my other drive that has Vista installed on it. Infact, I have installed Vista successfully multiple times using the same board and HDD, before I moved Vista to another drive.

What I did with this 1TB drive was use Gparted to slice off 30GB or so to use as an XP installation and retain the other 970GB's for data. Gparted partitioned the drive just fine, and now i'm simply trying to put XP on the newly created partition.

I am relatively new to this. Can someone please give me some pointers as to where I'm going wrong? The ONLY thing I can think of that may be causing all this grief is the fact that I am using an XP CD that has SP2 slipstreamed into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Gigadeath; 06-03-2009, 07:51 PM.

Re: Can't install XP on X48T-DQ6

Originally posted by Gigadeath View Post
    Hi,

I'm having a terrible time trying to install XP using this motherboard. I can get through the initial XP setup screen where it formats the drive and loads files, but after it reboots it hangs at Verifying DMI Pool Data and won't continue to the second stage of XP installation.

I have a single HD and single DVD drive connected to the yellow Intel sata ports. I have them set to IDE and the other gigabyte sata chipset disabled.

I have tried the following:

1. fixboot & fixmbr in XP recovery console
    -interestingly, after running fixmbr once successfully, then running it immediately again in the same session, it still says the MBR is invalid or corrupt?!

2. using Gparted to to make sure the boot flag is set correctly on the drive

3. multiple sata ports

4. resetting CMOS - regarding this - after I reset the cmos it came up with the select hardware profile screen but defaulted to 'last good configuration' which I couldn't change because it had disabled USB keyboard support, which seems to bring me back to square one.

5. Reformatted the partition multiple times to NTFS using Gparted and/or XP Setup CD.

Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong here? I know the drive is fine because I can access all the data on it under Vista.

I know the board works because it boots fine with my other drive that has Vista installed on it. Infact, I have installed Vista successfully multiple times using the same board and HDD, before I moved Vista to another drive.

What I did with this 1TB drive was use Gparted to slice off 30GB or so to use as an XP installation and retain the other 970GB's for data. Gparted partitioned the drive just fine, and now i'm simply trying to put XP on the newly created partition.

I am relatively new to this. Can someone please give me some pointers as to where I'm going wrong? The ONLY thing I can think of that may be causing all this grief is the fact that I am using an XP CD that has SP2 slipstreamed into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Can you install WinXP the following way?

With just one single completely formatted HDD connected (and only one partition on it that takes up its entire space or no partitions on it whatsoever), a DVD-ROM, KB, and Mouse?
    <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

It could be the HD it's self. I had bought a 1 TB and it would do everything but install an OS. I ran the drives diagnostics tool (also did a low level format to no avail) that I downloaded from their website and determined it was a bad drive. Could be same problem for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
        It could be the HD it's self. I had bought a 1 TB and it would do everything but install an OS. I ran the drives diagnostics tool (also did a low level format to no avail) that I downloaded from their website and determined it was a bad drive. Could be same problem for you.
        ?

I have no problems. Never ever. I swear?

But as far as your problems, sometimes the utilities and software that comes with an HDD will mess things up. Actually, when it comes to installing and running Operating Systems, the software and utilities that come with an HDD are a super duper no-no.

If an HDD is used to store data only, it's not nearly as much of a potential problem, but I have learned over years to skip all software that comes with Hard Drives.

In a nutshell, the second I open a retail HDD, I grab the Software that comes with it and immediately throw it away. No joke.

So try and get it back to totally blank as blank as can be- just like the day you bought it- if you want to install an OS.

Now, there's also firmware updates that are to be considered, but when it comes to 1 TB size- which I didn't know until now that you had a 1 TB sized one... and well, firmware updates are a must to check into for 1 TB Hard Drives. Especially 1 TB ones.

What's the Make and Model number of the drive?
        <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
        > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
        > Chipset : Intel X99
        > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
        (NE Link)
        > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
        > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
        > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
        > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
        > Power Supply:
        >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
        Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
        >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
        > Chipset : Intel X58
        > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
        (NE Link MPP Link)
        > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
        (NE Link MPP Link)
        > HSF:
        Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
        > Physical Memory :
        >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
        >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
        > Video Card :
        >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
        NE Link)
        >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
        NE Link)
        >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
        > Monitor :
        ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
        NE Link)
        > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
        NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
        > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
        NE Link)
        > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
        > Chipset : Intel P35
        > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
        > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
        > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
        Link)
        > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
        >
        Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

Originally posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
          Can you install WinXP the following way?

With just one single completely formatted HDD connected (and only one partition on it that takes up its entire space or no partitions on it whatsoever), a DVD-ROM, KB, and Mouse?
          Indeed, that does seem to be the next logical step. I will purchase a new drive and test.

What's the Make and Model number of the drive?
          It's a Western Digital Caviar 1TB. I'm sorry I can't give you the exact model number as I'm at work . It was not bought retail and so did not come in a box with any software etc. The 970GB data partition on it has only even been used to backup documents and files etc.

Comment

I would, if its possible, get another Hard Drive, even if its a small drive preferably a SATA drive and try installing with it. Its also possible that for some reason your HDD is not compatible with the MB or BIOS. I would also try updating to the latest BIOS. Remember to follow LSDMEASAP's Flashing guide and restore Optimum Defaults after flashing before changing anything.
            Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
            Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
            Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
            Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
            Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
            G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
            2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
            Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
            2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
            Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
            Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
            ------------------------------------------------
            Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
            Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
            ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
            Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
            Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
            Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
            NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
            1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
            Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Originally posted by NimrodAUS View Post
              I would also try updating to the latest BIOS. Remember to follow LSDMEASAP's Flashing guide and restore Optimum Defaults after flashing before changing anything.
              Just on that note, I did try restoring failsafe defaults and running the install again to no avail. I'll try your suggestion with LSDMEASAP's Flashing guide.

Comment

Thats the exact model I had trouble with. If I were you I would go to WD and download their WD Diagnostics tool and run the program and look at the smart drive data. If its got a problem it will show up there. Also you could also go to HDDGURU and get their low level format tool it will show you errors while formatting the drive if it bad. Note thsi LLF will recertify the drive I think. I feel 100% certain this is the problem, but I have been know to be wrong...see signature.

I also got an OEM version from Newegg, sometimes I think the send out stuff that had been returned to other people. Anyway WD advanced me the drive and I had like 15 - 30 days to return the bad one after I got the one they sent. If you didn't send it back in the time frame the charged your CC.

G/L
                Last edited by Conners; 06-03-2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Thats the exact model I had trouble with. If I were you I would go to WD and download their WD Diagnostics tool and run the program and look at the smart drive data. If its got a problem it will show up there. Also you could also go to HDDGURU and get their low level format tool it will show you errors while formatting the drive if it bad.
                  Interesting. If the WD Diagnostics tool does show it to have trouble, is this a good indication that the drive is about to fail? It's been acting as a backup drive just fine for the last 8 months. I suppose any type of failure shown by the tool should warrant a return.

Comment

Any errors in my opine would dictate an RMA. Hopefully you can transfer the data to another drive then you could try the low level format. If not try the low level format anyway, nothing lost that isn't already lost...Unless you can do that fancy data recovery...

Comment

So I purchased a new 160 GB WD SATA and XP installed just fine.

I think the original problem was due to the fact that the XP partition I created on the original 1TB drive was on partition #2, and XP looks for a boot sector in partition #1 by default? That's my only explanation.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Comment

A program called Spinrite worked for me to recover a totally fudged drive so i could copy data off it. Give it a burn. P.S I took just over 24 hours to fix up the 250gb drive.
                        Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                        Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Originally posted by Gigadeath View Post
                          So I purchased a new 160 GB WD SATA and XP installed just fine.

I think the original problem was due to the fact that the XP partition I created on the original 1TB drive was on partition #2, and XP looks for a boot sector in partition #1 by default? That's my only explanation.

Thanks everyone for your input!
                          Just say it man, you really wanted a new drive and your wife would only let you get one if the other one was bad. Admit it...Admit it... LOL

Just in case you were/are not aware there are ways to do what you wanted to do. One is off the top of my head is it was an extended partition instead of primary....

G/L and thanks for sharing your problem with us.

Comment

Just say it man, you really wanted a new drive and your wife would only let you get one if the other one was bad. Admit it...Admit it... LOL
                            I've done similar with my wife before.
                            Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                            Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Working...
                            X