Can I get my Temps down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get my Temps down?

I overclocked my Q6600 on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P to 3.2Ghz using the guide in the forum and while running Prime95, my temps rose to 74*C using HWMonitor. I ran Prime95 for a couple of hours and everything passed but I'm concerned about the temps. At idle, I'm running at 39*C.

I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink and fan.

Is there something wrong with my overclock?

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [401]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.5]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]
    CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________42
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]
    System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.38]
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC
    Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by DarrellS; 06-23-2009, 05:13 AM.
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced Case - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P Motherboard
    Intel Q6600 Processor
    - Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler - 4GB G-SKILL DDR2 1066 Memory
    EVGA GTS450 Video Card
    - Turtle Beach Catalina Sound Card - 160GB WD Boot Drive - 5 x 1TB Storage Drives
    Pioneer 116D DVD Writer - Pioneer 118L DVD Writer - Windows XP Pro SP3

Re: Can I get my Temps down?

Are you sure you do not have too much paste on your CPU? Just wondering, not really sure how that cooler you have performs but I do think that is kind of high for a 3.2 overclock

Your settings look to be normal really, so I would try and redo the paste using less and see if things are any better.

What is your ambient temps? Do you have good case airflow, like 120 intake and exhaust?

Comment

I have two 80mm intake fans in the front and one 80mm exhaust fan in the back (plus the PSU fan).

I live in the Arizona desert so I can't afford to run my air conditioning below 81*F.

I'll run down to Fry's and see if I can't find a better case and some Artic Silver. This case in an old TU-124 Supercase.

Running the CPU at stock speed and running x264 benchmark my temps under load are 48*C, at 3.2Ghz the x264 benchmark temps are 68*C.
      Last edited by DarrellS; 06-23-2009, 03:57 PM.
      Intel Q6600 Processor
      EVGA GTS450 Video Card
      - Turtle Beach Catalina Sound Card - 160GB WD Boot Drive - 5 x 1TB Storage Drives

Comment

To test if your case is adding to you heat problem, try removing the side panel and run those tests again and observe the temperatures. You can also try blowing a desk fan on your open case and see if that helps further. If they both do, then you may try modding your case by cutting a holes and installing fans on the top of the case for an exhaust fan, and/or the left side panel for an intake fan .... provided you have the tools and the inclination of course.
        This might save you some money from buying another case.

All the best.
        1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
        2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
        3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @[email protected] bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
        4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @[email protected] cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Comment

Intel Q6600 Processor
          EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
            I have two 80mm intake fans in the front and one 80mm exhaust fan in the back (plus the PSU fan).

I live in the Arizona desert so I can't afford to run my air conditioning below 81*F.

I'll run down to Fry's and see if I can't find a better case and some Artic Silver. This case in an old TU-124 Supercase.

Running the CPU at stock speed and running x264 benchmark my temps under load are 48*C, at 3.2Ghz the x264 benchmark temps are 68*C.
            I'm assuming 80F is around 25C, which is a typical sort of summer temperature here in the UK and normally homes don't have Air Con. If that is the case, I'm assuming you should be looking at internal case temperatures of around 35-40C?

If all your 80mm fans are of the same make, model, speed etc you could have a scenario where you have positive air pressure (where actually more = less). It's all dependent on how much air your PSU fan is moving too.

Ideally it's always best to lean on the side of more exhaust air volume than intake. As far as the case fan setup goes, it's about expelling hot air as quickly as possible (vs noise). So actually adding more fans in the wrong places can actually make the internal case temperature hotter.

Sometimes the best cooling solution (cost effective) is with just one 120mm Rear Exhaust fan. If the air intake is at the front of the case, it will suck air in, usually past front mounted hard drives, across the motherboard collecting local heat from CPU, GPU, NorthBridge and memory and exit out the back.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

When is the last time you cleaned out the dust bunnies from your case Darrell?
              1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
              2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
              3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @[email protected] bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
              4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @[email protected] cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Comment

Not knockin' on Artic Silver, but there are better TIM's out there. Check this, has some info on application also;
                80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests | Benchmark Reviews
                E7400, Gigabyte P45-UD3P, 2gb Patriot PC28500,
                WD 320 gig HD, Sapphire 4670 DDR4, Corsair VX550
                Xigmatek HDT1283, Antec 300, Xp Pro 32bit

Comment

Personally I think far too much of a fuss is made over thermal compound. As long as you are using a quality compound and it's filling the gaps (so to speak) then the real differences are minimal.
                  Comparisons made by enthusiast websites are hardly scientific and whilst they may give you a rough idea, you have to allow a certain percentage in the results for a margin of error anyway - if that's from user error through compound application to variances in ambient or CPU temps.

Years ago when I started off a career in electronics (late 70's) all I knew of then (and used) when it came to thermal compound where a couple of makes.
                  In most say domestic electronic workshops you'll see in these days is the same that's been around for years, ie the standard "white" thermal compound.
                  The PC enthusiast is just driving the thermal compound market, probably in the main through ignorance. But in the main that's how much of marketing works.
                  GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

It's been about 6 months since I did a thorough cleaning but I spray it out with canned air every time I open it up and also spray the front air vents.

I took the side panel off (didn't aim a fan inside) and ran Prime95 for about a half hour and the temps dropped to 37*C and 69*C. (I also dropped the voltage one notch, don't know if that helped)

Since installing the Hyper 212, I've been concerned about the 120mm heatsink fan and the 80mm exhaust fan in the back. It almost seemed like a better idea to take the exhaust fan out and put my horn in the back to direct the hot air out from the CPU. I had to remove the horn to get the Hyper 212 in since it barely fits inside the case which prevents me from using a side panel fan also. I could make an 80mm hole lower in the side panel to use the rear fan there and a 120mm in the top to get rid of the interior heat.
                    Last edited by DarrellS; 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM.
                    Intel Q6600 Processor
                    EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

Originally posted by chuckm View Post
                      Not knockin' on Artic Silver, but there are better TIM's out there. Check this, has some info on application also;
                      At the link you posted, AS 5 is rated number two, so I don't understand your comment.

The results posted in that article fly in the face of several other reviews I have read. The test took over two years! Can any testing environment remain consistent over that length of time? Whatever, an interesting article none the less.
                      i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
                      Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                        Since installing the Hyper 212, I've been concerned about the 120mm heatsink fan and the 80mm exhaust fan in the back. It almost seemed like a better idea to take the exhaust fan out and put my horn in the back to direct the hot air out from the CPU. I had to remove the horn to get the Hyper 212 in since it barely fits inside the case which prevents me from using a side panel fan also. I could make an 80mm hole lower in the side panel to use the rear fan there and a 120mm in the top to get rid of the interior heat.
                        I would leave the 80mm rear exhaust alone. I can almost guarantee you will see improvements in both your case and your cpu temps, if you add an 120mm blowhole, and an 80mm side intake. Put the side intake as low and as close to the front of the case as you can. This way air flow still goes from front lower to rear upper. Let's look at it this way, you would have three 80mm intakes, and one 80mm exhaust, an 120mm exhaust, and a exhaust from your psu. Depending on your cfm of each fan, and amount of restriction in the case, they may very well be a balance in and out flow, with probably a bias to more exhaust, (negative pressure). Not too bad.

I am just surprised about your cpu temps though. Maybe you should re-apply TIM and reseat it.

Comment

Well, I cut a hole in the top of my case and added a 120mm exhaust fan. I also removed the vented covers on the front of the case for the 5 1/2" bays where I have three HDDs installed.

The HDDs are cooler now but the CPU temps didn't change much. At idle I started at 35*C and under load reached 74*C. I'm at 39*C right now.

I picked up some Antec Formula 5 also (didn't have Artic Silver). I'll tear it apart tomorrow and reseat the cooler.
                          Intel Q6600 Processor
                          EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

HardOCP had a decent shoot out between several and honestly I already knew what to expect, any thermal compound from a reputable manufacturer gets the job done with in a couple Celsius. Buy whatever has a good price/shipping ration IMO.

If you see giant leaps of temps when you switch TIM's it means A you put too much on, B you put too little on or C you simply do not know how to spread it correctly.

Comment

If you see giant leaps of temps when you switch TIM's it means A you put too much on, B you put too little on or C you simply do not know how to spread it correctly.
                              Or if they are that much out, it's more likely to be D, which is the HSF assy hasn't been correctly fitted. Which can easily be the case if someone has managed to push down three of the Intel retaining clips correctly, but the fourth looks ok, but is indeed not fully secured.

Comment

Working...
                              X