Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my Kingston RAM downclocked from 1066 to 800

hello
    i've just joined the forum which really wonderful one, i am using gigabyte motherboard GA-X38-DS5 with quad processor, i used to have Corsair memory 800mhz 2 * 1 giga, recently i bought Kingston KHX8500D2/2G two sticks 2 * 2 giga, run at DDR2 1066MHz at a latency timing of 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V, when i installed them , i found that the memories are working in 800mhz instead of 1066mhz, any way i tried to make them work at 1066, i downloaded the latest Bios and i used easy tune, i was able to change the frequency but the voltage i changed to 2.2 when i booted i found the frequency 1066 but voltage back to 1.8, does any one know how i could do it in bios what the changes i should make , and does it make the performance better, what is the effect of increasing the memory frequency will have in memory sticks

Re: my Kingston RAM downclocked from 1066 to 800

It's set to 800MHz because that's how most memory sticks are designed. It's made like that to be backwards compatible with old motherboards. You can simply change it to 1066 in BIOS. Just increase the DRAM voltage, and change the RAM dividers around until you get 1066. You MIGHT also have to increase the standard timings to 6-6-6-18 to get it stable.

You can't save voltage settings to BIOS by using EasyTune6. You need to do it in BIOS.

Comment

hi
      thanks for the reply, actually i emailed Kingston for it , and they have me this answer
      SPD Loads
      800 Frequency (Mhz)
      5 Cas Latency (CL)
      5 Ras to Cas Delay or Row to Column Delay (tRCD)
      5 Row Precharge Delay or Ras Precharge Delay (trp or tRCP)
      18 Row Active Delay or Ras Active to Precharge Delay or Time to Ready (tra, trd or tRAS)
      1.8 Voltage

Module Max
      1066 Frequency (Mhz)
      5 Cas Latency (CL)
      5 Ras to Cas Delay or Row to Column Delay (tRCD)
      5 Row Precharge Delay or Ras Precharge Delay (trp or tRCP)
      15 Row Active Delay or Ras Active to Precharge Delay or Time to Ready (tra, trd or tRAS)
      2.2 Voltage
      but my question to you how u would cahnge the voltage , under which window i could find it in bios

Comment

It should be in "MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIB)"*, and should be near the bottom labeled as "DRAM voltage" or something similar.

There is no great performance gain from 800 to 1066. The gain is VERY small.

and to answer your question in the PM, no you do not need better cooling to run it at 1066MHz.
        Last edited by creamsoda; 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

once again thanks to u for the reply, i will try to do the settings as were given by Kingston, yesterday i updated my bios for my GA-X38-DS5 to the latest one which was beta 24/4/2009, it went successfully, but when i read some posts about the Bios Upgrade , i really get scared that the bets bios i upgraded to, might cause system instability, so far my system boots normal and fast , do u think i should worry about this, and do i need to return back to the old bios released in 2007.
          your help is higly appreciated

Comment

you can revert back to the old BIOS anytime you want, if you feel it's unstable. It's no big deal..

You shouldn't worry too much about changing the RAM settings. The worst that could happen is your board won't boot up, but if that happens, you can simply reset the CMOS on the board, by removing the CMOS battery for 1 minute.

I've used Gigabyte motherboards for a very long time.. and I always tweak settings & update BIOS's. These Gigabyte boards are very reliable. They're not gonna fry that easily.

Comment

thanks a lot for being so helpful, i i have another question which is not related to motherboard, i am using dual booting system one xp and the other one is windows7, which is good but i amfcaing problem with it that i can not end some tasks , for example i am using wireless terminal for internet when i want to disconnect from the net , the program is not responding which forces me to shutdown my w7, task manger does not do any help , ending process as well, the program keeps not responding and i can not do any thing except shutting the w7, i think it is bug with w7 that Microsoft should take care of i, do u have any idea how to end process that is not responding rather than using task manger which does not do any help
              thanks a lot to u

Comment

In the taskbar at the bottom right, left-click on the Network/Internet icon, then under Wireless Network Connection, right-click on your wireless connection and select "disconnect".

If that doesn't work then try this:

In taskbar (bottom right again), right-click on the Network/Internet icon and select "Open Network & Sharing Center". On the left panel, click on "Change Adapter Settings". Right click on your wireless connection, and select "Disable", or "Connect/Disconnect".

It's probably caused by Windows 7's autoupdate service. BTW, which RC build are you using? I'm using Build 7100, and it's very good :-)
                Last edited by creamsoda; 07-09-2009, 04:52 AM.

Comment

thanks alot for the help , i am using build 7100, which seems so nice, except for this problem that when i want to disconnect from the net the progrem goes to endless stage which lasts so long and without shutting the w7 , it will not go over, i have found a lot of people are complaining from it ( they can not end process)
                  thanks a lot
                  looking to hearing from u, i wish i could get your email so that we can continue talking by emails
                  nuflia

Comment

Working...
                  X