Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced CPU Features w/ Stable Overclock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced CPU Features w/ Stable Overclock?

Excuse me, i have some questions.

I just overclocked my rig and 4.2ghz +HT ON 21x200 its very stable, as i have passed 8 hours each test on OCCT small/medium/large, Linx 50/50 passes @ full memory.

I am confused at the moment if its okay to enable some of the cpu features?

At the moment this are the settings:

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Techn. [Enabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled [All]
    CPU Multi-Threading [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
    C3/C6/C7 State Support [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology [Disabled]
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT [Disabled]
    Would it be a good idea to start Enabling since i am already very stable. Or it's better to keep them disabled?

I heard from a friend its good to enable all after having a stable setting.
    Also i wanted to run the Gigabyte Energy Saver 6 program as well, will it cause any stability issue's ? same with all of those cpu features..

Thanks
    Last edited by zerosaku; 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM.

Re: Advanced CPU Features w/ Stable Overclock?

Yes it's ok to enable them. I have them enabled, and they don't affect my stability at all in Prime95.

A lot of ppl claim to have problems with the Energy Saver program, so I wouldn't use that. But you can try it out if you want. It doesn't hurt to try it >_>

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I don't feel like running anymore occt/prime95/linx for a long time, since my rig is currently stable. So i need to check stability again and run those programs again after enabling those cpu features? or no need anymore?

What issue's are found in energy saver?

Comment

Really to me it's just a personel need/choice only you can decide.
        Last edited by Conners; 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I'd enable C1E and SpeedStep. It'll save some power, keep idle temps down (not that important) and have the extra benefit of letting the cores cool more rapidly when load is stopped. I'm not too familiar with C3/C6/C7 but I see no difference with my board and CPU by enabling more halt states.

To be sure of stability, definitely do 10 runs of IBT/Linx and a Prime95 Blend over night. 12 hours + on Prime would be ideal, but 8 should be ok if the system is rock solid with out EIST and C1E enabled.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I also run C1E + EIST as much as possible.

These features sometimes don't play nice at higher OC's, and cause instability. This is why some recommend disabling them when trying to find a stable overclock (less variables).
            If you're stable with them on, all the better....

Energy saver issues I've had:

-High DPC latency + spikes
            -Stayed enabled after uninstall ( "Stealth mode" )
            Last edited by C3D76; 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM.
            Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
            Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
            i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
            Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Comment

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled] is Speedstep... so im gonna [Enable] this.
              C3/C6/C7 State Support [Disabled] also gonna [Enable].
              CPU EIST Function [Disabled] gonna [Enable]

what about this 2 ?

Last edited by zerosaku; 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

SpeedStep is EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedsTep), they just chose to use the T in the acronym for some reason.

Bidirectional PROCHOT ("Prosessor Hot) is to do with allowing communication of internal CPU temps to the board, and allowing the board to communicate back, eg to shut the CPU off or slow it down if temps get too high. The best definition I found was:

"A bidirectional processor hot (PROCHOT#) interface is provided to allow both system observation and system control of a processor's thermal state. Such a bidirectional interface may be useful, for example, in desktop and mobile systems where a limited amount of control and observation capabilities are to be balanced with the use of additional pins. In another embodiment, a two pin PROCHOT# and force processor hot (FORCEPH#) interface allows the system to both observe and control assertion of a throttling mechanism."

I've seen no difference in enabling C states other than C1, but bear in mind they may cause instability, not definitely but possible. If you have problems try disabling this again (you should be able to leave C1E on without issue).

Virtualization Technology is Intel's implementation of accelerating Virtual Machines. A VM program artificially createds an operating system environment inside a current running OS, that to installed programs, feels like the OS is actually running "stand-alone". For example, you can run Windows XP in a virtual machine running on Vista. Even programs not compatible with Vista, that normally wouldn't work, will function fine because as far as they are concerned they are actually running on XP. Sounds complicated, and I may have missed a few things (never used VM's), but that's the basic gist. If you know what they are and use them, enable it for faster operation, otherwise you can disable it without problems.
                Last edited by Psycho101; 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM. Reason: Removed [CODE] tags from PROCHOT quote.
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                  SpeedStep is EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedsTep), they just chose to use the T in the acronym for some reason.

Bidirectional PROCHOT ("Prosessor Hot) is to do with allowing communication of internal CPU temps to the board, and allowing the board to communicate back, eg to shut the CPU off or slow it down if temps get too high. The best definition I found was:

"A bidirectional processor hot (PROCHOT#) interface is provided to allow both system observation and system control of a processor's thermal state. Such a bidirectional interface may be useful, for example, in desktop and mobile systems where a limited amount of control and observation capabilities are to be balanced with the use of additional pins. In another embodiment, a two pin PROCHOT# and force processor hot (FORCEPH#) interface allows the system to both observe and control assertion of a throttling mechanism."

I've seen no difference in enabling C states other than C1, but bear in mind they may cause instability, not definitely but possible. If you have problems try disabling this again (you should be able to leave C1E on without issue).

Virtualization Technology is Intel's implementation of accelerating Virtual Machines. A VM program artificially createds an operating system environment inside a current running OS, that to installed programs, feels like the OS is actually running "stand-alone". For example, you can run Windows XP in a virtual machine running on Vista. Even programs not compatible with Vista, that normally wouldn't work, will function fine because as far as they are concerned they are actually running on XP. Sounds complicated, and I may have missed a few things (never used VM's), but that's the basic gist. If you know what they are and use them, enable it for faster operation, otherwise you can disable it without problems.
                  i actually thought EIST was enabled but it was disabled, it was Thermal Monitor that was enabled

Well i enabled:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enable]
                  C3/C6/C7 State Support [Enable]
                  CPU EIST Function [Enabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor was already Enabled.

i ran occt medium test for 6 hours, was stable, i assume that's enough, i tend to be very stable if i pass occt above 6 hour mark.

from experience:

1.24v Linx pass, fail prime, fail medium occt
                  1.25v Linx pass, pass prime, fail medium occt
                  1.26v Linx pass, pass prime, pass medium occt.

It seems Bidirectional PROCHOT is a good idea to enable lol
                  Last edited by zerosaku; 07-23-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Basically while in the over clocking process I understand (could be wrong) you should disable all of those. Then when stable you can apply any or all.

Comment

That is right Conners, disabling all except Bi-Directional PROCHOT and Thermal Monitor 2 is advised while trying to move clock speeds up, however I believe that zerosaku has finished overclocking, is happy with speed and just wants to have optimal power savings etc. The stress tests are to confirm stability with these features enabled.

I would personally run a blend/balanced test for 12 hours or over night followed by 12 hours of Large FFT/Large Data Set to be sure. However if you were stable before, and pass 6 hours with EIST and all C states enabled, you should be good to go.
                      Last edited by Psycho101; 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Oh well, my bad... I missed the boat once again. Well I say enable them all then as long as it meets your needs. Did I already say that?

Comment

It's always worth saying again mate, even if you have said it before. If you make sure that the PC is stable and performing well for what you use it for, then you're golden.
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys :)

Psyc: I actually ran my rig before with 8 hours stable on each OCCT test, Small, Medium, Large. Small Prime95, Linx 100/100 passes @ full memory.

Bios settings was:

CPU Cores Enabled [All]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
                            C3/C6/C7 State Support [Disabled]
                            CPU EIST Function [Disabled]

I did a test last night, enabling all of bios features except PROCHOT and Virtualization technology on OCCT Medium 6 hours stable :)

CPU Cores Enabled [All]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled]
                            C3/C6/C7 State Support [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function [Enabled]
                            after that i enabled prochot after reading your post.

Bi-Directional PROCHOT [Enabled]
                            Last edited by zerosaku; 07-23-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you have everything set now for the best speed and power saving.
                              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Working...
                              X