GA-P35-DS3L Won't post with 8gb memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3L Won't post with 8gb memory

Just picked up another 4gb of gskill memory and I cannot for the life of me post. The setup is a DS3L with a q9550 and 4 2gb sticks of gskill memory. 6GB works okay , 8gb wont post.
    Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

The cpu , stock or overclocked same thing happens. I have tried up to +.4 on ddr overvolt and +.3 on mch to no avail. The extent of what happens after i put on the memory is , the pc turns on then turns off, turns on then off , then on for the third time it just stays on without post. I am not sure what this means. I have also tried to load optimized defaults, "auto" voltage settings and a 667 memory speed. Just ran memtest86 overnight with 6 passes combining the new two memory sticks with one of the old ones.

Am i missing something here, if all the memory sticks are good and pass memtest? Maybe some settings im overlooking.
    Last edited by thepiecesfit; 08-01-2009, 10:14 AM.

Re: GA-P35-DS3L Won't post with 8gb memory

memtest86 with just the pair of memsticks

current bios settings

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 08-01-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

bumpin
      Last edited by thepiecesfit; 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

just a bump, this thread was burried wanted to try to resolve it thanks

Comment

I'm having a similar issue right now. Same motherboard, same manufacturer of memory, but I have 4 sticks of the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory

Each set works fine individually, but when both sets are in the machine at the same time it fails memtest.

After reading many posts on newegg and other websites, I am drawing the conclusion that gskill memory just does not want to work with 4 sticks. 2 sticks is the only configuration that will work, or so it seems.

I stayed up late last night messing around with a lot of timings and such, and I will poke around some more tonight too. Here is what I was using as a reference: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memo...vs-bios-27283/

*this does not really pertain to you since you are running DDR2 800, and I am running 1066*...I read a comment on newegg by someone implying that gigabyte motherboards don't like running 4 sticks at faster than 1000 MHz. I read another comment by someone saying that the RAM I have is not "true" 1066 RAM since its' recommended voltage is 2.0-2.1V. They say if it was true 1066 it would be 1.8V. They say it is basically DDR2 800 RAM, but overclocked.

With that in mind, when I get home tonight I will try running my 4 sticks at DDR2 800 speed instead of 1066. The only other thing I will do prior to that is to bump up the ddr voltage to 2.1V. I was hesitant to do that last night since the ram was fairly hot to the touch at 2.0V. I read a few comments that this ram seems to run hot, so I am less hesitant.

Comment

If problem exists with stock FSB I'd try to resolve it like that before overclocking.
            The memory is rated 1.8-1.9v I don't see a reason for more.
            I'd set all timing on auto with performence enhance standard and default memory voltage, test each of the modules individually with memtest86, at least those that are in doubt, then test all slots with a known good module.
            After that test the two possible dual-channel configuration to make sure this isn't the problem, then explorer the MCH voltage options with all 4 modules with DDR normal voltage, and then try the same with +0.1v DDR OverVoltage.
            Are all modules the exact same? Check the part numbers of all slots shown in MemSet spd window.

Comment

each stick was tested 10+ passes in memtest86 the memory slot closest to the cpu , at 800ddr 5-5-5-15

Comment

I think what Chike is trying to say is to test out each DIMM slot with the "good" stick. The reason because is that you could have a faulty DIMM slot which is causing your computer to constantly reboot.

Comment

I got my 4 sticks of memory working! yay.
                  1. Installed just 2 sticks of RAM, since it has always worked on just 2 sticks.
                  2. Set memory timings manually. (In my case 5-5-5-15)
                  3. Set DDR voltage to +.3V (2.1V)
                  4. Set MCH voltage to +.2V
                  5. Set other memory timings to "AUTO"
                  6. Set performance enhance setting to "STANDARD". (Originally had it on "TURBO")
                  7. Booted into Windows 7 and ran the Memset program.
                  8. Clicked on the SPD button, and noted all the settings as to what the memory is running at on the "AUTO" settings.
                  9. Rebooted and went into the BIOS, and manually set all the settings according to what I noted from the AUTO setting.
                  10. Shutdown and installed 2nd set of RAM.
                  11. Booted up and ran Memtest86+...no errors!
                  Summary, since I originally had memory settings on "AUTO" with 2 sticks of RAM, and only started messing with timings manually when I tried to install 2 more (total of 4), the only thing that really changed to get everything working was:
                  • set DDR voltage to +.3V
                  • set MCH voltage to +.2V
                  • set performance enhance to STANDARD
                  Specific settings:
                  • row cycle timing: 48
                  • refresh to act delay: 68
                  • act to act delay: 4
                  • write to precharge delay: 13 *might have this setting swapped with next one*
                  • rank write to read delay: 4 *might have this setting swapped with previous*
                  • read to precharge delay: 4
                  • DDR voltage: +.3V
                  • MCH voltage: +.2V

Comment

Chike yes the memset reports same model part number for all 4 sticks. Mazobob i tried entering the auto settings from memset into my bios but when i rebooted into windows it reported other numbers that I did not previously enter. Dunno how valid the program is. It seems like the memory doesnt like my cpu at 400 fsb even tho its running the ram stock, it will reboot when 4 sticks are in, 6gb will work. Of course stock 8gb wont boot either but it doesnt reboot like it does at 400fsb on cpu.

I will try testing each memory slot but I predict it wont matter because ive been using them in different combinations for 6gb and it has been stable otherwise.

Originally posted by mazobob View Post
                    I got my 4 sticks of memory working! yay.
                    1. Installed just 2 sticks of RAM, since it has always worked on just 2 sticks.
                    2. Set memory timings manually. (In my case 5-5-5-15)
                    3. Set DDR voltage to +.3V (2.1V)
                    4. Set MCH voltage to +.2V
                    5. Set other memory timings to "AUTO"
                    6. Set performance enhance setting to "STANDARD". (Originally had it on "TURBO")
                    7. Booted into Windows 7 and ran the Memset program.
                    8. Clicked on the SPD button, and noted all the settings as to what the memory is running at on the "AUTO" settings.
                    9. Rebooted and went into the BIOS, and manually set all the settings according to what I noted from the AUTO setting.
                    10. Shutdown and installed 2nd set of RAM.
                    11. Booted up and ran Memtest86+...no errors!

Summary, since I originally had memory settings on "AUTO" with 2 sticks of RAM, and only started messing with timings manually when I tried to install 2 more (total of 4), the only thing that really changed to get everything working was:
                    • set DDR voltage to +.3V
                    • set MCH voltage to +.2V
                    • set performance enhance to STANDARD

Specific settings:
                    • row cycle timing: 48
                    • refresh to act delay: 68
                    • act to act delay: 4
                    • write to precharge delay: 13 *might have this setting swapped with next one*
                    • rank write to read delay: 4 *might have this setting swapped with previous*
                    • read to precharge delay: 4
                    • DDR voltage: +.3V
                    • MCH voltage: +.2V
                    Last edited by thepiecesfit; 08-06-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Since you are doing basically the same thing I did, which is to bump up the voltage, and also to query the memory with software and then set it manually...it should work.

Only thing popping into my head right now is when you run memtest and click the SPD button to query your ram, I did notice that there is a pulldown menu on that window that pops up so you can look at the stats of each memory stick individually. Maybe, just maybe, there are subtle differences between your 2 sets of RAM? Look at all 4 chips' settings and go with the lowest common denominator as far as each setting is concerned.

Comment

There are none each stick is exactly the same. Without being redundant I will post one pic. Each pair reports same exact numbers. Tested the ram slots overnight all appear functioning and passing memtest fine.

Originally posted by mazobob View Post
                        Since you are doing basically the same thing I did, which is to bump up the voltage, and also to query the memory with software and then set it manually...it should work.

Only thing popping into my head right now is when you run memtest and click the SPD button to query your ram, I did notice that there is a pulldown menu on that window that pops up so you can look at the stats of each memory stick individually. Maybe, just maybe, there are subtle differences between your 2 sets of RAM? Look at all 4 chips' settings and go with the lowest common denominator as far as each setting is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                        X