No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3P.Cannot copy large files.HELP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P.Cannot copy large files.HELP?

Hi to you all!

From the beggining, when I bought this motherboard (EP45-UD3P rev.1.1) I have had several problems.

One problem that still remains, is with my network adapters (it has two Realtek PCI-Express Gigabit 8111C NICs..)

This motherboard is on a Windows 2003 Server. When I try to copy from a Windows 7 client computer (say, a 3GB file) the copy itself stops at 40-50%..and the connection suspends for 20 seconds and then its up again...NO remote connection, NO network connectivity at all!! (speaking for the server... the client keeps the connections alive. I have internet, I see the other computers etc.)

My network contains :
    • 1 Server (Windows 2003 Server, with the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard)
    • 3 client computers (2 Vista, 1 Windows 7 64bit RC)
    • Linksys WRT610N Gigabit router
    • All computers connected to router with Cat.6 cables

I tried several drivers for the REALTEK nic but nothing, also tried several different settings with the nic drivers.....The problem remains..

I tried copying large files between the clients, Success! The problem is only with the Server.

Someone having the same issue?

Thank you in advance!
    http://dailyfix.gr
    Blogging for your daily needs!
    Geeks Revenge! Cause being a Geek in those days is SO COOL!

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P.Cannot copy large files.HELP?

Anyone please ?

Comment

This is a very specific problem and many people around here (like me) probably don't know all that much about networking, so it may take some time to get answer. Don't be afraid to keep bumping the thread, hopefully someone will read that knows more about this stuff.

You can also try this forum where official Gigabyte reps are around, but it usually takes a few days for them to respond:
      Official GIGABYTE Forum - Index

Comment

Thank you Nickel020 for your response! Thank you a bunch!

If someone can help me out please.. ?

Comment

Just to eliminate harware possibilities, try another known good ethernet cable and port for the server.

Comment

Linksys has previously stated that since Windows 7 is a Release Candiate, they currently do not offer / support their adapters under it. Until the time Windows 7 is offered as a retail store product, it is a "hit or miss" for getting drivers to work.
            Issue installing WUSB54GSC drivers on Windows 7 - Wireless Routers - Linksys Community Forums

You might want to look into configuring Windows Server 2003 to act as a router.

Comment

Hi.

Be more specific about how you execute the file copy? Is it Shares and may be DFS?

If Shares, goto computer mgmt > Shared Folders and check both Sessions and Open Filers as you go. If not you can try and copy from a share. At the begining of the copy you should see both a session and that the file is open as well. When the file copy stops see if the file is still open.

When the connection resumes does the file copy resume as well or is it interrupted?

When you copy large files at some point the CPU will usually start executing memory block moves. So may be do a memtest (a program) just to confirm you do not have problems with memory block moves.

The 20 secs may point to that may be something crashes? And then Windows restarts i.e. the driver?

If you use file services like shares - then how? Do you use network drives connected to a share? If so you should not. Those drives are legacy and perform as a local harddrive with less or no respect to network traffic. I.e. your AV may suck up the bandwidth. Use shares or really the network redirector. Make sure the local AV does not perceive networked file system as a local file system.
              Depending on how you nest a file hierarchy below a share sharing it between several clients there may be issues as well in terms of how oppertunistic Windows Server System can read the files. It's a networked file system with shared files. So sometimes you should nest the share as deep as possible to facilitate files can be read as quick as possible without checking for changes and locking - especially if you're interested in performance. But performance is not always that important - you also want to be able to manage the file system.

The file copy algorithm in Vista/2008/Win7/2008 R2 is also different from XP/2003/2003 R2. Any side effects there joining this problem?

Finally, remember if you want quick transfers over gigabit LAN as well you cannot use PCI Gigabit NIC's. Must be intergrated or use PCIe or really 64-bit (so OS should be 64-bit as well). Also make sure you have default settings on your NIC's so they work unmanaged or automatically - i.e. you have not tampered the autonegotiation features as you tried to crack some of your other problems. A nice NIC for the server would be an Intel Pro Server network card.

Anyway - check you system logs. Servers and clients. Thats basic and almost certainly there will be some indication there. Then Google the problem. Remember especially with Vista/2008 or Win7/2008 R2 you can aggregate logs using forwarding events with the Windows Event Collector Service and Subscriptions, i.e. on the server (which is always on).

You can also use task manager > Performance > Resource Monitor and then Disk I/O and Network I/O to see how resource allocation is processing on the client and server. In the end you can set up performance checks using performance monitor if you have to. Another option is using Process Explorer to follow processing. Look it up.

When you work this problem - please remember with respect to the networked file system, you're not just running 3 workstations and a server but you're running a Windows Server System.

A more unmanaged and automatic version of the server system comes with Home Server which has great unmanaged settings and an even better UI. The best thing though is the price tag! Like $500 - $750. All ready to go. The price is equal to that of a small NAS but you get an automated server system Microsoft quality. Read the reviews. The HP MediaSmart server - especially the EX Series - has received great reviews (http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...er/#/EXSeries/). If I did not have to concern myself professionally with Windows Server System I would be running one of those unmanaged systems for consumers with ideal settings for i.e. file- and media services and backup including storage management. It even comes with Single Instance Store (SIS) - as far as I know - for effective storage of backup of multiple workstations.
              Last edited by Computermensch; 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

@Computermensh

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

GA-EP45-UD3P comes with two PCI Express cards (Realtek 8111c Gigabit NICs).

When I lose connection (after the copy interupt) I STILL CAN ping the server from a client! But I CANNOT see the shares of the server and the Remote Connection is lost also.

I try to copy files from C:/Shares (which is a shared folder. I figured what you said about the path, so I created a shared folder at the root of my file structure -> C:/ )

I tried to copy large files TO the server from

Windows XP -> Windows 2003 (FAIL)
                Windows Vista -> Windows 2003 (FAIL)
                Windows 7 RC -> Windows 2003 (FAIL)
                ....and
                Windows 2003 -> Windows Vista,XP, 7 ----> SUCCESS !!! (????!!?)

When I try to copy a large file FROM the server TO the clients the copy finishes but it copies very slowly (12-24% network bandwidth)

@Chike : My cables are Gigabit (Cat.6) also tried with Cat.5 cables (problem remains). I changed ports to the router (problem remains)

Maybe its a driver issue ? (I tried several drivers from older to newest, problem has not been solved..)

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Googling the problem shows you are not the first one to experiance it. Try microsoft support they should know what to do.

Comment

Also try using the other NIC on the UD3P. Have you run any stability testing?

-devoh
                      Antec P180 case
                      Intel E8500 E0 Stepping
                      Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 BIOS F10j
                      Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120!! Do NOT try and save a few bucks with your cooler.
                      Crucial Ballistic PC6400 cas 4 memory 2 x 2G
                      2 x WD Black Edition 640G 32Megs cache 7200RPM
                      XFX Geforce 260/216 Black Edition
                      Corsair TX650W
                      Running on 64 bit Win 7 (AHCI mode)

Comment

Sounds like driver incompatibilities to me, but I am no network expert though. Can you test server 07? Just wondered if it was 2003 issue only or not

Does changing the setting "Green LAN" in the BIOS Have any effect?

Comment

I will test it and give you further updates!

thanks!

Comment

Good luck, sorry I wish I could offer some real advice on the subject but sadly I can only mostly help with overclocking or settings dealing with hardware setup

Comment

Thanks lsdmeasap ! nevermind..!

Comment

Working...
                              X