GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

I recently built a system using the above board and asked some questions hereDDR3 1800 PC3 14400 OCZ RAM

Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

For your DES issue I suggest you simply uninstall it, if you have issues you may need to reinstall it again on the drive you are using now, then uninstall

Sorry I can't help much with AMD, ArtDrivers will hopefully be by to help you out with this, but I can say for high speed memory you are going to have to set your own voltages (Ram and NB)

Safe Mode, this may be normal as Safe mode does not load many drivers and the needed driver per fan control is likely not loaded which allows the fan to run 100%

Like I said, I am not an AMD User, so hopefully ArtDrivers will stop in to help you shortly. If he does not, please pm me and I will get a hold of him to see if he can stop in and offer you some advice

Comment

PhenomMSRTweaker
      <o:p> </o:p>
      Now some questions/observations for anyone that might be familiar with the program (and I still need help with my memory timings):
      <o:p> </o:p>
      • Download Prime95 or similar and run a couple of instances of it and set PMT to power-saving mode and drop the P1 CPU VID (not sure about the NB VID???) until the system hangs, and then raise it back up a notch or two.

<!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]-->
      <!--[endif]--> <o:p> </o:p>
      New stuff I need help on:
      <!--[if !supportLists]-->
      <!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]-->
      <!--[endif]--> <o:p> </o:p>Suggestions welcome as this is new ground for me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        For your EES issue I suggest you simply uninstall it, if you have issues you may need to reinstall it again on the drive you are using now, then uninstall
        Just to clarify - I am using both drives (or really one drive with two partitions). With it installed on the C:\ partition and the CnQ driver installed on the C:\ partition it (was) working fine. With it installed on the G:\ partition and CnQ installed on the G:\ partition, it worked, but it would not display CPU wattage (which was it's main feature, since setting Minimal Power Management enabled CnQ and I could use Easy Tune 6 or any number of other utilities to verify CPU frequency. Since I installed PMT, it doesn't seem to work anymore (always shows CPU Wattage of 69W), even if I re-enable CnQ in the BIOS and disable (well stop) the PMT service. However, one of the times before when I tried to uninstall it, it failed to uninstall, and I tried to remove it from the registry and the system would hang right after Windows loaded (which is why I went into safe mode and ended up reinstalling Windows), so as long as it is happily turned off and I'm not getting BIOS warnings to press any key to continue, I'm not going to worry about it.

As I said, I consider it buggy.

Re-read your reply - I guess I should have re-installed it and tried to uninstall again when the initial removal failed instead of plowing through the registry - lesson learned - Thanks!

Sorry I can't help much with AMD, ArtDrivers will hopefully be by to help you out with this, but I can say for high speed memory you are going to have to set your own voltages (Ram and NB)
        I'm pretty lost on this part of it - mainly worried now that I'm not too high on the voltages or clocks now and damaging anything. I hope he stops by!!!

Safe Mode, this may be normal as Safe mode does not load many drivers and the needed driver per fan control is likely not loaded which allows the fan to run 100%
        Maybe .... Here's the odd thing. I'm a freak for semi-silent PC's (had too many hair drier ones in the past). When I first got the Regor 240, I plugged the HSF into a fan header on my Barton mobo and it was louder than my Barton Artic Cooling HSF and my PS. I didn't have RPM monitoring on that header, but I was worried, b/c you void the warranty if you use a different heatsink, and I thought I might have made a bad purchase, but once I had the heatsink controlled by the Gigabyte mobo, the fan was silent and I was happy.

Now, if it started at full speed instantly in Safe Mode, I could see the driver not being loaded and Windows not knowing what to do - but it didn't - it started out quiet and then after a few minutes it ramped up to really loud. To me that sounds like some type of thermal issue kicking the fan up, but the fan was louder than it is with CnQ disabled and the processor at 2.8 Ghz, so it got my atttention (and I shut down fast).

Thank you for your help!!!
        Last edited by Tiger-Heli; 09-09-2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Hi Tiger-Heli We will view your manual here http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/...-ud(s)2h_e.pdf
          I don't use PhenomMsrTweaker. I use CnQ set in bios with AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP, and AMD Power Monitor Version 1.2.3. These are AMD cpu drivers for cpu power efficiency. You can download them here if you want to try this, but the CnQ has to be on auto in bios.
          Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
          Here is a screen shot for your viewing of AMD Power Monitor. It's a split view where I set one on desktop and the other on presentation. I just right click on the icon in the task bar and set power scheme to one of five settings or always on.

By artdrivers at 2009-07-21

You will want to make some adjustments to your bios for your memory.
          I can send you a bios template but first may I ask you for your PC health?
          Here is a template please use it. Change the TEMPLATE numbers with yours.
          You will need to go into bios. Please always when entering bios on the first bios page press and hold the Ctrl and then press the F1. Like at the same time Ctrl+F1. This will allow all bios features to appear.
          It is suttle but if viewed closly the bios will flicker. This has to be performed everytime you enter bios to view all the features.
          Code:
          PC Health Status
          Hardware Thermal Control [Enabled]
          Reset Case Open Status [Disabled]
          Case Opened No
          Vcore 1.364V
          DDR3 1.5V 1.536V
          +3.3V 3.280V
          +12V 12.048V
          Current System Temperature 38oC
          Current CPU Temperature 36oC
          Current CPU FAN Speed 1962 RPM
          Current SYSTEM FAN Speed 0 RPM 
          Current NB FAN Speed 0 RPM
          CPU Warning Temperature [Disabled]
          CPU FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
          SYSTEM FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
          NB FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
          CPU Smart FAN Control [Enabled]
          CPU Smart FAN Mode [Auto]
          System Smart FAN Control [Enabled]
          After you post your systems PC Health Template we can help with the memory settings if you want.
          Last edited by artdrivers; 09-09-2009, 08:22 AM.
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
          http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
          Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
          Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
          Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
          4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
          (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
          (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
          (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
          Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
          Mid size ATX case with show through panel
          2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
          Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
          Logitech G500 USB mouse
          Monitor: CMV937A
          7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
          Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
            I don't use PhenomMsrTweaker. I use CnQ set in bios with AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP, and AMD Power Monitor Version 1.2.3.
            Okay - I actually liked PMT - the problem I was having before running it was that both cores did not seem to ramp up to the same speed, so WinXP would cycle between the inactive cores - PMT seems to avoid that, but from the screenshot, so does the AMD driver - at least AMD power monitor shows both core speeds - that is helpful.

Questions:
            • You said you can select power states from the icon, but I assume it also automatically ramps up and down with load?
            • There was a CPU driver for CnQ included with the mobo that was likely newer than this one (2007 on AMD's page - but not mobile). I assume the 1.3.2.0053 driver will work with the Regor 240 processor? Do I need to remove the driver that came with the Gigabyte mobo before installing it?
            • I actually would rather have CnQ enabled in BIOS, but I assume at this point I would need to disable PMT service and shortcuts, change the CnQ settings in BIOS, and maybe get warnings that EES was disabled until I uninstall it - we can cross those bridges later ...

I can send you a bios template but first may I ask you for your PC health?
            Here is a template please use it. Change the TEMPLATE numbers with yours.
            I can get you the PC Health info, but it is on my home computer and I don't have Internet on it, so I would have to check tonight and post back tomorrow, and then I'm off for the weekend, so further updates would be Monday.

As long as I'm not overdriving anything, that's okay, though ...

Please always when intering bios on the first bios page press and hold the Ctrl and then press the F1.
            I had read about the Ctrl-F1 trick, but it didn't seem to be doing anything. I wasn't on the first page, though, I would be in M-B Intelligent Tweaker or Advanced CMOS when I did it, though. I'll try from the first page.

After you post your systems PC Health Template we can help with the memory settings if you want.
            Sounds good - if you wouldn't mind, could you initailly post what would be normal "Safe" settings in the mean time - (or is basically "Auto by SPD", which I think I might be at now good enough?

Thanks again!!!!

Comment

Here are some templates we will be using. You can always set auto or optimized defaults in bios if anything gets maladjusted. We will be setting some things to manual and rebooting a few times.

Code:
              MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
              } Advanced Clock Calibration [Press Enter]
              CPU Clock Ratio [Auto] 2800Mhz
              CPU NorthBridge Freq. [Auto] 2000Mhz
              CPU Host Clock Control [Auto]
              x CPU Frequency(MHz) 200
              PCIE Clock(MHz) [Auto]
              HT Link Width [Auto]
              HT Link Frequency [Auto] 2000Mhz
              VGA Core Clock control [Disabled]
              x VGA Core Clock(MHz) 500
              Set Memory Clock [Auto]
              x Memory Clock x6.66 1333Mhz
              } DRAM Configuration [Press Enter]
              ******** System Voltage Optimized ********
              System Voltage Control [Manual]
              DDR3 Voltage Control [Normal]
              NorthBridge Volt Control [Normal]
              SouthBridge Volt Control [Normal]
              SidePort Mem Volt Controlj [Normal]
              CPU NB VID Control [Normal]
              CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
              Normal CPU Vcore 1.3250V
              Code:
              Advanced Clock Calibration
              EC Firmware Selection [Normal]
              Advanced Clock Calibration [Disabled]
              x Value (All Cores) -2%
              x Value (Core 0) -2%
              x Value (Core 1) -2%
              x Value (Core 2) -2%
              x Value (Core 3) -2%
              Code:
              DRAM Configuration
              DCTs Mode [Unganged]
              DDR3 Timing Items [Auto] SPD Auto
              x CAS# latency Auto 7T 7T
              x RAS to CAS R/W Delay Auto 7T 7T
              x Row Precharge Time Auto 7T 7T
              x Minimum RAS Active Time Auto 30T 30T
              x 1T/2T Command Timing Auto -- --
              x TwTr Command Delay Auto 5T 5T
              x Trfc0 for DIMM1 Auto 90ns 90ns
              x Trfc2 for DIMM2 Auto -- --
              x Trfc1 for DIMM3 Auto -- --
              x Trfc3 for DIMM4 Auto -- --
              x Write Recovery Time Auto 10T 10T
              x Precharge Time Auto 5T 5T
              x Row Cycle Time Auto 28T 28T
              x RAS to RAS Delay Auto 4T 4T
              Bank interleaving [Enabled]
              Channel interleave [Enabled]
              By the way your CPU may add or remove some of the template settings.
              Please add or remove the settings from the template as well.
              Last edited by artdrivers; 09-09-2009, 11:20 AM.
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Just to clarify - you want me to reply back with what I have for the entries you posted, not set my system to the things you listed, correct?

I know off the bat that my memory clock is at whatever makes 1066 and Windows would hang when installing at 1333.

Comment

Yes please post your settings on these templates if it's not to much trouble. This will help us and others viewing. You will have a free base of the settings you originally had as well.
                  I know off the bat that your memory voltage and timings are not optimized because the bios, and cpu, and memory controller does not do this on all the different memory.
                  Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                  Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

No trouble at all - I truly appreciate all the assistance.

Out of curiousity - is there a program to find out what the memory timings SHOULD be set to (default), or is it more a matter of bump this setting up until it hangs, drop it down a notch, adjust second setting, etc.?

Thanks again!

Comment

All the memory has a set of JEDEC# that the bios or cpu uses to adjust your memory timings and voltage. The bios uses the fail safe setting on the memory. If you are content with the fail safe memory settings you need to be content with the fail safe frequencies as well.
                      I actually would rather have CnQ enabled in BIOS, but I assume at this point I would need to disable PMT service and shortcuts, change the CnQ settings in BIOS
                      I believe the bios has 3 options for cool and quiet (Auto, enabled, and disabled. Auto is the one I select to allow a program to enable or disable it. You may be able to use the two programs.
                      You said you can select power states from the icon, but I assume it also automatically ramps up and down with load?
                      Yes I just right click on the icon in the task bar and set power scheme to one of five settings or always on which turns off power settings truly (Performance mode) The catch is if you close the program keep in mind the settings are still where you left them. Even on a cold start it will come back with the same features you had set previously before you closed the program. Please try to remember this at boot up or when needing to change performace. Out of habit now I open and close the program everytime I make the change.

There was a CPU driver for CnQ included with the mobo
                      It may be the same version. You can try the one provided with your board. You can check the version @ add or remove programs Look up AMD Processor Driver there and click on the link (Click Here For Support Information). or you can download and install AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 provided on page one if it is different. You need a AMD processor driver for the AMD Power Monitor to work right.
                      Last edited by artdrivers; 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM.
                      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                      Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Sorry for bugging you with details, but I'm a bit confused on some of the replies now ...
                        Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
                        If you are content with the fail safe memory settings you need to be content with the fail safe frequencies as well.
                        Okay - the PC is stable with the memory at 1066, but it is supposed to be 1800 PC memory, I would at least like to run it at 1666 or whatever the board supports - I'm not looking to overclock it to 2000 or anything like that (or the processor either for that matter).

I believe the bios has 3 options for cool and quiet (Auto, enabled, and disabled. Auto is the one I select to allow a program to enable or disable it. You may be able to use the two programs.
                        Seems like mine only had enabled and disabled, but I'm going from memory and that's dangerous.

Yes I just right click on the icon in the task bar and set power scheme to one of five settings or always on which turns off power settings truly (Performance mode) The catch is if you close the program keep in mind the settings are still where you left them. Even on a cold start it will come back with the same features you had set previously before you closed the program. Please try to remember this at boot up or when needing to change performace. Out of habit now I open and close the program everytime I make the change.
                        Here's where you are losing me - I know CnQ supports five processor states, P0 through P4, I think.

Okay - I read through the readme and I think I have a better idea of the concept ...

It looks like the AMD driver just allows CnQ to work - it might be the same as the one I have now, shouldn't be significantly different.

The AMD power monitor does both:
                        • Allows you to see CPU frequency on each core.
                        • Adds a taskbar icon to select power settings (I'm guessing "Always On", "Minimal Power Management", Home Office/Desk, etc. etc.)

The thing I am leery of (and I only have empirical data), but this is essentially about what I had before PMT and it was NOT working for me. I didn't have the taskbar icon, but I could select Always on and the CPU ran at 2.8 and all games worked fine. I could select Minimal Power Management and office tasks ran at 800 Mhz and benchmarks ran at 2800, but games seemed to basically run at 800 - I think b/c only one and not both cores were ramped up to 2800 Mhz.

PMT takes care of this and also gives me the option to run locked in Performance mode or locked in minimal power mode. In short, it solved a lot of my problems.

I have my doubts that AMD Power monitor will work for me, (unless it also locks the cores to the same clock setting - but I didn't see any mention of that in the readme.)

It seems to be working for you, so perhaps it does do that, or perhaps other AMD CPU's don't have the issue, but ...

Can't hurt to try it, but I'll likely be sticking with MSR Tweaker ...

Looking forward to setting the memory timings correctly, though!!!

Comment

I would at least like to run it at 1666 or whatever the board supports
                          We should say what ever the board, and memory controller or cpu will support. This is why you will be setting the memory settings in bios, and not everyone gets the same results. In your case it has to do with the 144-bit DDR2 Memory Controller and HyperTransport 3 technology. It could have its memory frequency timings and voltage limitations. We will do the best we can though.
                          Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                          Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Agreed - what I meant by whatever the board supports is that I didn't see a setting for 1800 and some of the other GB boards I was looking at said "Frequency determined by CPU and memory" or sth like that.

DDR3 Memory controller, not DDR2, correct?

Comment

Your CPU is holding you back I researched it and the memory controller for it only supports 1066Mhz anything higher will be an oc.
                              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                              Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Working...
                              X