No announcement yet.

Need help on witch chipset/memory type to use with P4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on witch chipset/memory type to use with P4.

If i use a northwood 2 ghz processor on a, let's say asus board.
    Would rambuss give me a boost in performance vs ddr memory?
    And if so, how mutch more? The price is quite different to i've seen. And can someone explain the difference in: Sis645, i845e, and i850. Theese are the different chipsets I assume. I'm going to use the computer for gaming and movie encoding etc and maybe i overclock the system to. In your opinion and knowledge, witch chipset is the best for my needs, and what kind of memory shell I use with the different kinds of chips? I do not no every kind of memory whitch is sold on the market nowadays sutch as rambus and all the different kinds of ddr. If someone has the time and possibility please explain this to me... /Thx

Check this comparison out, http://www.xbitlabs.com/mainboards/p4-533-chipsets/ ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

RDRAM (RAMBUS) will give better performance, but a lot of folks have gone away from it because DDR offers good performance as well without the high entry fee.

SiS645 - This one has been getting very mixed reviews. I'd stay away from it.

Intel i845 - DDR based Intel chipset that offers very good stabilty and can also give you some very sweet overclocking capabilities. A lot of folks running Intel based systems are using this chipset. Just make sure to check out some reviews and get one that offers some good O/C options in the BIOS.

Intel i850 - RDRAM based Intel chipset that offers great stability and speed. But as a rule, the i850 chipset boards are very poor overclockers. If you want sheer number crunching performance, then you'll do well. If you plan on playing a bit, then look elsewhere.

Something else to consider are boards based on the newer SiS648 chipset. Cameron Johnson (our main motherboard reviewer) seems to think that this one may actually be a winner. Keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming review of a mainboard based on this chipset to see if the numbers add up.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Ok, thank you all for your time, i have found this asusboard,
        "ASUS P4T533-C i850E" (Even thought you told me about poor oc abilitys with i850) i think i will run it with a
        Nortwood 2,26 Ghz, 533 Mhz bus. If i order this setup what is the memory i should use for best performance, Pc1066?
        Conesidering that i'm using a celeron 1300 as we speak i would gain quite mutch in my benchmarks with this right?
        This is a great forum to use, i've learned very mutch from you guys out there who is kind enought to help all of us "beginners".

/Thx

Comment

And what do "sheer number crunching performance" mean?
          My english sucks sometimes...

Comment

We were all "beginers" once but yes the performance over what ya presently have will be noticable in a lot of things. ;)

Comment

Thanks Wiggo you da man! Do you think I would be able to break the 10k in 2001SE???

Comment

[b]And what do "sheer number crunching performance" mean?
                The actual amount of data that can be passed for memory to CPU and back again. ;)
                [b]Do you think I would be able to break the 10k in 2001SE?
                If ya couldn't break 11k I'd be wonderin' what's wrong. :D

Comment

REALLY??? 11K??

THATS JUST CRAZY!!!

Comment

So, is pc1066 the kind of memory i should or "must" choose to use with that Asus mobo?

Comment

Hmm, just read that i could use pc800 as well, but with a litte bit performance drop...

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                        So, is pc1066 the kind of memory i should or "must" choose to use with that Asus mobo?
                        If it is an I850E based solution, then yes. And you're right, you can use PC800 but I'd stick with PC1066.
                        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                        Managing Director
                        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

PC1066 costs about %30 more and offers %5 more performance. I personally would stick with just a regular i850 chipset, or the i845e chipset. there are other alternatives like SiS645DX and Via P4X333, but for maximum performance and stability i would stick with intel. If you havent got overclocking in mind, then an Intel D850EMV2 coupled with PC1066RDRam say 256MB will give you almost the best stock intel combo you could find

Comment

Sorry but a regular i850 won't support the 533MHz FSB CPU he wants. :smokin:

Comment

i said i personlly would stick with it, and also mentioned that the D850eMV2 with PC1066 is good (its i850E).

Comment

Working...
                              X