Amd Hammer Socket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd Hammer Socket?

Will the new AMD hammer be based on Socket A or a totally new design. Or does anyone even know?

I've seen a pic of AMD's socket 748 (or something?) that could be for it, makes sense.
    There is a whole lota pins on that thing.

Comment

Are they gonna do what Intel did? A much smaller socket but a pin at ever like half millimeter or something? Or is it gonna be like an extra large thing.

Comment

Here's a pic of the "Clawhammer" and the size and HSF setup will be similar to Intel's P4. ;)
        Also this should be in the AMD forum so I'll move it over there. : peace2:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

well nvidia's new nforce2 motherboards supposedly are all about the athlon k8 series - does it really have all those pins?
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          P4 1.8 w/256 L2 cache
          D845bg w/512 mb DDR pc2100
          Gforce4 Ti4400
          Western Digital 100 Gb Hard Drive W/2mb Cache
          Creative Audigy EAX / DD 5.1 - Inspire 5300 Surround Speakers
          Twin View Enabled:
          NEC 19' Flat display monitor + 15' Flat display monitor + tv out

Comment

Is that a metal plate on the core? I thought I'd never see the day.....

Comment

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the C'Hammer supports both 32 & 64 Bit OS. That in part explains the increase in pin density.:hammer:
              Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

[b]well nvidia's new nforce2 motherboards supposedly are all about the athlon k8 series - does it really have all those pins?
                Yes Nervagent55 that chipset is supose to support "Clawhammer" but it will have a different socket setup to what's used for the present Athlon/Duron one plus the memory controller would have to be dropped, disabled or modified as "Clawhammer" has an inbuilt one. ;)
                [b]Is that a metal plate on the core? I thought I'd never see the day.....
                Yes RD the heat spredder will be there this time. :thumb:

Comment

They did it for the K6 family I'm not sure about the K5 though I never had one. Why did they decide to lose the metal plate for the K7 familiy?

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                    JM[/size]]
                    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the C'Hammer supports both 32 & 64 Bit OS. That in part explains the increase in pin density.:hammer:
                    Yes it will support both types and unlike Intel's Itanium it won't take a performance hit to do it which is why Intel is now workin' flat out on "Yamhill". :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                      RD[/size]]
                      They did it for the K6 family I'm not sure about the K5 though I never had one. Why did they decide to lose the metal plate for the K7 familiy?
                      Prior to the K6 CPU's the core was underneath in the socket but I spose the dropped the heat spreader at that time as Intel didn't use them then and they probably wanted to distance the K7 away from the K6 at that time. :smokin:

Comment

WOOT FOR AMD...i wanna see the performance on those things...:bounce:

HEAD to HEAD with INTEL
                        - Damien

Comment

well they are going to rape intel processors.......because someone said a few weeks ago that they released hammers to various companies at 800MHz for testing purposes and some benchmarks got released and they were comparing very well up against 1.6-1.8GHz P4's. That doesn't really corrolate to real word benchmarks though, I'm still a beleiver casue lately AMD hasn't done anything in the past few months, and truthfully my opinion is after they terminated the thunderbird line up they only released the xp lineup just so they can have something on the market while hammer is under development.

Comment

Sounds Good...when is it more or less coming out any one know?
                            - Damien

Comment

They should come pooring in either late 2002 or earlier to mid 2003.

Comment

Working...
                              X