Limiting Use of Shared Folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Use of Shared Folders

How can I limit the use of the shared folders in my computer to those people on the network whom i select. I am at a large univesity and we used to use Windows 98 and I simply gave my friends the password to my shared folders, now I want the same circle of people to be able to use my shared resources, but would rather not have everyone in the university accessing my computer.

How can I do this or where can I find a guide for people with 98 networking experience who need to learn XP?

Just setup user accounts for those folders usin' the same user name and password as ya did with 98. I'll see if I can locate a guide as well. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Win98 uses crappy network acess methods. only the NT kernel offers user-level acess to your shares. So if your sharing something on a 98 box, you cant restrict the resource(s) to specific people.

On the 2k/XP box you can share and give permissions to users & groups you specify. The only guide I can reccomend is this one:

Format C:
      Install Win2k/XP.

Since you already have, it should be easy enough for you to pickup. The best guides actually come with Windows Help.

Comment

Corduroy

I don't know what sort of data you plan on sharing across the network with your friend's but like the other guys said that the move to 2000/XP would definitely accomplish all that you wish to do in terms of configuring permissions, policies and rights on folders.

At the moment I am working with Win 2000 AS and I have to say that its awesome when it comes to networking that if you want something done then AS2000 will most likely do it for you.

In regards to learning networking when it comes to OS's that utilise the NT kernal it would also be a good idea to go to your uni library and check the computing section. You'll be surprised in what you'll find there as I did.... :p

Comment

Working...
        X