Help on Computer/Partly Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Computer/Partly Overclocking

As you may know or remember that I built my computer just over 14months ago.
    Everything was fine apart from one thing which I never really fixed as I didn't see it as a big problem. But now I'm giving/selling my computer away so I'd like to fix it before I build a new one.

The problem is the computer just suddenly stops responding like it crashes. The monitor goes to no-signal and the keyboard doesn't work (caps/num lock light doesn't change when I hit the key)
    Everything inside the case is still running like the fan etc.

It isn't really an overclocking problem because it still does the same, even at stock setting without any bios tweaking.
    Atm, the computer hasn't restarted for at least a week (at 3.2Ghz) but I know for sure it will do it again in the near future and really want to fix it.

In case specs are needed here are some of it it:
    CPU = Q6600
    Mobo = Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
    GPU = GTX 260
    PSU = BFG (not sure model but 850W)

The temps idle is around 27-35

I was thinking it would be a PSU or either the motherboard problem but not fully sure.

Thanks for any help/info
    Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
    Intel core 2 quad Q6600 [email protected]
    Nvidia GTX 260
    6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
    850W BFG PSU (will replace to corsair 850 later)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
    WD 1TB HD
    Antec 1200
    Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Re: Help on Computer/Partly Overclocking

Run Memtest yet? I'd guess either RAM or bad VGA, assuming no other card in use.
    Better fill your signature with the complete system spec so that others can better help.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 SLB9Y @ 3.8GHz, 1.36V
    Thermolab Baram + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev.1.6, FB
    G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B x 2 @ 448MHz
    XFX GeForce 7100GS
    Western Digital WD6400AAKS + WD1600AAJS
    BenQ DW1650, Pioneer DVR-115BK
    Antec Sonata II, Corsair CMPSU-520HX
    Gelid Wing 12 x 2 @ 850RPM
    Enermax Aurora Premium KB007U-B, Razer Diamondback 3G
    Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP Rev.A04 (LG.Philips IPS), Grado iGrado Black
    Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 x 2 @ DD-WRT + Tomato

Comment

I am sure that it wont be the RAM because I've tried memtest before with all passes. I have also replaced them with some corsair dominator 2x2GB and still had a problem before I returned them.
      I'll fill my sig in. (I have actually got it posted somewhere anyway, just a case of copy/paste)

Bad VGA as in the graphics card or one slot of the graphics card? Because I've tried another monitor before.
      Doubt its the OS because it started with XP and then vista and now windows 7.
      Last edited by Leungwk01; 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM.
      Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
      Nvidia GTX 260
      6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
      Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
      WD 1TB HD
      Antec 1200
      Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

Sig updated
        Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
        Nvidia GTX 260
        6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
        Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
        WD 1TB HD
        Antec 1200
        Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

i know that sound blaster software can cause alot of crashes,try updating to latest soundcard drivers
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll like to add that the sound card was only added recently. So its not to do with that but thanks anyway.

Things added recently was SSD, sound card, antec 1200 and maybe more but can't think of it.
            The original components which I first got and which had the problem were:
            Q6600, GTX260, PSU, Mobo, 1TB HD, RAM.

So it'll be either the components above. I came to the conclusion its either the PSU or mobo. Doubt its the other components but I could well be wrong.

What I'm waiting now is for my computer to have the same problem so I can post you guys what it says in event viewer.
            I looked around before and it maybe something like power kernal.
            Last edited by Leungwk01; 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM.
            Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
            Nvidia GTX 260
            6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
            Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
            WD 1TB HD
            Antec 1200
            Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

Try what the 1st post said and run memtest. See what it tells you.
              <object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
              <param name="movie" value="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf">
              <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
              <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
              <embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>

Comment

If you think the PSU is the problem you can test it with a multimeter or if you have another one you can try.

Comment

Originally posted by Leungwk01 View Post
                  I am sure that it wont be the RAM because I've tried memtest before with all passes. I have also replaced them with some corsair dominator 2x2GB and still had a problem before I returned them.
                  I'll fill my sig in. (I have actually got it posted somewhere anyway, just a case of copy/paste)

Bad VGA as in the graphics card or one slot of the graphics card? Because I've tried another monitor before.
                  Doubt its the OS because it started with XP and then vista and now windows 7.
                  Bad VGA as in the card. I've known a couple of cases where cards caused hard crashes like yours although not many.
                  PSU problem could also cause something like that. Better do what Conners say and grab a multimeter.
                  Also, do the crashes happen when the system is already warm or when it's cold too? Anything overheating?
                  Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 SLB9Y @ 3.8GHz, 1.36V
                  Thermolab Baram + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
                  Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev.1.6, FB
                  G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B x 2 @ 448MHz
                  XFX GeForce 7100GS
                  Western Digital WD6400AAKS + WD1600AAJS
                  BenQ DW1650, Pioneer DVR-115BK
                  Antec Sonata II, Corsair CMPSU-520HX
                  Gelid Wing 12 x 2 @ 850RPM
                  Enermax Aurora Premium KB007U-B, Razer Diamondback 3G
                  Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP Rev.A04 (LG.Philips IPS), Grado iGrado Black
                  Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 x 2 @ DD-WRT + Tomato

Comment

@henson - There's no need for a memtest because it started when the RAM was new. Also I brought some corsair dominator as I thought that was the problem but it wasn't because the problem still exist with the new RAM. Therefore problem lies somewhere else unless I'm unlucky to have 6 faulty RAMs....(tried with 1 stick of RAM)

@conners - The PSU could be changed but they aren't really cheap for a half decent brand. However since I'll be building a new I7 build it's going to be quite inconvenient – I will have no time to fit the PSU in. (They’re picking up the computer while shipping my components to me.....)

@EekTheCat – So it may even be my graphics card.... That is something I don’t intend to replace if I’m honest.
                    I don’t think the crash has anything to do with the temperature because it can be underload with temperature of 55 Max, and still not crash but it can crash when the temps are idle at 35. (The temps are on 3.2Ghz, so on stock it will likely 47max, 30idle)
                    Using rainmeter, it stated that my computer has been on for 18hours for general work and gaming but next day it can crash in under 30mins.

On the test with multimeter, any recommendation for which would be a decent one?
                    And this guide would be enough to test?
                    Code:
                     http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

PS: Its going to be hard to see if its the PSU when I decide to replace it seeing as the computer hasn't crashed or anything for the past 10 days....weird.
                    Last edited by Leungwk01; 11-18-2009, 01:06 AM.
                    Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
                    Nvidia GTX 260
                    6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
                    Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
                    WD 1TB HD
                    Antec 1200
                    Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

Are you manually setting your memory multiplier/strap, memory and Northbridge voltages? If not this could be the issue, with 6GB at stock or not you need to set a few things manually

I would also advise you to be sure you are using the latest BIOS as well. You can check current version if you are unsure by looking in CPU-z Mainboard tab or by pressing F9 on the MAIN BIOS Page. Latest BIOS for your board and I do suggest using it is F4
                      GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

If you flash please read this guide and DO NOT use @BIOS >>

It really does sound to me like a memory issue, slight incompatibility, or incorrect settings.

There is ALWAYS a need for Memtest, and this is the suggested version >>
                      Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

New ram or not, it can be faulty on day one when you receive it. I do see you bought additional memory but I just wanted to make that clear to you as you should not be ruling it out as a non-issue due to the fact that it is new ram.

Now that you do have 6GB, this also brings in more issues to consider. First you need to be sure they are the same model/specs/version. So are they? And for sure you will need to set some BIOS settings manually with 4-6GB, Auto is not going to work or be stable. If you will accept that this may be the cause, can you please give me your full current settings and I will advise back. Template is in my signature

As for PSU Testing, yes that guide would be fine if you wanted to test that way. You could also just do a simple check with a PSU Tester such as this, of course it wont be as detailed though but it will tell you if your PSU is failing
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-18-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        Are you manually setting your memory multiplier/strap, memory and Northbridge voltages? If not this could be the issue, with 6GB at stock or not you need to set a few things manually
                        I would also advise you to be sure you are using the latest BIOS as well. You can check current version if you are unsure by looking in CPU-z Mainboard tab or by pressing F9 on the MAIN BIOS Page. Latest BIOS for your board and I do suggest using it is F4
                        GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

If you flash please read this guide and DO NOT use @BIOS >>

It really does sound to me like a memory issue, slight incompatibility, or incorrect settings.
                        There is ALWAYS a need for Memtest, and this is the suggested version >>
                        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
                        New ram or not, it can be faulty on day one when you receive it. I do see you bought additional memory but I just wanted to make that clear to you as you should not be ruling it out as a non-issue due to the fact that it is new ram.

Now that you do have 6GB, this also brings in more issues to consider. First you need to be sure they are the same model/specs/version. So are they? And for sure you will need to set some BIOS settings manually with 4-6GB, Auto is not going to work or be stable. If you will accept that this may be the cause, can you please give me your full current settings and I will advise back. Template is in my signature
                        Code:
                        [URL]http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/new-built-pc-overclock-problem-28774/index2.html[/URL]
                        Post #16

As for PSU Testing, yes that guide would be fine if you wanted to test that way. You could also just do a simple check with a PSU Tester such as this, of course it wont be as detailed though but it will tell you if your PSU is failing
                        CoolMax Ultra Deluxe 24-Pin Power Supply Tester w/ LCD Display Products Model: PS-224 [PS-224] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
                        Last edited by Leungwk01; 11-18-2009, 02:07 AM.
                        Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
                        Nvidia GTX 260
                        6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
                        Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
                        WD 1TB HD
                        Antec 1200
                        Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

Code:
                             ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
                            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4
                            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8
                            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 58
                            Read to Precharge Delay__________4
                            Static tRead Value_______________8
                            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV] Not there
                            CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]               Not there
                            GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]      Not there

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.2V]
                            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.2V]
                            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]
                            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.38125V]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                            No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                            x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                            Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                            Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                          Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
                          Nvidia GTX 260
                          6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
                          Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
                          WD 1TB HD
                          Antec 1200
                          Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

Originally posted by Leungwk01 View Post
                            Code:
                               ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
                              Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4
                              Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8
                              Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 58
                              Read to Precharge Delay__________4
                              Static tRead Value_______________8
                              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV] Not there
                              CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]               Not there
                              GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]      Not there

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.2V]
                              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.2V]
                              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]
                              CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.38125V]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                              No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                              C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                              x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                              Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                              Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                            I'll post the results of memtest when I'm back from school.
                            Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
                            Nvidia GTX 260
                            6GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400
                            Corsair 64GB X64 SSD
                            WD 1TB HD
                            Antec 1200
                            Arctic freezer 7

Windows 7 x64

Comment

Thanks for your updated settings. Can you please post me your full settings so I can advise back suggested ones to use for 4GB?

Let's try 4GB alone now please until we can get you going

And please do go ahead and update the BIOS first, be sure to read the guide so you do it correctly and don't run into any issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X