GA-MA790X-UD4P AMD RAID drivers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA790X-UD4P AMD RAID drivers...

Paranoia creeping in here. I just tried to intstall on my new system using the "F6" AMD RAID pre-install drivers. Win 7 is not on the Gigabyte provided disk (not surprised), but Vista's is. Can we spell BSOD? So I download the latest and greatest Win 7 drivers from the Gigabyte web site and now there is a delemma at least in my mind.

One driver is for pure "RAID", the other is for AHCI raid.
    The pure raid has a version number of 3.1.1540.127. The AHCI driver has a version number of 1.2.0.125.

My question is the name of the vanilla raid driver, the one with a version of 3.1... is called ahcix64s.INF and references a ahcix64x.cat file
    The other driver for AHCI is amdsata.INF and references amdsata.cat.
    Is that right? I have old WD drives that do not have NCQ nor am I interested in hot swap, so was going with the vanilla...until I see the name of the INF file and referenced CAT files.

Paranoia strikes deep....hmm...Jefferson Airplane? Can I run AHCI even though my current HDDs won't/can't take advantage of it? No issue if I can't, just want the correct drivers.

Do not want to upset the applecart again with the BSODs.

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!

Re: GA-MA790X-UD4P AMD RAID drivers...

For the record, I've just turned in a support ticket on this problem. It is becoming painfully aparent...and understandably...that this site caters to the Intel set. This is unfortunate as I was going to start asking how to OC, but if I can't install the opsys, then OC'ing is a moot point.

Comment

Choose the RAID for RAID and AHCI for AHCI, it is that simple.

I do believe you can get the latest driver direct at AMD, I know we can for Intel from Intel.

Comment

Lsdmeasap,

If AMD has those drivers, they're not giving them up easily. Heck they don't even list the 790X chipset, only the 790FX and THEN, they don't list any drivers. This is going to be no fun at all.

Am going back to Gigabyte and recut the wrong(right?) drivers and try yet again. I really hate the color blue.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Sorry I forgot a lot of them may be bundled with ATI Catalyst Drivers, but you can get them seperately.

Here is the two pages I know of at AMD to get drivers.

Chipset
          Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Catalyst, separate components, and RAID drivers
          Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Comment

Thanks again LSDmeasap.

But...there is always one isn't there?

Here is the message from AMD regarding their driver:

RAID Driver
            Warning: This driver does not provide custom configurations used in OEM systems and is recommended for use with retail AMD motherboards only. Installing an incorrect RAID driver may cause problems with your RAID device, including possible damage to your RAID array.

Well, I guess it's bombs away!!!!

Comment

LSD,

I would never have found those drivers. Thanks. I had to use the VISTA drivers as there aren't any for Win 7 yet, not that it makes any difference.

No BSOD, so you have come through for me yet again and I am deeply grateful.

Now to install the rest of the stuff. I've made 2 raid sets over 3x250GB WD disks. First is 75 GB of RAID 0 for my flight simulator stuff.
              The second is all the rest of the drives in RAID 5 for everything else. This will do until I can afford something like 500, 640 or 750GB drives to again be RAID5. BTW, the memory seems to be happy in the secondary slots and I have them set as GANGED which seems to mean single dual channel??? Not sure what that means. Will read some posts and get a concensus.

There is so much to experiment with and now the learning curve goes straight up JUST as I was learning Intel. Oh well, once this is sorted out and having the Black Edition of the 955, should have some "fun".

BTW, ended up going with the Xigmatek cooler as it even fits just fine. I'll have to watch the temps now and see how it does.

Thanks again LSD.

Comment

Anytime man, that's why I am here!

About that message, it would apply to you anyway since you are using Retail boards. That is just for Dell or HP users, whom may need something specific. You need the retail drivers that are linked. They work for Dell/HP as well most of the time, they just include that warning for that 1% of the time they wont to cover their arses :)

Glad to see you got it all going smoothly. No windows 7 drivers? Hmm, thought I saw that on the page? Maybe not, if you want I can look again? Either way, once you are all installed you can manually update it again to windows 7 drivers once you find them from within the OS

*Ahh*

I see what made me think that, they do say Windows 7, but all those actually link to the same as the vista choices anyway.

I always suggest Ganged is for Dual channel with memory in the dual channel slots, so you are all good sounds like. Both are actually dual channel, here is some info on that >>
                Just some info for you guys. ganged mode is 1x128bit dual channel unganged is 2x64 bit dual channel Some motherboards are reporting unganged as single channel at boot, this is not true, if you see anyone saying they have defective memory please point them to this post. Ganged will give higher sandra bandwidth at this time than unganged, this is because sandra does not fully support phenom and is working in 1 thread mode. Once sandra supports Phenom unganged 2x64bit will take the

Sounds like a good cooler choice, good luck on getting everything finished up with your build!

Hey, sorry we are all Intel users here, nothing we can do! HAHA, We can try to help with AMD but we just aren't the best people to do so. Nothing against you or AMD at all though.

Comment

Working...
                X