GA-EP43-UD3L will not Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP43-UD3L will not Shutdown

When I shutdown my system, the operating system (both Vista 64 and Win7 64) shutdown, but the power supply fan, cpu fan and system fan continue to spin. The only way to completely power off is to press and hold the power button for more than 4 seconds. Can anyone help me resolve this?

Re: GA-EP43-UD3L will not Shutdown

When you boot afterwords there no message from windows it was not shut down properly?

What BIOS version do you have?

Comment

I have bios F4 and Windows displays no message regarding problem with shutdown.

Comment

Sounds to me like you are putting the system to sleep, not shutting it down. Don't be offended by that comment, just letting you know as some users are unaware that vista and windows 7 default shut down button is actually sleep and not shut down.

You must either manually change this buttons function in the power control panel, or click the little arrow on the start menu power down button and actually choose shut down.

Did you know this? Just wondering, if you did not know that please do test now by clicking shut down as shown in this image and let us know if that works or not >>

You may also want to go ahead and update your BIOS to see if that corrects things, if any of the above was not the issue. Latest BIOS is F7a for your board
        GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP43-UD3L (rev. 1.0)

Be sure to read this guide if you are not familiar with BIOS flashing
        http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me and no offense taken as sometimes it is the simple things. Unfortunately not this time. I had already checked power profiles and confirmed that shutdown was the default. However, as a test, I tried sleep, which actually shutdown the system and powered down the fans - I was abla to resume from the keyboard. So sleep seems to work properly, but shutdown leaves all the fans spinning.

One last thing, I am reluctant to flash the current F4 bios to a later version as the later versions are for Revision 1.0 and my board is Revision 1.1. I don't find any bios to download for Revision 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Divergent_Species View Post
            One last thing, I am reluctant to flash the current F4 bios to a later version as the later versions are for Revision 1.0 and my board is Revision 1.1. I don't find any bios to download for Revision 1.1.
            Are you sure about that? There's no sign for rev 1.1 on GB site.

Comment

I am sure on th revision. Right below the PCI slots, it says Rev. 1.1. That is why I am reluctant to do anything with the 1.0 bios downloads. I also see no reference on the GB site to Rev 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Divergent_Species View Post
                I am sure on th revision. Right below the PCI slots, it says Rev. 1.1. That is why I am reluctant to do anything with the 1.0 bios downloads. I also see no reference on the GB site to Rev 1.1.
                I can concur. I just built a new WHS using this board and it clearly states on the mobo itself - rev 1.1.

Comment

Yes better be safe than sorry. Ask GB support and see what they say.

Hibernation is the same as shutdown, you can try and see if it works.

Comment

def not putting it to sleep. In windows 7 when i put my system to sleep the whole system shuts down. everything stops.
                    -Antec 900
                    -Corsair 750TX Power Supply
                    -GA-EP45-UD3P v1.0 w/ F6 bios
                    -Q8200 Core 2 Quad Yorkfield @ 2.33GHz --> OCed to 3.2GHz Stable
                    -Masscool Ice Cold 7WA001 HSF (30C idle, 57C full load)
                    -EVGA GTX 260 896mb
                    -OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB 1066 DDR2
                    -WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM (main)
                    -WD Caviar Green 500GB 7200RPM (backup)
                    -Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by FonduJack View Post
                      def not putting it to sleep.
                      Do you mean hibernation fail also?
                      Hibernation is not sleep, it is shutdown(S5), and reboot normally.

BTW does restart from windows boots normally?

Comment

It will restart from windows normally. I have not tried hibernation, but sleep works. I have contacted GB support and awaiting a response.

Comment

What do you have the BIOS sleep option set to S1 or S3?

Please flash to the latest Rev 1.0 BIOS, they are the same

Comment

Thanks again for replying. I have tried both states S1 & S3 unsuccessfully. I just flashed to F6 as you suggested, which is the latest stable version, but it did not fix the problem.

I am still awaiting Gigabyte support to open my e-mail - hopefully they have a suggestion.

Comment

Ahh ok, Well let us know what they say. All sounds very odd to me, but you know I can't help from here other than the advice I have already offered.

Not sure what else it could be?

You could try a clean or dual install of Any OS, and see if you notice the same results

Comment

Working...
                              X