EP45-UD3P Auto voltages question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P Auto voltages question.

I have a UD3P (rev A3) running F7 bios. I'm running an E8500 on it. I've recently upped the FSB to 380 to get a 3.61 ghz clock. CPU-Z is reporting the core voltage at ~1.22 (dropping to 1.18 under load). I'm not having any stability problems but I have one worry. I left all the voltage stuff at "auto" and I've read in a couple places that auto might be dangerous. I'd like to up the FSB to 400 but I need to understand what auto is doing first.

I'd assumed that auto means it picks a stock number based on what chip it sees. Is it automatically upping the voltage based on my OC though? If it is how do I find out what it's setting them at currently?

I understand most of those settings so I don't mind changing them to manual values but if it has been automatically upping the voltage on the NB/SB and other stuff then I have no clue how to figure out what I should set them at manually to reach my current stable clock. Will I have to go back to square 1 if I start messing with these values manually? Any info is appreciated.
    Last edited by dorn; 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM.

Re: EP45-UD3P Auto voltages question.

In general it is not recommended to leave voltages on auto if overclocking, read this post.

Please post a screen capture of EasyTune -> Tuner -> Advanced -> Voltage tab.

A3 is the chipset rev. not the board, you have either 1.0 or 1.1 it is printed above the last PCI slot I/O panel side.

Comment

Ahh duh I forgot about easytune since I didn't want to mess with it.

Imageshack - easytune

So are those the numbers in the grey boxes the one's it's currently using on auto?
      Last edited by dorn; 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Those on the right(Target) are being used, and all seem to be as defaults.
        Does the computer boot only once when starting from cold? No red message when you enter BIOS M.I.T?

Comment

I just booted it from cold and it only appeared to boot once. I'm unsure what it would look like if it actually booted twice though?

Also when you say red message where would it appear? I'm guessing you're speaking of a specific red message instead of the general ones that say "if you mess with this setting you could screw things up".

I'm not having any problems with it currently anyways. Is there something about my easytune numbers that looks bad? I haven't had enough time for a full 24 hour prime95 yet but I ran prime95 overnight with no errors. I was planning to save a full 24 hour run for higher settings.
          Last edited by dorn; 11-29-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Multi boots are usually noticeable, but sometimes are very short, and the computer shut down before the fans even start spinning. Then when you enter M.I.T a red message about incorrect OC settings pop up.

I asked because BIOS will usually change settings when left on auto while overclocking. Does CPU-Z report the right FSB, Bus Speed 380 and Rated FSB 1520?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
              Multi boots are usually noticeable, but sometimes are very short, and the computer shut down before the fans even start spinning. Then when you enter M.I.T a red message about incorrect OC settings pop up.
              Yea I'm definitely not getting anything like that.

I asked because BIOS will usually change settings when left on auto while overclocking. Does CPU-Z report the right FSB, Bus Speed 380 and Rated FSB 1520?
              Yep it's definitely OC'ed and running at 3610 mhz. Bus is 380 and Rated FSB is 1520. Memory is all where it should be as well. What causes it to change the settings usually? Is it possible easytune is wrong?

I thought it was odd that I didn't have to mess with the voltages and the vcore didn't seem to be going up. That's why I started reading and came accross comments recommending against using the auto values.

Plus if easytune is correct those numbers seem low based on what I read elsewhere. All of that seems to point to a good chip but I'm paranoid so I can't really believe I lucked out for once.

Comment

Higher FSB usually cause the settings to change.

I don't think EasyTune is wrong though everything is possible, but there are no other means to read them(that I know of).

Comment

voltage stuff covers a bit.
                  the voltages i know of that go high at v high cpu host frequency say 450 + are cpu term and pll.
                  To 450 cpu host (1800 fsb) auto doesnt seem to be dangerous..
                  you can see what cpu core v is being sent to your cpu after you post by checking pc health in bios..
                  You shouldnt do any damage by keeping all auto till 450 cpu ref,if it boots ok for you and is stable.. after that.. or before if it isnt working you may have to manually enter figures.
                  Post your own complete bios settings or check older threads.
                  Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                  Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                  Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                  8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                  60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                  GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                  Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                  http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Looks like some solid advice here, I will be on my way :)

Let me know if you need any of my help here guys

Comment

Working...
                    X