EP43-UD3L New Build - Fans Spin but No Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP43-UD3L New Build - Fans Spin but No Post

I just started a new build for a friend with the EP43-UD3L every component is brand new. i can not get the board to post. I wanted to ask for a itemized list of things to check and eliminate to either get this board to post or RMA. I can get the power supply, heat sink fans and video card fan to spin up but no post or signal to the monitor. The memory and video card works perfectly in my computer. I made sure the CPU keying to install was correct. Need advice and guidance to get this to post. I am pretty sure if I get it to post I can take it from there. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by maestromark; 12-04-2009, 11:06 PM.

Re: EP43-UD3L New Build - Fans Spin but No Post

Well, maestromark If these are the specs
    ntel e5200 @ 3.33ghz|Gigabyte EP43-UD3L F7|OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-800 CAS 4|Sapphire 3650 512meg DDR2 Video Card|Seagate 500GB SATA|PC and Power Cooling 510 ATX
    You might be able to get in to the bios with 1stick of ram instead of 4. Then we can add all 4 in once your stable. Does this help? We'd be more than glad to help you get started!
    Last edited by R_Hollandtekk; 12-05-2009, 09:50 PM.

p45 ud3p 1.6 fb stable but fd fails or is it just my ocz incompatibility?!? This guy has problems uniquely similar to mine. I'm starting to think this ocz brand is just not that great. JR P45 driving me crazy!

MB Rev: ga-ep45-ud3p 1.6 Bios Ver: fd
    Cpu:E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB
    Ram:OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
    PSU:Antec EA500
    Chipset: Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX
    SB: TT Extreme Spirit II

Comment

I see BIOS F7 is used so you must have flashed it. Can you get into BIOS setup?

Please add a link to memory specs on OCZ site or at least model/part number to your signature.

Would it not post with all 4 memory sticks or not even with one or 2?

If you can post with one stick run memtest86+ on each of them (4-6 passes each) then one known good stick in each of the other slots, then 2 sticks in dual-channel mode in each pair of slots.

For all sticks you will need higher MCH Core, try 1.2v then 1.3v. Also set Performance Enhance to standard.

Check PC Health for applied memory voltage, set it manually according to specs if it is set too low.

EDIT: also set XMP(if you have this option) to disable for 4 DIMM configuration for now.
      Last edited by Chike; 12-05-2009, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen, this is "MY FRIENDS NEW BUILD I AM BUILDING FOR HIM". My build stated below which is 9 months old works perfectly We both have the same mother board and CPU but his other component choices are different then mine. So if you please can start from scratch on diagnosing the No Post but All Fans Spin question please as asked above.

So the question is I can not get HIS build to post but HS and RAM and Video Card fans spin up on pressing the power button but NO POST. I need a trouble shooting list to get HIS build to post and I can take it from there.

Mark

Comment

Out of the box minimal build for a start. You can put the board on it's box, a pice of cardboard. One stick of memory VGA card and the CPU, PS/2 keyboard preffered.
          Check the M/B and CPU socket for visible defects (broken capacitors, bent pins etc.)
          Make sure the CPU, VGA card and power connection are properly seated.
          Load optimized defaults if you manage to boot, save and try to add another stick.
          Since you have a working memory you can test with one of yours if his doesn't work.
          Then another VGA card/CPU/PSU.

What kind of case he has? Does it has standoffs to mount the M/B?
          Is there any signal from the VGA card?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So its not needed to have it in the case with the case Power Switch wiring and what not attached to the board to get it to turn on the Motherboard or anything.

Mark

Comment

You will need the power switch connectedto turn it on.

Comment

So it would be easier to leave it in the case. I am sorry if I am not understanding you perfectly.

Mark

Comment

Taking it out eliminates posibility of shorts caused by the case, also make it easier to spot physical damages, if you are convinced there are none than leave it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                    Taking it out eliminates posibility of shorts caused by the case, also make it easier to spot physical damages, if you are convinced there are none than leave it in.
                    Thanks for the reply your logic is sound. I will probably report back tomorrow on my findings. And we can go from there. I was just tired of messing with it hehe

Mark

Comment

You can short the pins to start the board, use a screwdriver and touch the pins together with it. That or you could also set the board on a box or wooden table close to the case and make it close enough that you can still wire up the power switch if you do not want to short the pins yourself

I advise you do this and get the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray. Then try start it with only one stick of ram in slot one, your CPU/Heatsink, and the GFX Card. NOTHING else, this will eliminate shorts and other faulty hardware.

Did you check for bent pins in the CPU Socket? This is what you should check next. Also what cooler are you using, are you sure it is not causing a short on the front ot back of the board? If you are unsure try booting with the Intel Stock cooler

Comment

A tiny update.The board is out of the case and on cardboard. I have totally removed the battery and put on a cmos reset connector that I had from a old junked motherboard. Its been on for about a hour now (the cmos connector to reset the cmos). So now its the bare motherboard with cmos battery out and cmos reset connecter attached. Does the reset of cmos help anything?

I remember when I had cmos problems with my own board using the reset connector straightened it out. I also pulled Xigmatek S-963S heatsink off and made sure the CPU was installed correct as it is basically keyed to install correctly anyways. I did not notice any defects on the board up reinspection of the board front and back which I did carefully. Will board and peripheral component fans spin up even if there is no CPU present? Also thanks for the heads up on being able to short the power switch to get the board jump started so to speak. Its saves hassle in troubleshooting the issue of connecting the power supply connector from the case which is relatively short so to speak (i.e. long enough to connect inside the case only) I must say, I really enjoy you all sharing your trouble shooting knowledge with me as it improves my skills and for that I say thank you.

Mark
                        Last edited by maestromark; 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Yes, resetting the CMOS can often help with various issues.

No, you must have a CPU installed and memory for the board to start. Good luck with the testing and please do let us know how you get along.

Hey, did you check the CPU Socket for bent pins? If not you may want to do that as well while you have it out of the case. Keyed install on the CPU is important but I am saying to actually look at the socket pins to be sure none are bent, broken, or out of alignment

Comment

Just a side question does the P4 connector relating to the power supply have to be used (it is used on my computer) as his power supply cabling does not have sufficient length to spread to where the P4 connector is related to the main connector, because of sleeving of the cable causing the issue. I will also check on the pins on the cpu extremely carefully as per your advice and get back to you. Also how long should the cmos reset connector be on as to totally clear the cmos?

Mark
                            Last edited by maestromark; 12-06-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

YES you MUST use a 4 Pin ATX 12V CPU power connection or a 8pin EPS 12V CPU plug, or the board will not start. You will need to arrange the wires so you can connect this or you will not be able to use the system

20 minutes should be fine to clear it, sometimes it only takes a few minutes or seconds though and other times it may take much longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X