Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-ex58-ud5 drive related issue

Hello,
    I recently got rid of my old C2extreme set up and bought a UD5 Gigabyte mobo with the 920 I7core. I have the latest Bios F9e from Gigabyte. I have called Gigabyte and they are the worst customer service team I have ever dealt with since I have been building systems.

Onto My issues....

Specs....

Gigabyte UD5 Mobo
    Intel 920 I7 @ 4200mhz water cooled
    Nvidia GTX 275-SLI
    3GB Gskill Pi-black 1600Mhz
    BFG tech 1000W modular power supply
    Drives:
    150GB WD Raptors in Raid0
    74GB WD Raptor
    74GB WD Raptor
    Samsung Writemaster DVD
    LG Blueray Writer

This is set up with the 2 150GB raptor drives on the GSata controller (white ports) with the OS on them.
    The rest of the drives are on the blue ports.
    The two Opticals are on the top most ports and they are recognized by the OS.
    The two 74GB hard drives are on the ports under the top ones but not both on the same set of ports. meaning one is right above the white Gsata and the other one is right below the Optical drives..
    This post could get alot longer if I was to explain what I have already been through trying to get all these drives to show up. So I will just say that right now with them set as stated above the Only drives NOT showing up are the 74GB raptors. Though one did say that the drivers failed to install when I first restarted. This is driving me crazy and I would appreciate it if someone can show me how to set these up where they will all show up.

The OS drives are always visable on the Gsata ports but depending on weather I hook up the Blue ray player is what seems to determine wether or not the 74 GB drives show up. if I unhook the blue ray player they show up. And if I have it plugged up they vanish. Please help!!
    Intel i7 3960K
    Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
    16GB mushkin Redline 2133Mhz
    EVGA Superclocked 570 SLI
    2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
    2x 640GB WD Caviar Black Raid Sata 3
    1X 1TB WD Caviar Black Sata 2
    HP X12 Bluray Burner
    1100W ABS Majesty 80+Gold PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    H100 Corsair and Cooler Express

Re: Ga-ex58-ud5 drive related issue

This is really driving me crazy. I had all the drives showing but the OS loads generic cd drive drivers for both the blue ray and the dvd burner so that in windows 7 they both show all the time as CDdrive. And when you put a BLANK disc in it gives a message that its not the right format. But it will play and run factory discs. Thats on BOTH drives.
    And then when I unhook one of the opticals then restart then microsoft loads the correct drivers.

I know that this blue ray player is compatible with my motherboard because Gigabyte tehnical says it should work . The only problem with talking to them is that they have a foreign woman that answers the phone and then asks you your phone number and alot of questions only to tell you now she needs to get you to the correct person,puts you on hold again and then sends you to some guy that cant speak proper english and literally sounds most time that he is speaking another language.On call back the first woman will ask your phone number and in anticipation that she is going to send me to someone else I tell her that I just would like to be sent to someone else only for her to demand my phone number and then this time say im not in the system!! So they are worthless.
    Intel i7 3960K
    Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
    2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
    HP X12 Bluray Burner
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Comment

Problem solved..
      It seems in windows 7 if you turn off the autoplay feature it will cause the drives to go out of wack. I turned this service off and it worked fine when only one drive was hooked up. Its when you hook a second optical drive up where the problem comes in. It seems that now though neither will autoplay with a disc in it they both do only show up when a disc is inserted and they show what type of drive they are when they do show up whereas when this problem was happening they both showed as a cd drive and they are not supposed to show unless a disc is in them in win7. This is stupid though because what if someone wanted the auto play feature in Windows7 with both drives installed? they just wont get that feature but at least both of their drives will work.
      Last edited by abeeftec; 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM. Reason: would had been a missunderstanding in a sentence
      Intel i7 3960K
      Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
      2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
      HP X12 Bluray Burner
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Comment

What you really need to do is install your OS disks on SATA2_0 (Blue) and any additional drives after that, then put your CD/DVD on the last SATA2_5 port. Blue ray may also go there, or the Gigabyte ports.

BUt you really should have your OS disk installed into SATA2_0, SATA2-0/1 if you are using RAID for your OS. Backup your data before you move your disks around and this often will corrupt Data if you move disks around in an array.

Comment

There is only one problem with changing the OS raid array to the blue set of ports..
          The blue ports are not Gsata. Only the white ones are. Those are the ones that are ran by the Jmicron controller and automatically set up raid without needing to change the bios setting to raid. That means it leaves the remianing 6 blue ports for either AHCI or IDE without changing any of them to Raid. it is supposed to keep the raid array away from the other peripherals..ie... Opticals and other drives. and it does that.

Im not following you though. Why would you want to put the opticals on the Gigabyte ports? they are for raid arrays. They are new technology for Raid array only. There is settings in the bios under System backup where you access the Gigabyte ports. they are connected as ... Port0_0/1 and Ports1_2/3. each of those sets of ports are designed for automatic raid arrays.They are the white ports. there are 4 of them. The remaining 6 can be set up into raid arrays but you would have to change the ICH SATA CONTROLER from IDE to RAID to set up an array on the blue ports.

That leads me to try and understand what the meaning of two type options in the bios are.... At the top of the Bios page Integrated peripherals is ICH SATA CONTROLLER and the options are IDE/AHCI/RAID.

then on the bottom of the same page is something called.. SATA CTRL
          The options there are IDE/AHCI only. No raid setting there. and in this one it says... causes sata ports to FUNCTION in IDE/AHCI mode
          AND the top options (IDE/AHCI/RAID) says this causes the sata ports to WORK in IDE/RAID/AHCI mode

Now.. what the heck is the difference between FUNCTIONING in those modes and WORKING in those modes?!
          remember.. the top one says ICH and the bottom one does NOT say ICH.

I could imagine how bad this would get if I actualy hooked the included ESATA backplate header into the remaining two ports and hooked up my external drives!! GEEEZZZZ this is stupid.

CAN someone who has this board make some sense of all this? Please?
          Intel i7 3960K
          Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
          2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
          HP X12 Bluray Burner
          Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Comment

Yes you are right, the Blue ports would need Intel Drivers installed, thus meaning you would likely need to reinstall.

The GSATA Ports are very slow for RAID and should be used for backups not for your OS

RAID On the Intel Blue controllers will allow any device to function aside from the array, Those would just be non member drives is all and function as AHCI via the RAID Driver. I use RAID on this controller and also have two NON Raid Drives and a DVD Burner, all fine.

I mentioned putting your optical on the Gigabyte controller in case you ran out of room using the Intel one is all, or had an issue with your Blue Ray on the Intel one.

Yes you would need to enable RAID on the Intel controller before you could install to it that way. It would be MUCH Faster for your OS to be installed here, that is why I suggested you move things around

Here is how you would set the BIOS for what I described

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
            SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. RAID
            SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports)
            Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
            Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE or AHCI (Or RAID if you had a secondary storage array)

eSATA would connect to the Gigabyte ports and you would want to use AHCI and one of the following Drivers depending on your wishes of how things functioned >>

RX.XX.XX - Driver would get eSATA setting from BIOS/Option Rom.
            RX.XX.XX_eSATA - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device with WriteCache Enabled.
            RX.XX.XX_eSATA_WriteCacheDisabled - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device with WriteCache Disabled.
            RX.XX.XX_No_eSATA
            ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

Comment

There is only one problem with preloading drivers.

There are none for windows7 at all. when you go to the site they are not there. sure they are there for vista and there is one more that says... NON vista but None fore anything else.

I mean how can you preinstall a driver when its not signed for a specific OS and when you try to load them it says this driver is not signed and then it exits that menu and your back where you started. I thought that those discs were for XP and that Vista already has them. Why cant I just install the intel drivers now and be done with it? I am not getting this whole preinstall thing. I thought you preinstall because you cant see the drives without a driver. Well how can you see them in the list after you set them up in raid in the bios if they arent there and need a driver
              I mean i set my system up now without a driver and saw it when setting up windows7 so im not getting it.
              am i missing something?
              Intel i7 3960K
              Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
              2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
              HP X12 Bluray Burner
              Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by preloading drivers? Do you mean during OS install? If so, they are not needed with Windows 7 using the Intel ports, but you can use the latest pre-install ones from Intel if you like, or update them after you install by installing the Matrix Program >>

Sorry, I read as I reply. So I see you did mean Pre-OS install, all of the above applies then. They do not need to be signed or anything like that, I use them myself for x64 systems and have no issues.

Comment

Thanks alot man. I have went batty trying to figure this out and everyone has been telling me I need to preinstall drivers and I have been telling them since vista came out that these new OSes come with storage drivers in them preloaded. And the only way you need to install driver during the OS install is if the motherboard is alot newer then the OS because in the case of My new GIGABYTE motherboard if I was installing Vista I would Need to preinstall the intel drivers because Vista only has ICH6R and maybe up to 8 in it already. SO i would need to preinstall ICH10R if I was installing VISTA. But since I am installing Windows7 and Windows7 has the INTEL ICH10R already in it I do not need to preinstall drivers.

I had people telling me that I needed them and instead of just doing what I know I listened and was getting angry that Gigabyte didnt release any preinstall drivers for win7.

Thanks alot I appreciate your help.

One more thing if you dont mind. My power LED is blinking. 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. And even when its not overclocked and all the sleep mode stuff is off. Is this normal?
                  Intel i7 3960K
                  Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
                  2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
                  HP X12 Bluray Burner
                  Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Comment

Ya, they are not needed with Vista or Win7, but I always advise you do go ahead and install them as they would be better than the default MS ones.

Both Vista and Windows 7 have RAID and AHCI Drivers, but I do advise you use the latest from Intel anyway.

Your LED blink means that DES is installed and running, please uninstall the DES Program or if you want to keep it there is a LED button/setting on the GUI you can disable.

Comment

Hey,

Goofy issue now and maybe its just that its junk and doesnt work

I tried using the DES just to check it out. Also tried the Easy tune6

They both freeze the PC up in win7 64. The EasyTune will come on. And then if you set the overclock to the second settings green light or set change the setting in the other section higher then cruise the pc locks up and needs to be restarted.

The DES TOTALLY locks up but didnt when i first tried it out. Its doing it now for no apparent reason. Are there Bios settings I need to change to make them work properly? Not that I really would use these tools for any reason other then just wanting to check them out. But I cant see that gigabyte makes a supposed utility for overclocking and it will not even go past start! Sound like there may be something going on more then just the utility not working.
                      Intel i7 3960K
                      Gigabyte X79-UD7 Bios F3
                      2x OCZ VERTEX 3 Max IOPS
                      HP X12 Bluray Burner
                      Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Comment