X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R cold boot issue

Core system as follows:

mobo: GA-EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, ver F11)
    mem: corsair dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D (4 sticks, 4gb in total)
    cpu: Intel Q8200
    video: 9500GT 512mb (gigabyte)
    psu: c/master RealPower 550W

all cased up in a nice new gigabyte case,
    pair of seagate sata HDD,
    sata DVD multi drive and I threw in an old IDE dvd burner I had lying around aswell.

My problem:
    Initially, system would not boot, POSTing repeated short beeps and then boot cycling. The fix for this was to pull half the ram out (channel 2), which would allow me to get into BIOS, where I would need to reload the optimized defaults and then set the memory voltage to 2.10V. Then I could put the rest of the ram back in, and the system boots fine.
    Once it boots it runs like a dream, no problems...
    Until I go to switch it on the next day, and it's back to the original error. (this is the 5th day running same problem every time)
    I'd really rather not have to repeat this procedure every time I need to cold boot the machine.

Thoughts? Any particular BIOS settings I should look at? Is it likely to be a fault?
    If I don't load the optimized defaults on the MB Intelligent Tweaker page the problem is not solved. The settings are retained, but if I dont reset the page and then set it up again it doesn't work.

I would also like to take this opportunity to voice my utter disappointment with my supplier, Computers and Parts Land (Melbourne, Australia, www.cpl.net.au YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!). In particular the member of staff who calls himself Steve, who has been nothing short of rude and condescending, not to mention completely useless. (If you're reading this Steve, please do the world a favour and jump off a bridge).
    I've been in there with faults 3 times in 3 days, at the end of which he tells me to set the RAM voltage to the wrong value without even looking at the sticks. If you think you know so much more about PC's than anyone else, why are you a computer SALESMAN?
    So, reader, if you want to buy a system with 50% faulty parts, and then be told you must pay $35 per part to be tested (may as well just add $35 to the price of every part), after which they will just tell you that the problem is without doubt the first thing that pops into their head, without looking or testing, then by all means purchase your equipment from Computers & Parts Land, which has several locations in Victoria, Australia.

Not looking for an answer to the rant, just the problem. Although anyone with the power to come down on CPL like a ton of bricks please go ahead. I would be only to happy to provide more details of their incompetence if it will cause them trouble.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R cold boot issue

Check out this post for basic bios settings.
    The MCH Core setting might be part of the problem.
    Post your bios settings if you're still having problems.
    Be sure to run Memtest86+ (v4.x) to ensure that all of your memory modules are OK.

Good luck.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R cold boot issue

Many fast beeps means incorrect memory settings as you suspect or have been advised. Normally this is tRD (Static tRead Value) set to low in the BIOS by you or Auto. Set this yourself to 9 for now for both channels, and then you will be able to use all sticks and should not run into this beep error.

4GB always needs some manual adjustments, Auto will not work properly. If you will give me your full settings in a template from the link in my signature I will advise back on optimal settings for your setup

Comment

Working...
      X