No announcement yet.

Bios amd phenom and ram timings questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios amd phenom and ram timings questions?

Hi i have some questions about my bios. I have motherboard m52l-s3p rev 1.0

First of all, i have patriot viper low latency 800 mhz memory installed on the board. When i set the timings correctly windows 7 "ultimate 64" does not boot, and on auto it sets the timings incorrectly.

The timings for my memory are 4-4-4-12 and the voltage is supposed to be 2.1 volt. Seems like the mb runs them at 1.888 voltage as i can se in bios. Voltage increasing is confusing for me.

It says to increase +0.25 or 0.025 on cpu nb and cpu. I have installed them same color dimms for dual channel.

Can someone help me adjust the memory or explain what to do with the voltage?

And what is the K8 nb k8 ht multi ? What are the stock values for those?

The other question is about cpu, i have phenom 720 be x3 am3. How should i set it up to work best on stock? I know the stock multiplier is x14 but what is the nb, is it x10 2ghz? Can i increase it, what does it do?

How do i adjust voltages for the cpu? Voltage is damn confusing?:)

I really dont want anything set to auto, just want to set everything myself and run it at stock.

And whats up with the different bios versions on the webiste, can i install f5? GA-M52L-S3P (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

It says: F5 2009/11/11 Support EuP Lot 6 function (for rev 1.2 only)

But its on the list for my revision, currently running F4. anyone know what Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 does? :)

/Ola

Re: Bios amd phenom and ram timings questions?

If you want you can try this.
    Go into bios press the ctrl and the f1 at the same time. Set DDR voltage as follows save and restart in bios. Follow instructions below also.
    Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    CPU Frequency (MHz) [200]
    PCIE Clock (MHz) [100]
    CPU Clock Ratio [Auto]
    CPU NorthBridge Freq. (Note) [Auto]
    CPU NB VID Control (Note) [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
    CPU HT-Link Voltage [Normal]
    Chipset Voltage Control [Normal]
    DDR2 Voltage Control [[COLOR="DarkRed"]Manual[/COLOR]][COLOR="DarkRed"]+0.3[/COLOR]
    Normal CPU Vcore 1.500V
    Go into bios to PC Health Statues and post your settings here.
    If you want you can use this template to get your settings.
    Code:
    PC Health Status
    Reset Case Open Status [Disabled]
    Case Opened No
    Vcore 1.376V
    DDR2 1.8V 1.872V
    +3.3V 3.328V
    +12V 12.112V
    Current System Temperature 30oC
    Current CPU Temperature 47oC
    Current CPU FAN Speed 3375 RPM
    Current SYSTEM FAN Speed 0 RPM
    System Warning Temperature [Disabled]
    CPU Warning Temperature [Disabled]
    CPU FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
    SYSTEM FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
    CPU Smart FAN Control [Enabled]
    CPU Smart FAN Mode [Auto]
    System Smart FAN Control [Enabled]
    And what is the K8 nb k8 ht multi ? What are the stock values for those?
    Auto or 9x or 900 =1800Mhz
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...0WFGIBOX).html
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

That did the trick.:) Ram is now 2.2 volt and much faster and system more stable. Btw, why is ht only 1ghz. Isnt it supposed to be matching the nb 2ghz? Is it because of am2+ and i have am3 cpu?

Still confused about the f5 bios, can i use that bios or have they misplaced the file. Safe to flash it? Is it both rev 1.0/1.2 compatible?

/Ola
      Last edited by olapaulakoski; 01-08-2010, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Be sure to check your PC Health Status
        Isnt it supposed to be matching the nb 2ghz?
        The NB Frequency should not be set higher. I noticed when I change the HT Frequency the NB Frequency changes automatically. CPU world has this HT frequency stated as 1800Mhz But AMD has it listed at 4000MHZ This would be 10X multi. 200 system bus X 2 for DDR thus 4000Mhz Shop AMD United States: Processor-In-a-Box SO
        HyperTransport comes in four speed versions—1.x, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1—which run from 200 MHz to 3.2 GHz. It is also a DDR or "Double Data Rate" connection, meaning it sends data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal. This allows for a maximum data rate of 6400 MT/s when running at 3.2 GHz. The operating frequency is auto-negotiated. Your motherboard lists the Hyper Transport Bus @ 2000 MT/s
        CPUZ is a small program that will list your HT Link Frequency on the cpu tab and the NB Frequency on the memory tab so you can see what it is in Windows. CPUID
        Still confused about the f5 bios
        It states for 1.2rev only
        I would stick with F4 bios for now.
        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
        Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Ok. I have 1000mhz on ht link. The options in bios are k8 link width and speed. No k10 options. Max multi is 5x. Should i lower the nb multi, nb is 2000mhz. My cpu/fsb is 200.

Currently i have everything set manual. x14 for cpu = 2.8ghz. x10 2000mhz for cpu nb cpu z reports 2000 mhz when on auto, 800mhz 4-4-4-12 ddr2 2.2 volt all other voltages are on normal.. I have tried to match up all auto settings and try to get everything to stock manually.

No spread spectrum option is enabled, cool quiet is disabled. All fan control etc are also disabled. 60C warning system/cpu only. Im not fond of gigabytes fan controls.:)

Btw whats up with the k8 options. This is a bit strange, isnt k8 a athlon feature i have phenom II be 720. Isnt it supposed to have k10. Does it really disable cool quiet then?

My system specs btw: corsair tx650w psu. phenom II 720 be 2.8 ghz. xfx 5770 ati. windows 7 ultimate 64 rtm. ddr2 800 mhz patriot viper extreme performance low latency 4-4-4-12.

/Ola

Comment

Maybe i should buy myself a am3 motherboard instead. Gigabyte of course. Bought this cheap one just because i bought all the components at once. Just that cpu switching is so damn scary, dont want to break any pins.

ha ha.:) Getting of track here, are my settings any good? Should i change fsb to get higher ht-link to match up nb freq? How does that affect ram and what settings for that then?
            Last edited by olapaulakoski; 01-11-2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

When you enter bios press and hold the Ctrl key and press F1. Release them both at the same time. Always perform this on the main or first BIOS page. If you watch closely the Bios will flicker on your screen. This should allow access to more advanced options. No you don't need to lower NB. Set the NB to Auto and the HT Link to Auto. The Cool n Quiet option in bios is only to allow software to use AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology I do not disable cool n quiet. My system has enable disable and auto. I set it on auto. On auto setting it can be turned on or off by programs in your OS. This is my preference. If you are not using any of the programs it does not matter. If you are using the programs their also should be adjustments in the programs or at least an option to turn the program off.
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
                When you enter bios press and hold the Ctrl key and press F1. Release them both at the same time. Always perform this on the main or first BIOS page. If you watch closely the Bios will flicker on your screen. This should allow access to more advanced options. No you don't need to lower NB. Set the NB to Auto and the HT Link to Auto. The Cool n Quiet option in bios is only to allow software to use AMD Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology I do not disable cool n quiet. My system has enable disable and auto. I set it on auto. On auto setting it can be turned on or off by programs in your OS. This is my preference. If you are not using any of the programs it does not matter. If you are using the programs their also should be adjustments in the programs or at least an option to turn the program off.
                ok thanks.:) What programs are using cool n quiet then? :) I know about the f1 hidden menu.:)

How about the memory? Im not sure the memory is really stable when i set it to stock. When i set timings and voltage to auto it sets it as 5-5-5-8 i think and 1.8 volt instead of 2.2 volt as they are rated at and they become a bit more stable but memtest shows no errors when on stock timings and volt. The memory is 2X2gb viper patriot extreme performance low latency PVS24G6400LLK.

How does the memory affect the cpu?

Im at work now but im going to do some experiments when i get home. Havent run the memory in auto for a while, maybe try that and check cpu-z 1.8 volts less heat if stable then better right?

/Ola

Comment

Here is a good program that will allow you to adjust that Phenom and set the cpu multipliers and voltages up or down to get the best results from that cpu. I use it to raise and lower the cpu core voltage and CPU-NB VID You can set them up or down. Also it allows you to adjust the multipliers on each core. You can do all of it in Windows. If you overset your system may lock or reboot and you can set it again. It is a software program that does not affect the BIOS. You can download it and try it. Check it out here-----> PhenomMsrTweaker: Cool & Quiet customized
                  Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                  Logitech G500 USB mouse