I want my certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want my certification

Does anyone here have a CCNA, CCNP, or MCSE certifications? I'm thinking of getting mine and I wanted to find out how easy or hard it is. I heard I have to take a four semester class for the Cisco certifications.

I was also thinking that these courses I have to take are expensive and given the volatility of technology, I fear that by the time I do get a certification, there will be new standards and my certification will be obsolete. Take MCSE for instance; Microsoft release a new Windows version within 3 years. That means I only have a 3 year time frame to flaunt my certification before I need to get another one. Which means taking more classes and spending more money.

We need a tweakers certification.

Comment

Your A+, Cisco and similar certifications should remain valid for a good while. Though there are changes in this area, it can usually be resolved with some additional training to the certificate... not an entirely new certification requirement.

I would think that Microsoft would be the same way with its MSCE, but who can say with Big Brother?
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

You don't actually have to do the four semesters of work to gain a CCNA... you just have to know the stuff on the CCNA certification exam, which is a seperate shindig altogether.

Comment

A lot of ppl buy the course/text books and go for it then just pay to sit the test itself. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

If the next OS from MS makes full use of the secure computing initiative that Bill has been talking about, I suspect the certifications will have to start over from scratch:laugh:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

there will never be such thing as "secure computing"

Comment

I'm about to complete Semester 3 of my CCNA training, and if you can afford the training, I highly recommend it. Apart from the standard knowledge and stuff you learn, you also pick up tricks of the trade, and little hints from others in the class, which is very handy. You can still back it up with the big thick text books too, which are another great resource.

I've also done the training for a couple MCP modules, and I could easily get away with doing a couple others, which would qualify me for an MCSE as well. I'm waiting for the local testing centre to be set up before I do the tests though.

Comment

<YODA VOICE>Always with this one the waiting</YODA VOICE>
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I went to the book store and saw the 12 inch thick books. I don't think I can learn on my own:geek:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                      <YODA VOICE>Always with this one the waiting</YODA VOICE>
                      :p

Comment

mind you, certification doesn't mean that you know what your talking about - all it means is that your good at exams
                        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Yeah the number of things that in theory should work often don't and those that don't often do. :D
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

What kinds of jobs does someone with a Cisco certification can get hired for? I was wondering if I can get a job with just a certification alone and an impending college degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar
                              mind you, certification doesn't mean that you know what your talking about - all it means is that your good at exams
                              You've still got to have some idea about what you are doing...

And last night I finally finished Semester 3! woohoo.. one more to go

Comment

Working...
                              X