No announcement yet.

Question to Runcore about upgrading FW on a non-CD-bootable laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to Runcore about upgrading FW on a non-CD-bootable laptop?

Hi all!
    I have my problem solved!. See my big post below (about 5th or 7th).

------------------Original message----------------------

Hello, Runcore!
    I have 32G Pro IV ZIF model RCP-IV-Z1832-C with numbers 14043200 and 320910080249 purchased from MDD.
    I have it installed im my so-tiny Sony X505 laptop that has no bootable options except Network and genuine Sony Firewire CD drive that i don't have.

Generally the drive is woking fine, except that i have not-faster-than-UDMA33 issue, and sure, because of GC found in new firmware, i want to try it!

The QUESTIONS are:
    1)Must i first upgrade from 1571 to 1819 and then to 1916? I have 1571 now.
    2)In 1571->1819 instructions there's Step 6:
    6) Delete all partitions on the target RunCore SSD in the drive options (advanced) of installing Windows.
    That is the problem! I can't boot from anything but network (and my netowrk has Acrons PXE Server), so the best way for me is to prepare a DOS boot image with FW upgrade tools, then boot Acronis from PXE, clone that image to the laptop, boot from it and upgrade firmware. Then boot from net again and clone back my XP system image.
    Why can't i do that? Is this a 100% must to delete all partitions?

Hope you answer soon! Thanks!
    Last edited by dvlad666; 03-13-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: Solved issue

Re: Question to Runcore about upgrading FW on a non-CD-bootable laptop?

uhh, dvladd, doesnt that machine have USB?
    or is it saying it's not bootable from USB?

Comment

Sure it has, but "It's a Sony", all those early Centrino ultraportables from Sony were capricious,so booting only from Firewire and network.

Comment

Originally posted by dvlad666 View Post
        Sure it has, but "It's a Sony", all those early Centrino ultraportables from Sony were capricious,so booting only from Firewire and network.
        Directly from 1571 to 1819 firmware your ssd will be defective. So you must upgrade from 1571 to 1819 and then to 1916.

And the D-die flash upgrade from 1571 to 1819 must delete all the partitions on target the RunCore SSD. So you may need a bootable USB CD-ROM and a Win7 install CD.

If the above method is unsuccessful, you can choose to send it back for upgrade.

Comment

OK, thanks!
          BUT where to get the 1819 firmware? I can't find a link to download it!
          if you want to email it to me please send one to [my_nick_on_this_forum]@mail.ru

Also, may i do both (1819 and then 1916) upgrades one after another, without having to reboot and power off a laptop?

Comment

Ok,i've finally got a reply from Runcore (about couple of weeks ago) and time to do the upgrade!
            So my laptop is only able to boot from Sony Firewire CD (which i don't have) and network.

The task - to Upgrade rom 1571 to 1916
            Let's say i somehow have a usual working system (WinXP) installed at the beginning.

Solution-Step1: Upgrading from 1571 to 1819
            1)Prepare a network booting solution. Mine was Acronis-based (Snap Deploy has Network booting server) to boot Acronis Trueimage and Disk Director from network.
            2)Install GRUB4DOS on the system.
            3)Add a RAM-based WinPE bootable .ISO to the GRUB4DOS. This ISO shoul read all it's contents into RAM first, otherwaise it won't be bootable using GRUB4DOS. I used Vasalex USB/CD WIM Edition.
            4*)Create a bootable Floppy image (i used Winimage to edit it) with 1916 Frimware patcher on it and sabve as .ima and add it to GRUB4DOS too (actually this will be needed for solution 2)
            5)Boot form WinPE.
            6)Make a full disk backup to image.
            7)Delete all partitions on a hard drive (don't worry, you WinPE does not run from hardrive, it runs completely in RAM)
            8)Patch firmware to 1819.
            9)Reboot/Cycle power. Your hard drive will be updated and clean***
            10)Boot from network using Trueimage.
            11)Restore full disk image to an upgraded hard drive.
            12)Done!

Solution-Step2: Upgrading from 1819 to 1916
            1,2,4) See Solution 1.
            5)Boot from DOS floppy image created using GRUB4DOS.
            6)Patch the firmware.
            7)Done

*** Actually at this moment my drive was recognized in BIOS and Acronis Safe (i.e. DOS-based)mode, but caused crashs in Full mode (i.e. linux-based). So i was not able to restore from image file (Only Full mode supports network and USB). What i did was booting Disk Director Safe mode from network, erasing the drive and creating an empty FAT32 partition on it, then ccleanng the drive, and creating again. After that i was able to see the drive in Trueimage Full mode.

OK, guys, if some of you want to do the same but don't know all the words mentioned, you'd better take a screwdriver (or a friend :) ), disassemble your laptop and put the drive into normal bootable system OR send to Runcore for upgrade. I just was too lazy to do either of these.

Network booting and GRUB4DOS booting are essential steps, test their "bootability" before doing anything if you don't want to have your laptop 100% clean and unable to fill itself with OS and stuff.

Sure, this guide is not a only-one-way solution, some steps can be done different ways or changed with smth different at all (i.e. use USB booting instead of network booting).

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X