"a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart"

This error came up out of nowhere when I tried to reboot. I tried using my XP recovery/install CD to recover the 200gb Windows XP boot partition and chkdsk could not even start. I couldn't even see the drive from the XP recovery mode because the "dir" command yielded an error about the partition being unreadable. Yet this same drive has my Linux partition on it and I can boot into Linux just fine. Linux can even mount the "unreadable" Windows XP boot partition and copy the files off, so that seems to preclude any kind of SATA cable/hardware error. I took out the drive and mounted it in an enclosure and another system saw the partition just fine; I was able to do a chkdsk on it from there (unlike with the XP install/recovery disk).

Linux can interact with this partition just fine... why would Windows have a boot-up problem with it out of the blue?

Thanks in advance!

Re: "a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart"

Okay so I put in an PATA drive into the EIDE part and installed Windows there. Windows did boot up under there.

I tried 2 consecutive brand new SATA drives that I bought today, in place of the old one, and installed Windows from scratch on both drives. Windows still refused to boot: after post it tried to boot and then froze.

Why is it that my system can recognize a SATA drive and it booted from the SATA drives before, but suddenly right out of the blue it refuses to boot? I made no changes to the BIOS until I needed to make it boot from the EIDE drive. Why won't it just load the data from the drive? Linux can still read the data.

There's got to be some way to force it to read the data and boot Windows...

Comment

Working...
    X