Etherfast not fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etherfast not fast

my xp machine i was running a dlink hub and changed it to a linksys switch. i thought i could get bettter performance if i went from realtex network adapters to linksys 10/100 adapters. after i got them loaded i keep getting a note pop-up in my tray that says:

"Linksys: a network cable is unplugged"

everything is plugged in. also, i am getting very poor performance in IE.

:wave:

You sure everything is configured properly and there isn't a break in the hardware or the cable?:?:

Comment

Yes, its all plugged in. I just rechecked it all again. The only difference is between the realtek nic and the new linksys nic i just installed. I wasn't getting this message before with the realtek card. the old card was 10 mbps, this one is 10/100.

Comment

What it is, is the driver. Are you just using the drivers in XP themselves or have you downloaded the latest from the manufacturer?
        I had very similar happen to me with an Intel nic, under Win98 it was fine and you could disable the "cable disconnected" warning but with XP that option wasn't there so XP wouldn't use it. The thing was that there were no update drivers for XP for that particular card. :(
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I think it is the driver too, but I can't update it. Everytime I try I get an error saying the name is already in use. I also can't remove it because i get an error message saying it needed to boot the machine up.

anyway I can over-ride this error message so it accepts the latest driver?

Comment

Yeah the Intel nic I have here that does my broadband connection works fine in 98SE but has the same trouble with ME and XP. :(
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Most 10/100 nic's need to be in a bus mastering slot to work properly. Check your motherboard docs to be sure. The old 10mbps cards usually didn't care which slot they were in.

Comment

the guy at linksys told me to set the nic to 10baseT and that he would send a note to the dev team. He didn't even address the slot the card was in. I'm pulling the card and putting the old one back in.

Comment

Working...
                X