Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't RMA graphic card due to bloated capacitor? (XFX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't RMA graphic card due to bloated capacitor? (XFX)

Is it true for other manufacturer that bloated capacitor are definitely caused by user?

The card must not be functioning in order for it to be send in for warranty claim?
    Last edited by pokkax; 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM.

Re: Can't RMA graphic card due to bloated capacitor? (XFX)

No I had a new Sapphire card HD 2600 When I installed it I noticed wavey lines when I had a solid color back ground. They sent me a new one. The amount of time I had it may be why they did not question it.
    I am not wise to the swelled capacitor though. I know if you told them you oced it they will more than likely refuse it. Was it overheating?
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
      No I had a new Sapphire card HD 2600 When I installed it I noticed wavey lines when I had a solid color back ground. They sent me a new one. The amount of time I had it may be why they did not question it.
      I am not wise to the swelled capacitor though. I know if you told them you oced it they will more than likely refuse it. Was it overheating?
      I didn't OC this card. Enough performance from GTX 285.

Well. Benchmark max temp around 92 or 94 degree Celsius

Comment

A bloated capacitor?

Did it happen to one of those old electrolytic capacitors? If so, only wear and tear can cause "bloating" or a dodgy batch of capacitors.
        Asrock P55-Extreme
        Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
        2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
        ASUS HD5850
        1TB Samsung SATA II
        Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Comment

You can still RMA that. Bloated caps is also a defect and should be replaced under warranty period.

I dont see a capacitor on that picture
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Please see My Websites: PixShare - Free Photo Hosting | PixProxy - Stealth Browsing

Comment

I agree, although I can't tell from your image what the problem is, but bloated or exploded capacitors is manufacturer's fault

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                I agree, although I can't tell from your image what the problem is, but bloated or exploded capacitors is manufacturer's fault

Some picture i took using my camera instead of my phone.

Anyway, they list it as burn mark(Kaira).
                XFX respond was excessive solder.

Comment

That is a resistor, and if that isn't a known "Mod" resistor spot they should honor a RMA for you.

If it is a known Mod then they can see you tried to mod it. If it isn't then it is their fault in manufacturing that excessive solder was put there.

It does look to me like someone soldered there though, and did a bad job at it. Was this a used card you just got, or did you try to do something there?

You can easily fix it though if you know how to solder

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    That is a resistor, and if that isn't a known "Mod" resistor spot they should honor a RMA for you.

If it is a known Mod then they can see you tried to mod it. If it isn't then it is their fault in manufacturing that excessive solder was put there.

It does look to me like someone soldered there though, and did a bad job at it. Was this a used card you just got, or did you try to do something there?

You can easily fix it though if you know how to solder
                    Well. This is a new card from box.

It's a ceramic cap cause the name beside start with C instead of R.

Comment

That is a resistor... You can RMA that.

@Lsdmeasap

I don't know if that kind of resistor is for sale in electronic store. I haven't seen one on my side. First you don't know what is the value, unlike bigger resistor with color coding.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Please see My Websites: PixShare - Free Photo Hosting | PixProxy - Stealth Browsing

Comment

Ya, he would need to find a similar resistor on something dead and replace, but he would need to know how to solder/desolder SMD first before even trying.

It is a SMD Resistor, and since that is a new card in a box I would send them receipt showing you just bought it and explain further because they probably took one look at that and thought you tried to modify it somehow and just gave you a NO without thinking twice about it.

Comment

Please update us on progress of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by pogsnet View Post
                            Please update us on progress of the situation.
                            well. they said they tested it and it's was working fine.

After taking it bad, i still encounter TDR.

While using their loan card , i didn't encounter any TDR :D

Comment

Tdr?

Comment

Working...
                              X