Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two boards unstable... something is not right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two boards unstable... something is not right.

About a month ago my system which had been running flawlessly for a couple of years started locking up or crashing at random times. Eventually it degraded to the point where it would do this even at stock settings. I thought it was the CPU, but I wasn't getting any benchmark errors and raising the voltage didn't make a difference. I swapped out the PSU, RAM, and eventually got a new motherboard. Now the strange, unexplainable part is it worked fine for about two weeks then began to do it again! Now the new board randomly locks up even on stock settings again just like the old board.

The lock ups seem to occur less frequently when I raise the ICH I/O and ICH Core voltages, but speeds and other voltages and timings don't seem to have made any difference. The lockups happen primarily when watching videos, using a music app, or playing a game. I can run Prime95, OCCT, and Everest's benchmarks without any errors. The only other thing that locks the PC up is Firefox when viewing Javascript-heavy pages, but that happens rarely.

So I am guessing it's either the GPU, or maybe one of the hard disks are failing somehow if the ICH is involved. I haven't gotten any disk errors, no BSODs and nothing in Event Viewer. Switched SATA cables already too. It's hard to believe it's the GPU because I don't get any artifacts when watching videos or playing games, just an eventual lock up at random times--maybe within 15 minutes on average. The sound might stutter at first, then go into a loop, finally the whole system locks up completely, or sometimes it just instantly locks up.

Re: Two boards unstable... something is not right.

is the cpu the same from when it was in the first board? it could be faulty,what brand of gpu is it?? evga?ect
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Re: Two boards unstable... something is not right.

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
      is the cpu the same from when it was in the first board? it could be faulty,what brand of gpu is it?? evga?ect
      Same CPU and GPU as in the first board. An E7200 and an MSI NX8800GT. Why would they work for two weeks after I swapped boards and then break down again? I checked the seating and cables, seems to be ok. Temps are ok. I guess I'll have to try underclocking the GPU next, unless anyone has any ideas.

UPDATE: Starting messing with the CPU termination voltage. Raising it to 1.28 with the vCore at 1.306 (1.28 in Windows) increased stability significantly. Went through about an hour of videos with only a single lock up, before I was lucky to get past one. This still doesn't explain why there are no errors during benchmarks. Seems to be bandwidth related?
      Last edited by Toadeater; 03-03-2010, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X