No announcement yet.

EX58-UD5 - SATA/AHCI Not working anymore... Won't even let me format!! HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 - SATA/AHCI Not working anymore... Won't even let me format!! HELP!!!

Hi all,

I upgraded my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 bios from F3 to F12 a couple days back. My Windows7 was setup just fine to run AHCI (UDMA 7 as shown on HDTUNE)

I took apart my computer yesterday to re-do the wiring, tuck everything nice and clean.
    I changed the slots that some of the HDs are connected to, and then when I rebooted, all my SATA drives stopped working!

Here is the error I get:

-----

Serial ATA AHCI Bios, Version iSRC 1.20E
    Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation_________________________23
    ** This version supports only HardDisks & CDROM drives **
    Please wait. This will take a few seconds.

Controller Bus#00, Device #1F, Function #02: 06 Ports, 05 Devices
    __

------

It just freezes on the above screen, if memory serves correctly, the number 23 was always showing as 16 before when everything was going fine.

So I went to bios, resetted the defaults to IDE, and voila, the computer now boots flawlessly, all my drives are working etc.

So I go back to bios, change it to AHCI / Native, and same problem, reset to IDE, it works, change to AHCI / Legacy, and same problem.

So I figure, no problem, I will format (the answer to everything), so I reset, and change it back to IDE, and then change to AHCI/Native before spamming F12 to get to boot menu so I can format. But the boot menu happens after the screen, so now I can't even get to the boot menu that will let me boot from CD if I have the system set to AHCI!!

So I reset to IDE, boot from CD, format, reinstall Win7, no problems. Change it back to AHCI, and the problem is back!!

I know for sure that when I installed last year, I had set my bios to AHCI BEFORE INSTALLING WINDOWS 7, but now it seems I can't even do that.

It seems that I am stuck using all my drives in non-sata mode forever now??
    This can't be right... Surely there is a work around...

Oh and I did a search for: bios hang "serial ATA AHCI BIOS, version isrc" on google and got this Google . It looks like the problem is mainly on gigabyte motherboards, but I don't see a solution, most say just set to ahci and reformat, I'd love to but I can't do that cause it won't let me get to the BOOT FROM menu with bios set to AHCI!!!

THANKS A LOT!
    Last edited by super-fly_2010; 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM.

Re: EX58-UD5 - SATA/AHCI Not working anymore... Won't even let me format!! HELP!!!

set bios back to ide,boot into windows then do this,it will re-install the ahci drivers without reformatting/re-installing windows

to enable ahci in windows 7 without re-installing
    1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

restart pc and go in bios,enable ahci and save exit,then when you start windows again it will install the ahci drivers
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Re: EX58-UD5 - SATA/AHCI Not working anymore... Won't even let me format!! HELP!!!

Hi, I exactly had the same problem as described by you. AHCI bios was showing error 23 unless I remove the boot drive which had w7 installed previously in IDE mode.

I had to completely erase the hard drives (using third party tools) and reset the bios and set bios in to AHCI mode and installed windows and then it worked( I initially thought my hard rive was faulty as it was not recognising the drive).

It was tricky because you can't erase until you boot in to windows, but if you boot into windows to wipe the hard disk using IDE mode, it wont boot(error 23. boot partition may contains some files related to IDE mode)

My suspicion is that this behaviour is due to the combination of gigabyte boards and the new intel ahci bios.
      I hope this helps

Regards,
      Chandy

Originally posted by super-fly_2010 View Post
      Hi all,

I upgraded my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 bios from F3 to F12 a couple days back. My Windows7 was setup just fine to run AHCI (UDMA 7 as shown on HDTUNE)

I took apart my computer yesterday to re-do the wiring, tuck everything nice and clean.
      I changed the slots that some of the HDs are connected to, and then when I rebooted, all my SATA drives stopped working!

Here is the error I get:

-----

Serial ATA AHCI Bios, Version iSRC 1.20E
      Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation_________________________23
      ** This version supports only HardDisks & CDROM drives **
      Please wait. This will take a few seconds.

Controller Bus#00, Device #1F, Function #02: 06 Ports, 05 Devices
      __

------

It just freezes on the above screen, if memory serves correctly, the number 23 was always showing as 16 before when everything was going fine.

So I went to bios, resetted the defaults to IDE, and voila, the computer now boots flawlessly, all my drives are working etc.

So I go back to bios, change it to AHCI / Native, and same problem, reset to IDE, it works, change to AHCI / Legacy, and same problem.

So I figure, no problem, I will format (the answer to everything), so I reset, and change it back to IDE, and then change to AHCI/Native before spamming F12 to get to boot menu so I can format. But the boot menu happens after the screen, so now I can't even get to the boot menu that will let me boot from CD if I have the system set to AHCI!!

So I reset to IDE, boot from CD, format, reinstall Win7, no problems. Change it back to AHCI, and the problem is back!!

I know for sure that when I installed last year, I had set my bios to AHCI BEFORE INSTALLING WINDOWS 7, but now it seems I can't even do that.

It seems that I am stuck using all my drives in non-sata mode forever now??
      This can't be right... Surely there is a work around...

Oh and I did a search for: bios hang "serial ATA AHCI BIOS, version isrc" on google and got this Google . It looks like the problem is mainly on gigabyte motherboards, but I don't see a solution, most say just set to ahci and reformat, I'd love to but I can't do that cause it won't let me get to the BOOT FROM menu with bios set to AHCI!!!

THANKS A LOT!

Comment

Plug your OS drive into SATAII_0, this should correct things. Also be sure your CD/DVD is plugged into SATAII 4 or 5.

If that does not help, leave your drives connected in that fashion as that is how they should be, then clear your CMOS fully and then start the machine and load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot F10 back to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS again after that set AHCI again and try once more.

Sorry fellas, just noticed I replied to a older post. Hopefully he solved this already, and all the tips above can help anyone else who runs into this issue down the road.
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-12-2010, 12:10 AM.

Comment

hi guys i have the same probelm right now.

HELP ME PLIZ!!!! What i ave to do exactly???

Comment

problem solved deleting all partitions on the hard drive with a 3rd part tool.

thx!

Comment

So all good now? If so great to hear!

Put your OS Disk on SATAII_0

Comment

yes all is fine thx to you! I hope ths post can help lot of people!!!! have a good day! bye bye

Comment

Thanks to me, looks like I was gone until after you solved the problem?

Post back anytime if you need more help with your GIGABYTE products, we are here to help!

Comment

Working...
                  X