USB ports not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB ports not working

It's the stranges thing. only some of my USB ports work and if I push another device into the ports or the same device (print) into another port it gives me a error message. device not reconized.

I went to devices and no yellow caution showing.

Suggestions?...anyone. HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Re: USB ports not working

Are you using the latest Intel Chipset drivers?

If not please install the latest, you can get it here

What board and BIOS are you using?

Comment

Yes, I am using the latest INF.

Board: H55M-UD2H
      BIOS: Award - F4

Comment

OK, please explain your issue in further detail then.

Tell us what happens exactly, and with what USB Devices

Comment

Not quit sure where to start.....

Band new system built with Windows 7 64bit OS in new 1T HD.

Whatever is plugged in to the ports initially work.
          But if I plug anything else into them, it will error...."device not reconized".

I am able to plug the initial device back into the same ports.
          But even unplugging it is a risk of it coming back with an error due to
          an interruption or reading of a new devices.

Yes, I've had this issue before and was able to overcome it (by accident) when
          I installed the INF file provided with the board CD.

Yes, I have tried to fallback (reinstall) the CD INF again to no avail.

Comment

same problem here,

I'll try to explain.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Bios F5
            CPU i7 920i
            6 GB DDR3 Triple Channel Corsair RAM
            PSU 850w OCZ Gamexstream
            Mouse: G5 Logitech
            Keyb: Saitek Eclipse
            External Storage: Seagate Freeagent DESK

All USB ports seem to be working fine when in Win 7 at first but...
            USB keyboard and mouse work 'fine' but are configured as general HID devices and not the specific brand, so for example I cannot use logitech software to customise my mouse settings.
            External Hard disk is not recognised. When plugged in Windows comes up with the message 'USB Device Not Recognized'

After searching forums, some users with similar problems suggested to disable in Device Manager some USB Root hubs. I disabled the last USB Root Hub on the list there, and suddenly the mouse was now recognized properly ' Logitech HID - Compliant G5 Laser Mouse'. The Keyboard still remains Generic. External hard drive still not recognized

I played a bit more with disabling / enabling USB Root Hubs but nothing improved. Its annoying as sometimes you disable the USB hub which actually has the keyboard and mouse on and you are left with no choice but to restart with power button !!!!

None of my external peripherals have any problems (all work on my laptop). This is def. a Gigabyte mobo problem along with series of other problems that I have for this board.

The BIOS (F5) is ****e to say the least. I updated intel inf chipset drivers from Gigabyte website. Don't know what to do. Any help much appreciated.

Comment

Please use the latest INF direct from Intel listed above, it is likely newer.

Often times though unless there is major changes updating it will not work and nothing will install. You can manually update them one by one from the downloadable ZIP file though there at Intel.

This could be a BIOS issue, since installing the INF drivers once should be all you need to do. Although I cannot comment on installing the old ones off install CD's or old ones from Gigabyte's website as I always get the latest ones at Intel or somewhere else. Doing so now for you guys may prove to be futile though as described above, if this is even the cause which I suspect it might be because these two instances are the only ones I have seen of this issue. Do older BIOS act the same, this would easily rule out the BIOS as the issue.

Were you both using windows 7 drivers for a while, then install Intel ones from either CD or Gigabytes website first, and not Intel direct? If so, then this may be the problem. A clean install, or uninstalling and installing one by one in safe mode (Delete driver after uninstall) would be the only way I can think of to remedy this if is really is driver issues.

Comment

If I understand you correctly,

Your suggesting that I login safemode, uninstall all USB drivers and reinstall the INF from intel.

Only issue I have with that is my KB and mouse are USB.

Will that disable functionality?
                Is there and outline on how to do this effectively?

Comment

same as sbpg

if you can tell me exaclty what to do that would be great, i tried installing uninstalling manually installing dasabling etc. lots of times... no result (using always lates from intel extracted manually to folder)

Comment

Yes, please try uninstalling the USB Drivers in Safe mode (With the delete driver option so windows does not reinstall). Then install one by one from Intel, the zip package not the exe.

It may affect your KB/Mouse, can you use a PS2 one while you do this?

Only one way to do this. I would do as described above and uninstall/delete drivers, then reboot BACK TO SAFE MODE. Then install the drivers via device manager one by one pointing the update wizard to the extracted inf files folder.

If you do, or have done this, and it does not help then this is not the issue something else would have to be to blame, possibly the BIOS.

This could be a BIOS issue, have you guys submitted a ticket with Gigabyte to see if they are aware of any issue similar to this? If not please do, and let us know what they say
                    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Not trying to pass you guys off at all, just making sure they are aware of this so if they are not already they can look into a fix if the BIOS is to blame.

Comment

Working...
                    X