Weird EP45T-UD3R issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird EP45T-UD3R issue

I loaded W7 onto this board several times, it has an Intel Q9300 S775 cpu, and 8Gb of OCZ DDR3 memory - and everything runs at stock settings - or it did.

I upgraded the F5 original BIOS to F6, which proved stable.

Subsquently I went to F7 and experienced all sorts of strange issues, so reverted to F6.

Later I tried F8 when it replaced F7 (and I notice that afterwards F7 was removed from Gigabytes server, presumably because it was pants!)

Under F8 I started to get random BSOD's, but couldn't be bothered to read the dump files, I just figured a return to F6 was all I should do.

So there I am running F6 which was always stable, and I decided to reformat and reload Windows7 because I had switched from using Acronis TrueImage in favour of Macrium Reflect, and I wanted to make various stage restoration images with Macriums software as it's not compatible with Acronis' archivage.

After reloading the OS yesterday, and without anything on board except Live Messenger, Windows Security Essentials, and Macrium Reflect (all of which were test loaded in the past and have never caused issues) I noticed that some strange errors occurred on a Civil Service website I was on. I had to input information into the sites form fields; and when I did this I noticed the text I typed appeared from right to left and not how it should have!

Closed the site. Ran a few diagnostics, including a malware scan, and rebooted after doing a command line sequence for a complete chkdsk repair on the boot volume. Everything went perfectly.

However when the system rebooted I had issues.

The moment I hit the Windows desktop the start menu self-executes and the search field automatically fills with the alphabet, from A-Z, repeatedly - pushing CPU use to the gate, and preventing access to anything else on the start menu.

If I could manage to open specific folders they'd be overlaid with other files and folders I'd not opened or called.

In notepad documents the alphabet is repeatedly rewritten automatically.

I figured it was a virus.

Attempted to reboot in safe mode; same result.

Attempted to reboot using the W7 DVD to run setup again. It went so far, but within two minutes the Gigabyte 'Express Restore' function invoked, causing the W7 installer to be buried beneath other windows, and no matter what I tried I cannot access the W7 setup interface.

Attempted to reboot using Easeus Partition Manager Professional, from a CD-ROM. Same result, the alphabet constantly scrolls in the command form field and prevents me from reformatting the boot partition!

Now I removed the HDD, slaved it to another machine, and reformatted it as NTFS and wiped every section of the drive, I then destroyed the partition so that the Windows installer could reformat it according to what W7's requirements were.

Ran Setup from the W7 DVD, and I got the Gigabyte Express Recover screens overlaid on top of the W7 installer GUI.

This means something in the motherboard isn't behaving correctly.

I see no point in resetting the CMOS with the onboard pins, as I can access the BIOS from the keyboard perfectly OK, or at least I could until now.

When I go into the BIOS the MIT screen opens by itself and ESC does not get me out.

I reflashed another clean copy of the F6 BIOS from a USB stick I had just formatted and this made no difference.

I performed a reflash again, but killed the power during the process. I had hoped this would cause the BIOS ROM chip to self activate and reload the 2nd BIOS chip with the original factory BIOS; except it didn't - I still had F6 onboard!

I wondered if my keyboard was duff, so I swapped it out for another, same behaviour was ongoing - so I eliminated that from the possibilities.

What can I try next?

Is my mainboard defective? Has my CPU gone belly up? Is there a way to force (or are there special software tools?) the BIOS ROM to reprogram the active BIOS chip?

I have reached the point of virtually concluding the board has bricked, but if anyone can tell me about other steps I can try it'd be appreciated.

There's a short video clip of what happens uploaded here:-

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Muth; 04-11-2010, 03:27 PM.

Re: Weird EP45T-UD3R issue

Please follow steps 1-4 in this post to provide some more information. If you haven't made any changes in MIT you can skip step 3.

Comment

The board is a Rev 1.0 build.

Other points in the thread you point at are irrelevant, all the required specifications are already mentioned in my original post.

I doubt somehow it's either the Q9300 or the OCZ ram making these A-Z writes... and there's no artifacting evident, nor other common graphics display issues...

Other components are a OCZ 500w PSU, and the cooling is more than adequate on the case and the CPU. Graphics are generated by a Palit HD4850 512Mb Sonic PCI-E card.

As far as I am concerned it's a viral issue, but if the virus has affected the system BIOS then how do I recover the original factory BIOS from the No2 BIOS-ROM chip?

Deliberately sabotaging a BIOS reflash, to corrupt the working chip, does not result in the board reloading the original BIOS (as I've already stated).

I'd like to know if Gigabyte have any special software tools to facilitate reprogramming the working chip with the BIOS image from the backup chip - because the board's not doing what it should be by itself in these respects.

Being able to achieve this would definitely rule out BIOS corruption.

Comment

Very strange!

You can short the MAIN BIOS chip, this would ensure that your attempt for the secondary to recover into the MAIN would happen. This has saved many boards from RMA due to bad flashes, and I use it myself from time to time too.

If that is something you are willing to attempt let me know and I will link you to the information you need. Before we go there though, can you boot into DOS via CD or USB? I just wondered if the same happens in DOS as well, you can use any program you like just to check this out.

I just want to see, if DOS based programs are also affected then it could be a BIOS virus. I suggest you do this with NO hard drives connected, to rule out a rootkit or anything on the drive itself.

So you can't do anything in the BIOS at all? Just wondered, if you can please try getting to the save profile screen (F11 On the main page) and see if the a-z happens when you choose save and go to enter a name.

I would for sure try clearing the CMOS anyway as well.

If you do want the info on shorting your MAIN BIOS before you would decide to RMA let me know.

*Edit*

Found some kids with the same virus I think

Tons more as well, I'll see if I can find a fix for you before I give you the above mentioned info. Surely this can be fixed via killing the hard drive, which the method you mention above would not do. You would need to use Killdisk or similar and fill the entire drive with 0's

You didn't mention what you wiped it with, but if you didn't wipe it thoroughly and destroy the boot sector and HPA then it could still remain. Killdisk (Also found on Hirens boot cd) would fix that right up, and you would need to set the drive active again before you could even us it, something normal "Wipe" programs don't do because they leave the boot sector and the HPA. A simple delete/format, ect would not help in this case. I'll get back to you with more info later tonight, if you are reading this now please do try with no drives connected to the PC (None at all) then if you can enter the BIOS normally you will know it is on the drive and then I can help you clear the drive properly.

I'll do some more digging on this for you tonight once I get through all the new posts today.
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-11-2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Did you get this sorted yet?

Sorry I can't pm you to find out, so hopefully you have email subscription to this thread.

Comment

Working...
          X