New X58A-UD3R won't post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New X58A-UD3R won't post

Hi guys. I'm trying to build a new PC with the X58A-UD3R, i7 930 and a Radeon 5850. Before screwing it into the case, I put the elements together and tried a power-up (and yes, plugging in both the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors at the mobo and 2 PCIe at with the graphic card).
    However, the CPU fan does not spin up, only the blue CMOS reset button is lit. I had also put in a small piezo buzzer to the board, but no beeps there either.
    Any ideas ? I guess it does not make sense to put it into the case and connect HD, DVD, etc. before the problem is solved.

Re: New X58A-UD3R won't post

Do you have the memory in the correct slots? They must be in the white slots 1, 3, 5, (Physical 2, 4, 6)

If you have them in the correct slots, please try clearing your CMOS with the system unplugged for about 2 minutes, then start it again and see if it will start.

If still no luck, please list your full specs so we can further troubleshoot this. Also tell us what CPU Cooler you are using. Did you check for bent CPU Socket pins before installing the CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Do you have the memory in the correct slots? They must be in the white slots 1, 3, 5, (Physical 2, 4, 6)

If you have them in the correct slots, please try clearing your CMOS with the system unplugged for about 2 minutes, then start it again and see if it will start.

If still no luck, please list your full specs so we can further troubleshoot this. Also tell us what CPU Cooler you are using. Did you check for bent CPU Socket pins before installing the CPU?
      Thanks for the very quick reply
      a) Memory seems ok. I used just 1 2GB stick of CFD Elixir in the white 3_1 slot. When I remove it and switch on again, the CMOS reset button becomes dark. The CMOS button is lit when the stick is in.

b) Cooler is still the standard Intel one with the pushpins. (I also got the Scythe Mugen but not installed yet.)

c) I powered up, pressed the lit CMOS reset button, switched off and waited for 5 minutes before trying again in vain. I'm a bit hesitant to keep it powered on for more than a few seconds if the fan does not spin...

d) I did some visual check befor installing for bent pins, but did not find any.

e) Could the Bios be old that it does not recognize the i930 ? But I just got it 3 days ago.

X58A-UD3R, i7 930, Radeon 5850, Antec True Power 650, CFD Elixir T3U1333Q-2G DDR3-1333
      Last edited by milhouse; 04-25-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Please unplug the system and then press and hold the Clear CMOS button for one minute, if that does not work remove the CMOS battery for 10-20 minutes and once the battery is removed press and hold the case power button for one minute (Sometimes this is needed)

I think 930 is good on all BIOSes just may not register correctly, I have seen people be ok with F2-F3 on vairous models, but the list does say you need F4 so it very well could be the problem?
        GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List

Do you have other memory to test with, maybe that memory is just not compatible. It very well also could be your PSU, 650W is pretty small for a i7 system, it may not be enough.

Also, do you have an older PCIE or PCI graphics card, just in case you need to update the BIOS before using the 5850, that could cause it to not start as well.

Comment

Thanks again. Double-checked the cpu pins and they look fine. Also removed battery. The power drain of the Video Card might indeed be the reason. I can get hold of an old PCIe card tomorrow and will try again. Overall, the PSU might indeed be too weak.

Just some last thoughts/questions
          + as at least *some* power is there as the cmos button is lit and 2 DDR voltage LEDs briefly flash
          + when I remove the videoc card, I'd think that the 650W would be enough to start the CPU+fan
          + what worries me is that the small buzzer that I specifically got for testing does not beep at all. (connected to F_Panel Speak, also switching +/-). According to the manual (p. 127) it should give some beeps when the video card or memory is missing...

Any further ideas also welcome... Re Bios, the board says Rev 1.0, M_BIOS 0501

Comment

Let us know how further testing goes.

Some boards will not start without a graphics card, so that may not matter in regards to testing your PSU capability without one.

Are you sure the case speaker you have works? Can you test it on a running system to be sure?

Yes it should beep with no card, at least I think so. If need be I can test that for you tomorrow, let me know.

It may just be the PSU is incompatible or not strong enough. If you take your CPU out again please take a few images of the socket from different angles and post them here so I can look just to be sure.

Comment

Ok, problem solved. I did not connect the power on wires from the case to the board correctly, so it had power but would not spin until the button was pressed.
              Thanks for the suggestion to get an old graphic card connected temporarily. I could see the post menu on screen. Much obliged and will continue with the built.

Comment

Ahh, such a simple thing too!

Glad you found the problem, and it was an easy fix!

Post back anytime if you need help or have any questions.

Comment

Working...
                X