Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 & Q9550 E0 ! ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 & Q9550 E0 ! ..

Hello all,
    I would like to inform that I have followed exact steps that mentioned and demonstrated by one of an experience person ..

However, I couldn't overclock my pc ! .. Once I save the BIOS Settings and rebooting it, it automatically return to backup BIOS Settings after unsuccessful booting with new settings ! ..

Can you please help me?

My PC Details are:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9950 E0
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
    PSU Epsilon 1010W
    6GB DDR2 devided into "2GBx1GBx2GBx1GB" ==> Kingmax brand
    Graphic: nVidia Geoforce 8800GTS 512
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    Case: Gigabyte 3D Mercury
    CPU Water Cooler
    3 Sata HDD
    3 External USB HDD
    1 DVD Writer
    2 CD Writer
    1 Blue Ray Writer
    1 USB HUB (7 Ports)
    Dual Monitor

Thanks in Advance ..

Re: Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 & Q9550 E0 ! ..

Anyone Please ??

Comment

Can you please give us a link to your memory, or the model #?

Then please give us your full current BIOS settings you are trying and we can help, template is in my signature for you to give us your settings.

Please do let us know the BIOS version as well.

Comment

Dear Lsdmeasap,
        Thanks a lot for your kindly response.

1) Link: KINGMAX Technology Inc.
        Details According to EVEREST Application:
        DIMM1: Kingmax KLEE88F-B8KU6 2 GB DDR2-1100 DDR2 SDRAM (6-7-7-25 @ 555 MHz) (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-15 @ 333 MHz)
        DIMM2: Kingmax KLED48F-B8KO6 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
        DIMM3: Kingmax KLEE88F-B8KU6 2 GB DDR2-1100 DDR2 SDRAM (6-7-7-25 @ 555 MHz) (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-15 @ 333 MHz)
        DIMM4: Kingmax KLED48F-B8KO6 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

2) Current BIOS Settings:
        Download 1.JPG
        Download 2.JPG
        Download 3.JPG

3) Current BIOS version:
        F7

Thanks again ..
        Last edited by AbuAli1981; 05-31-2010, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

If you update to the latest BIOS your boot times will be faster
          GA-X48-DQ6 - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

If you do update please use Qflash and read my guide (Especially if you are using RAID)

Before I advise you on settings, I need to know if you are using stock cooler or a better one?

And what speed do you want to run your CPU at?

Comment

Dear Lsdmeasap,
            Thanks again for your quick response.

If you update to the latest BIOS your boot times will be faster
            GA-X48-DQ6 - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS
            Yesterday night, I upgraded my motherboard BIOS to F8D and I repeated all overclock steps and still I didn't get any benifit :(.

If you do update please use Qflash and read my guide (Especially if you are using RAID)
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
            Sure, I will read it and thanks a lot ...

Before I advise you on settings, I need to know if you are using stock cooler or a better one?
            At the moment, I'm using Stock Cooler that comes with case "Gigabyte 3D Mercury".

Also, I'm planning to buy Cooler Master HAF-X (RC-942) Full Tower once it released on the market and of course with new CPU Cooler.

And what speed do you want to run your CPU at?
            Anything dear, just I want to know why I can't overclock it.

Comment

Well I need to know a speed you think your cooler can handle, then I can suggest settings.

Ohh! I just noticed you are using mixed memory speeds and sizes, this is not suggested at all and may be part of your problems. Sorry I missed this before now!!

Please use only one set, 2x2GB would be best if you need more memory.

Try these for 3.2Ghz using the 2x2 Kit

Code:
              Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or fast]
              CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
              Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5] << 0.0
              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [399 or 401] 
              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
              C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00B or D] = 800Mhz, if you want to run 1066Mhz try 2.66D or 2.40B for 960
              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
              Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
              Rank Write to READ Delay________3-6
              Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-8
              Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
              Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
              Static tRead Value_______________ 6-8
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
              CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
              GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Auto] 
              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2-0.3V] 
              CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]  << Try 1.25-1.38

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
              No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
              C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
              x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
              Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
              Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Re: Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 &amp; Q9550 E0 ! ..

Dear Lsdmeasap,
                Thanks alot for your quick response again.

I will test them today evening once I return back to home from my office. Also, I will buy 8GB of DDR2 (kingston) tomorrow evening (2*2*2*2).

Thanks again and I will update you today with current DDR2 RAM.

Comment

Hello Dear Lsdmeasap,
                  Really I prayed for you today, do you know why?

I followed your steps and now I'm writing to you with overclock CPU and it reached to: 3.65GHz with FSB of 430 ..

I ran the Prime95 x64 to check the stabiliy and nothing happened within 53 minutes. in addition, one of the core's degree reached 71.

Aslo, I have 1 question dear, will this overclock affect on my PC component age life?

I attached for you the snapshot ..
                  Download 365GHz.png

Comment

71C is very hot and is about the limit set by Intel for that Core 2.

I get my Q9450 (2.66GHz default speed) to 3.5GHz and get around 60C but my ambient temperature of around 20 to 25C is probably lower than yours at your location which I suspect gets very hot even with air conditioning.

Overclocking, putting more voltage and higher temperatures through a CPU will lower their lifespan but with the rate which PC hardware progresses your PC will be long out of date before it reaches it's end of life. Unless it really overheats!

Keeping temperatures as low as possible is best. If you are air cooling in a hot environment it doesn't work as well so other cooling methods might be worth investigating.

Your motherboard has a backplate which could get in the way of many coolers and might have to be removed.

Prime95 isn't the most comprehensive testing software, others generate much more heat such as IntelBurnTest and others. But don't go using those if you are getting 71C temperatures with Prime95. ;)
                    Last edited by RedDwarf; 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM.
                    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
                    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
                    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
                    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
                    Corsair HX 520 PSU
                    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
                    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
                    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
                    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
                    Samsung 1TB
                    Samsung 500GB
                    Seagate 80GB
                    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
                    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
                    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
                    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
                    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
                    minifan blowing through northbridge

Comment

Dear RedDwarf ,
                      Thanks a lot for your response and adding your great comment to my thread. In fact, what you have said is correct and I agree with you. This is one of the reason of why I'm going to buy new case which is made by Cooler Master and its called as HAF-X (942) but still not release on the market.

Also, what do you think about Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler? because yesterday night, I read all reviews about this CPU Cooler and all of them agreed 99% to 100% that this type of cooler is the best one and working smoothly with overclocking ..

Because there is no Noctua stocks on my place hence I have to buy it via Online.

Thanks in advance ..

Comment

Originally posted by AbuAli1981 View Post
                        Hello Dear Lsdmeasap,
                        Really I prayed for you today, do you know why?

I followed your steps and now I'm writing to you with overclock CPU and it reached to: 3.65GHz with FSB of 430 ..

I ran the Prime95 x64 to check the stabiliy and nothing happened within 53 minutes. in addition, one of the core's degree reached 71.

Aslo, I have 1 question dear, will this overclock affect on my PC component age life?

I attached for you the snapshot ..
                        Download 365GHz.png
                        Thanks for your prayers!

Nice to see you are making progress now!

71C is not too awful hot to worry about, but I would not push further without getting a different cooler.

You may also be just using more vcore than your overclock needs right now, have you tried lowering it yet?

I do see you are only using 1.24V, so ya you definitely need a better cooler so you can overclock further.

I am sure you will want a new system long before it would die from your overclock, nothing to worry about as long as you keep it cool
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuAli1981 View Post
                          Dear RedDwarf ,
                          Thanks a lot for your response and adding your great comment to my thread. In fact, what you have said is correct and I agree with you. This is one of the reason of why I'm going to buy new case which is made by Cooler Master and its called as HAF-X (942) but still not release on the market.

Also, what do you think about Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler? because yesterday night, I read all reviews about this CPU Cooler and all of them agreed 99% to 100% that this type of cooler is the best one and working smoothly with overclocking ..

Because there is no Noctua stocks on my place hence I have to buy it via Online.

Thanks in advance ..
                          I had a look at that cooler as I have been considering replacing mine as it is getting old, if you consider 2 years old. The temperatures can get higher than I would like @ around [email protected] depending upon whether I turn up my case fans it can hit 62C. I would like to see if I can get it any higher but the voltage is at about the limit I am prepared to go but I do have the Intel power saving enabled at that speed and DES disabled. With the power saving all disabled I might get it higher as they do tend to need more voltage to cope with the frequency changes while remaining stable.

That Noctua cooler is BIG. From what I read about the Noctua their compatibility charts do list the Gigabyte X48 boards as being compatible but only if the memory is also small enough to fit beneath it as it does overhang the first 2 dimms. Your backplate cooler would also need to be removed. You would also need to make sure the height will fit in the case. For my use I think it would be too big, I would need to buy new memory to use it.

What type of ambient temperatures do you get? I am interested how hot it gets inside where you are. That could have a big impact on air cooling capability.

Motherboard compatibility
                          Memory compatibility

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Thanks for your prayers!

Nice to see you are making progress now!

71C is not too awful hot to worry about, but I would not push further without getting a different cooler.

You may also be just using more vcore than your overclock needs right now, have you tried lowering it yet?

I do see you are only using 1.24V, so ya you definitely need a better cooler so you can overclock further.

I am sure you will want a new system long before it would die from your overclock, nothing to worry about as long as you keep it cool
                          The Intel specification for AbuAli1981's CPU indicate that the maximum temperature is 71.4C, Intel CPU's do have a protection feature which is meant to shut down the CPU if the temperature gets too hot.

That CPU voltage isn't very high, my CPU VID is 1.2125V so very close to that running at 2.66GHz but heat does increase the higher the frequency. I would like to know what his ambient temperature is as that can be an issue with air cooling when the temperature is high.
                          Attached Files
                          Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
                          Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
                          Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
                          2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
                          Corsair HX 520 PSU
                          Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
                          Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
                          Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
                          Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
                          Samsung 1TB
                          Samsung 500GB
                          Seagate 80GB
                          BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
                          NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
                          Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
                          Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
                          mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
                          minifan blowing through northbridge

Comment

I know the Intel specs, and I hear them, but that is about it.

100C is where thermal throttle happens, in case you wondered

I agree, ambient temps matter a lot. So it could be he has very hot temps in his house, or his cooler is not all that good, or maybe poor mount or too much paste?

Is he using stock cooler, those temps do seem a bit high for the voltage he is using

Comment

Dear RedDwarf & Dear Lsdmeasap ,
                              Thanks a lot for your responses and updating the thread with great comments and knowledge.

Actually, definitely I'm going to buy new CPU Cooler within two weeks from now and I decided after reading most of CPU Coolers reviews that I selected NH-D14 to use it as CPU Cooler.

Thanks RedDwarf for the website that you provided. In fact, I read all these before two days and I understand that I have to follow some procedures before fixing the CPU Cooler.

Initially, I'm switcing off or changing the status of my machine into SLEEP before going to office. I'm running it once I come back from the office. Most of the days, the ambient degree is between 30 to 35 before switching on the A/C.

Dear Lsdmeasap,
                              I have two points here:
                              1) I tried to reduce the voltage to 1.252, 1.26 & 1.27. However, the machine is hanged when I start converting the video from HD to WMV. Because I'm working as a Video Editor. Can you solve this please?

2) Why its hanging dear, whereas it doesn't show any error or warnning while using Prime95?

Thanks in advance for both of you ..

Comment

Working...
                              X