Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55A-UD3 will not post in new system

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum, and I am hoping someone can give me some direction on how to
    proceed with solving this problem. This is kind of a long post, but I wanted to be as
    detailed as possible to give you guys as much info as possible, so as not to overlook
    something. I recently purchased and just assembled the parts to a new system, using the following components:

* Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard
    * I5-750 CPU
    * OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W PSU
    * Diamond Radeon HD5850 GPU
    * CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
    * LG W2353V-PF 23" 1920x1080 2ms DVI LCD Monitor
    * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HDD
    * LG DVD Burner
    * CM Hyper 212 CPU Cooler

I assembled all the components and connected all cables. I plug in the monitor (using D-SUB cable, with D-SUB to DVI converter that came with GPU), turn it on, and the monitor display says it goes into power saving mode, then the light flashes on monitor. I held my breath and press the PC power switch. This is what happens:

All case fans come on. DVD drive comes on. GPU fan comes on. It sounds like HDD comes on (hard to tell over other components). The CPU fan (plugged into CPU_Fan header) twitches, then stops. All of the Phase LEDs light up all at once and STAY on. Nothing appears on the screen (No BIOS, etc - just blank). I wait for a good 30-45 sec, still nothing. The LED on the monitor continues to blink like it is sleeping. Tried mouse, keyboard to wake it up - still nothing. CPU fan never starts moving again, but the cooler tower starts to warm up.

I started looking for answers (using google and going through page by page on forums like this one) and seen others having similar problems, so I tried out some solutions. These are things I have tried:

* Plugged CPU fan into SYS_Fan header - now on power-up, it spins at constant rate, but still get blank screen
    * Dissembling and reassembling (making sure CPU and GPU were properly seated, etc)
    * Tried different PCI-E slot for GPU (still a blank screen)
    * Booting up with no peripherals (DVD, HDD, keyboard, mouse) attached
    * Tried different monitor (still blank screen)
    * Cleared CMOS by both removing battery and using jumper method
    * Made sure the CPU power cables were attached (MB has 8-pin slot, PSU has two 4-pin connectors, I tried with both and only one connected)
    * Tried booting with MB and PSU outside case (on a non-conductive surface, of course - still blank screen)
    * Tried different memory slots (even though I am sure I am installing them in the proper slots according to manual i.e. slots 1&3) and tried with only one stick in slot 1 (still a blank screen for both methods)

I am kind of looking for some direction on how to proceed; I would like to try another PSU or GPU, but I do not have other parts available to me from anywhere or anyone. I do NOT have a case speaker, and just placed one on order before I posted this, along with an HDMI cable (which I was going to get sometime in the future anyway). I am not sure what the Phase LEDs are supposed to look like on boot-up; I would think that they should not all light up and stay lit up constantly, as I would not think the CPU would be on 100% load, 100% of the time on boot up. The only things that I can think of that might be wrong are:

* Bad MB
    * Bad GPU
    * Bad D-Sub to DVI converter
    * Bad PSU

I don't have a problem with sending something back to the manufacturer if it is bad, but I want to be sure as I possibly can that a component is bad before doing so. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: GA-P55A-UD3 will not post in new system

try another psu,ocz power supplies dont work very well if at all with gigabyte boards,best to try and borrow one avoid zalman psu's aswell,try that first then if its still doing it we can try something else
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Try one stick of ram in slot 4 (the farthest away from the CPU). If that works you have the same issue I did and my honest hunch is a bad batch of mobo's because it appears to be all over the web right now. I ended up having to settle for 4GB of ram in single channel mode (was able to get 2 sticks to work in slots 3 and 4 which are the farthest away from the CPU). HTH

Comment

I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that OCZ power supplies don't work well with Gigabyte motherboards, since I have exactly the same motherboard as the OP and I am using an OCZ ModXStream 700W unit to power it. Of course, this does not exclude the possibility that your StealthXStream power supply is defective, but not dead.

For the OP's information, all of the phase change LEDs are lit up when the system is starting up. They seem to go off once the OS is running. They are definitely all on in the BIOS setup screens. So what he is seeing is normal, in that regard.

Once the OP gets his case speaker installed, then hopefully the beeps that it emits during POST will give him some clue as to what the problem might be.

Comment

Yes, a case speaker would help.

You didn't say, sorry have to ask, you do have the 24 pin connected to the board right? Sorry, but you would be surprised :)

When you had the CPU out to reseat it did you check to be sure there were NO Bent CPU Socket pins? If not please check this now, all these systems can happen with bent CPU pins as well as other things.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgurd View Post
            I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that OCZ power supplies don't work well with Gigabyte motherboards, since I have exactly the same motherboard as the OP and I am using an OCZ ModXStream 700W unit to power it. Of course, this does not exclude the possibility that your StealthXStream power supply is defective, but not dead.

For the OP's information, all of the phase change LEDs are lit up when the system is starting up. They seem to go off once the OS is running. They are definitely all on in the BIOS setup screens. So what he is seeing is normal, in that regard.

Once the OP gets his case speaker installed, then hopefully the beeps that it emits during POST will give him some clue as to what the problem might be.
            i didnt say it was dead but might be defective,ive seen atleast 5 people with ocz psu's have the same issue,just try with another psu,try n borrow one just to be sure
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

@7Enigma: I tried the RAM swapping as you suggested... unfortunately, neither of the two sticks work by themselves or as a pair in any of the slots. (I really wish this would have been the problem - not knowing what the problem is is the most frustrating part of this)

@Lsdmeasap: Yeah, I do have the 24-pin connector plugged in... I don't blame you for asking though. I have an above-average level of understanding about technology, but this is my first system build completely from scratch... I just wish the problem was a stupid mistake like that! Also, when I did have the CPU out I checked the pins... I did not see any problem to my knowledge.

I don't have access to another PSU (not even from other people)... I posted on OCZ's support forum just to see what happens though (probably nothing, but what else am I going to do while I wait for the speaker? - oh yeah, drink a ******ss). I guess I should have waited for the speaker before posting, but was hoping that it would be a quick fix. Once I got the speaker, I will post back with the results. Thanks again!

Comment

Well hope you get the speaker soon then!

Have you tried setting things up outside the case yet, with the bare minimum? This will rule out shorts and other hardware causing a non boot. Setup the board on a wooden table or the cardboard motherboard inner box, then connect ONLY the CPU and stock Intel heatsink, one stick of memory, and your GFX card. No hard drives, cd drives, external devices, ect. See if it will start that way.

Can you test your GFX card in another system to be sure it works?

If you remove the heatsink again please take a few images from different angles of your CPU socket, his res macro, and post them here so we can have a look. Just in case you do have bent pins and just are not seeing them

Comment

Okay... so I am almost embarrassed to post this but here it goes...

I had disassembled the computer before to try and get the board to post outside the case with no success, but I never tried to with the stock cooler (who knows, maybe something was making contact somewhere and causing a short). So, I remove the RAM to remove the CM cooler, and replace it with the stock cooler. I get everything set up and install the RAM back in... When I go to put the first stick back in I come to the realization that, even though I have installed RAM on multiple systems before over the past 10+ years, I never had to push the stick SO HARD to install it. I press it to the point where I think I am going to break it and it snaps in... so... I never had the RAM fully 100% seated in the slots. After cursing up and down, plugging in the PSU, and flipping the power on, the board posts. Ugh, what a noob I am!

I am glad it was something like this though... I bought the components over two months ago and just now got around to assembling, so I was overdue on any return policy... If it was a bad component I would have had to pray it was covered by warranty or else I would have been out of luck.

So, thanks and apologies are in order... thanks for all the help, and I apologize for taking up your time. Try not to laugh too much

P.S. reminds me of a story... many years ago when I was in high school, I was in a class and one of my classmates exclaimed that the computer that they were using just shut down out of nowhere when they tried to eject their floppy. My friend and I immediately set to work trying to find the cause... we could not find it... then the teacher comes over and presses the power button, and the computer boots up. Here, the classmate using the computer pressed the power button thinking it was a button to eject the floppy (it was a mac quadra... the power button on those was near the floppy drive... yes, this was a long time ago). I should have learned the lesson to start with the basics then! Thanks again!

Comment

im glad you got it going and didnt spend on extra components
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Ahh, don't feel bad, it could happen to anyone!

Glad to see you got it going man!!

Post back anytime if you need further help with anything, we are always here and wont laugh to awful hard at ya :) J/K

Glad you got it!

Comment

Working...
                      X