Choice of memory for 1st time OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice of memory for 1st time OC

Putting together a new system and starting my first OC attempt this weekend. Which would be better for an overclocked i7 930 (4.0 range);

OCZ Reaper 6GB DDR3 PC3 cl6 (6-8-6-24) 1600mhz or the OCZ Platinum ddr3 PC3 cl9 (9-9-9-28) 1866mhz

Another option would be the Kingston 6gb 2000mhz ddr3 CL8-8-8-24-1 . Any thoughts?

Board is the Gigabyte X58A UD3R. All three are 6GB and are exactly the same price.

Will use it for gaming.

I guess what my question comes down to is, does the 2000mhz or 1866mhz give me more flexibility in terms of OC the i7 930 chip (22 multiplier)?

Is this more important than the improved timing (6 vs. 9/8) of the 1600mhz RAM in everyday use?

Because this is my first time OC, I went ahead and picked up the Corsair H50 water-cooling system.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Choice of memory for 1st time OC

The 686-24 ones would be better, but those Kingston's might be a better choice, and they might be able to do 666-18 @ 1600Mhz not sure?

You wont be able to run 2000Mhz for daily use, with that CPU, without much higher voltages than most users are willing to use - so keep that in mind.

Your best option may be the 686-24 sticks due to this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      The 686-24 ones would be better, but those Kingston's might be a better choice, and they might be able to do 666-18 @ 1600Mhz not sure?

You wont be able to run 2000Mhz for daily use, with that CPU, without much higher voltages than most users are willing to use - so keep that in mind.

Your best option may be the 686-24 sticks due to this issue.
      Thanks. I was really thinking about playing with the timing on the the Kingston 2000mhz, but from what I have read they are difficult. So the drop in speed to 1600mhz will have less impact (ie limitations when OC) than the performance gain I get from the CL6 timing? Thanks, I'm looking forward to many hours of tweaking.

Comment

1600Mhz will be easier to run than 2000Mhz if that is what you mean, CL6 would be the better timings of them all.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Anytime, let us know what you decide to get and how it works out for you

Comment

Working...
            X