• Show
Clear All

• GA-H55M-USB3 post problems new build

Ordered new:

CMPSU-400CX corsair PSU
    i3-530
    G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
    GA-H55-USB3 mobo

System let out a string of rapid beeps when turned on and required the PSU switch to be flipped to get out. Both memory are installed in the correct white slots. This memory is on the approved Gigabyte list and detects at 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V even though it's supposed to run at 8-8-8-21 at 1.5V (getting to how I know that much).

With one stick in DDR3_1, system will post (thus how I saw the memory settings detected). It will post with either stick in this slot. If a single stick is installed in DDR3_3 slot, the system will not post. And of course, with both sticks in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 it will not post. For info, the system does post with both sticks installed in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 (the two right next to one another) and show 4 GB but will not post if in the second set of slots.

I've reseated the RAM probably 30-40 times by now trying these configurations out, DDR3_3 slot looks clear (nothing in it). This last time, with both sticks installed, I no longer get the beeping but do get the cycling CPU / system fan on/off problem without posting.

Anyway, based on this, I can't see it as anything other than the mobo and a failure in that DDR3_3 slot, do you concur?

Also, do you think if I pull the CPU / stock intel HSF out of this that I'm going to have to clean / reapply a thermal agent or should I still be ok just sticking it back together after RMA as that looks like the direction I'll probably have to head?

Re: GA-H55M-USB3 post problems new build

read the manual on which slots you should use for 4gb dual channel,as it might be the first two slots from cpu socket and not white slots only? idk,

EDIT: ii just read the online manual for that board and its the white slots only for 4gb dual channel,so slot 3 second white slot from cpu socket is faulty? wont it boot from that slot with either stick installed? yet it boots from first white slot with both sticks??? makesure its fully clicked into the slots the ram modules,if it still doesnt work then yes rma for a faulty ram slot
    Last edited by wazza300; 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post

EDIT: ii just read the online manual for that board and its the white slots only for 4gb dual channel,so slot 3 second white slot from cpu socket is faulty? wont it boot from that slot with either stick installed? yet it boots from first white slot with both sticks??? makesure its fully clicked into the slots the ram modules,if it still doesnt work then yes rma for a faulty ram slot
      That's correct, fully seated each time. Both sticks will boot from the first white slot (1) but neither will boot in slot (3) white slot and the manual says it should from either when using just one stick.

Comment

yes it should boot from any white slot with one stick,its the same for my board as ive tested it and it will boot into windows with one stick in any white slot,you have a faulty ram slot so you need to explain what youve tried and which slot it is in the rma ticket

EDIT: there is one thing you could try and that is to clear the cmos by removing mb battery for 30mins,put back in then try with 2gb in the faulty slot and see if it boots,give it 30mins to fully clear cmos before you put the battery back in
        Last edited by wazza300; 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM.
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Tried the battery thing, no change there. Well, one, but that was before the battery. With both sticks in, it now doesn't do the beep thing...instead, it starts that power on / power off thing others have complained about, never posting and continuing till you flip the switch on the power supply.

Tested again if it will boot up with one stick in slot 1, and yep, posts that way no problem. I think I've about exhausted this. Has to be the motherboard I'm afraid.

Again, do you suppose I can just get away with popping the heatsink off and back on a new board when it gets here without a cleaning / application of new thermal paste? It's not like it's been on long to dry out old paste (stock Intel cooler as reminder for i530).

Comment

you might be able to re-use paste but for best results its best to clean off and apply new,you can clean it off with thinners or petrol if you have no cleaning solution,just makesure the rag/cloth is not wet to the touch and rub it off the chip/heatsink,allow time for any access cleaning fluid to evapourate before re-assemling parts
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Yes, you need to use new paste on a clean surface each time you remount the heastsink.

As for your current issue, can you remove the CPU and heatsink and look to be sure there are NO bent CPU pins, also look around on the front and back of the board to be sure the heatsink is not touching anything somewhere causing a short.

If you are unsure about your socket pins, please post a few images from different angles for us to look at for you

Comment

Working...
              X