An interesting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting problem

About a year ago my mobo fried (actually, it started on fire) and I was without a computer for a long while. Recently I picked up a new mobo and processor and chucked them in to get everything running again. The mobo is[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard.[/COLOR]

Since the rebuild, plugging anything into my sound card (or removing anything plugged in to it) while the machine is on causes a blue screen of death and a pretty terrible noise. I have no idea what might be causing this, and am wondering if it's the way it's hooked up (maybe I missed something?), drivers, etc. Any clues?

The sound card is Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM.

I know, it's pretty old. Any feedback would be great. I'm going back in today to put in a new hard drive and see if I can't streamline the wiring.

Re: An interesting problem

What caused the original fire? A faulty power supply unit ? A faulty motherboard? Was the sound card in question attached to the motherboard that fried? It would be no surprise if the sound card took some damage at the same time as the motherboard fried. Does the card cause the same issue in any other computer? Be cautious you don't fry your new board with that sound card!
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Does it do this without a hard drive attached?

Comment

I have that exact sound card.

Except mine is the Platinum version.

Audigy-2 ZS Platinum - PCI

I have a similar problem, if I try to plug in or unplug anything on the back panel when my PC is up, my PC just outright freezes.

I tried to just plug in my surround speakers when my PC was on, and it froze/crashed and I had to reinstall drivers and it still wasn't working correctly after that.

I blame the Sound Card IMO, its like it shorts something out when you plug things in the back when your PC is on.

Comment

Working...
        X