No announcement yet.

After boot up, My computer use freezes computer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After boot up, My computer use freezes computer??

Hi!
    This one is a strange duck for sure! We noticed it at work, and thought there was possibly a virus, as it started on my boss's coputer, who has a recent install of XP, then we noticed it also on the coputer in the tasting room. I was using my daughters computer last night, and after boot, if you try to access "My Computer" and click on either a network drive, or on your "C" drive, it does not open.....hour glass turns a couple of times, then disappear. If you close "MY Computer" within a very few seconds it will say "My Computer not respondindg". If you force it closed all you get is your desktop, with NO icons, and a basically worhless screen. Windows key on keyboard doesn't even bring up anything. Reboot and wait for it to come back.
    Now, after it has been running for a while you can browse around in My Computer to your hearts content and it doesn't feeze. BUT, if you do it right after it boots... LOOK OUT!

Any ideas from you guys out there what might cause that?

Thanks.. it's making my gray hair white! LOL

I have had similar things happen with other programs. I believe that the entire OS hasn't loaded. If you are patient (just a few more seconds really), no problem.

Comment

It sounds like at bootup time it's trying to detect some of your hardware, especially your drives. Something is causing it to stall while detecting a drive, maybe some setting which causes the OS confusion or a format problem with a CD/HD. After a while it gives up and returns to normal.

You can get a similar problem if you insert a blank unformatted CDRW into a CD ROM drive and press Windows Key + E (Explorer shortcut)....it'll take a while before it fully opens explorer while it tries to figure out the CD format and eventually gives up.
      My Machine

Comment

It sounds like a problem with Windows Explorer. I would guess that it is searching for network resources such as printers for a while when it first boots. I think that it is in Services that you can turn that off. This doesn't preclude you from using these resources when it is turned off, it just finds them as they are called for.

Comment

Working...
        X