Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SLI HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SLI HELP!

Hello. I have two of the cards in the title in SLI in my Antec 1200. I love the cards, they perform well and they are silent - but there is one downside. They reach over 92C under heavy load and after some time my screen shuts off and I have to reboot my PC. Is there a way to make the fan spin faster? It is capped at 70% right now. Best regards.
    Last edited by Lindrian; 08-14-2010, 01:02 PM.

Re: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SLI HELP!

You can't adjust the fan, it uses 3 PIN, they are capped @ specified speed.
    But weird you get those high temps, according to review these cards peak @ 65c ... so maybe you need better airflow in your case
    X58A-UD7 Rev1 | Core i7 920 @ 191x21 4GHz | Thermalright Extreme 120 REV A | Corsair 6GB Dominator GT 1600 C7 | Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB 800/1000 | Antec TPQ-850w

Comment

if you have 3 pci-e slots then choose the lowest slot and highest slot,that way it will create more space inbetween the cards

doesnt the nvidia software let you set the fan speed? i can set mine to any percentage from 0-100% fan speed
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm running SLI, thus higher temps. They are not capped, you can change it in say MSI Afterburner or something like that. But for some odd reason its limited to 70%. I'd say my Antec 1200 has plenty of cooling really...

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          if you have 3 pci-e slots then choose the lowest slot and highest slot,that way it will create more space inbetween the cards

doesnt the nvidia software let you set the fan speed? i can set mine to any percentage from 0-100% fan speed
          I am using the lowest one possible on my Asus P6TD Deluxe. I have a few centimeters between the cards. I can only change the fan speed form 40% to 70%, everything else does not work. It feems to be blocked, for some reason...

Comment

have read reviews with a problem on fan speed adjust on gigabyte card versions,
            try latest bios/drivers.
            the speed capping was shown in some review,but even the tester wasnt sure if it was actually capped or just reading incorrectly.
            the utilities .. giga one ,msi one (afterburner) or evga one (precision) may enable u to adjust the speed properly,some read in % some give actual rpm.
            Giga 460's have 2 fans i think so thats 4 fans being speed adjusted.
            Dont worry about 3 or 4 pin its all done thru the card anyway so that isnt relevant.
            Use one of the utilities that will actually let u adjust the fan speed,you should be able to tell from the sound if there is a reading glitch.
            Check into the power consumption with the 2 cards and if cpu is overclocked.
            There are sli tests of gigabyte 460's on this site !.
            I dont think you have a slot option for sli on that board do u? there are only 2 possible.
            From what ive read (unless your psu has 4 dedicated 6 pin outputs for gx cards ?) you need to put the dedicated 6 pin connectors on the connectors closest to the edge of the card boards and the molex adapters (lower power draw) further from the edge.
            Try with case cover off and see if you get the same problem.
            Last edited by kick; 08-14-2010, 07:07 PM.
            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
              have read reviews with a problem on fan speed adjust on gigabyte card versions,
              try latest bios.
              the speed capping was shown in some review,but even the tester wasnt sure if it was actually capped or just reading incorrectly.
              the utilities .. giga one ,msi one (afterburner) or evga one (precision) may enable u to adjust the speed properly,some read in % some give actual rpm.
              Giga 460's have 2 fans i think so thats 4 fans being speed adjusted.
              Dont worry about 3 or 4 pin its all done thru the card anyway so that isnt relevant.
              Use one of the utilities that will actually let u adjust the fan speed,you should be able to tell from the sound if there is a reading glitch.
              Check into the power consumption with the 2 cards and if cpu is overclocked.
              There are sli tests of gigabyte 460's on this site !.
              I dont think you have a slot option for sli on that board do u? there are only 2 possible.
              From what ive read (unless your psu has 4 dedicated 6 pin outputs for gx cards ?) you need to put the dedicated 6 pin connectors on the connectors closest to the edge of the card boards and the molex adapters (lower power draw) further from the edge.
              Try with case cover off and see if you get the same problem.
              Which is the latest bios? Where do I find it? I have tried MSI Afterburner and EVGA precision, neither go above 70% or below 40%. My PSU (Corsair HX850W) has 4 PCI-E 6+2pin cables, so thats not the issue. The power to the cards is fine.

Comment

whats the model name? theres no bios update on gigabytes site,only the manual and latest drivers

NVIDIA driver
                OS:Windows Vista 64bit,Windows 7 64bit 258.56 157.83 MB 2010/07/08

GV-N460OC-1GI <<< is it that model?
                Last edited by wazza300; 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM.
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Gv-n460oc-1gi

Comment

check the 460 sli reviews on site . they arent in the gigabyte forum and im too lazy to go checking,but you should be able to find them,it might even have been 2, 768 mb 460's

Ive just ordered a single gainward 460 1GB so I was checking a lot of reviews. the gigabyte(card) fan max speed thing came up in one of them, googling should find it.
                    Last edited by kick; 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM.
                    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

ok theres two bios's on techpower up for that card,download gpu-z and make a note of the bios number and date,then using gpu-z save the current bios on your card to a file,then flash the bios with one of those if its an updated one from techpower up,search for what program you flash with as i dont know,i only know winflash for ati cards ONLY FLASH IF YOU HAVE TO if you brick your card then i cant be held accountable,ive flashed gpu's with winflash without any trouble

Extensive repository of graphics card BIOS image files. Our database covers submissions categorized by GPU vendor, type, and board partner variant.

nvflash for flashing cards

Last edited by wazza300; 08-14-2010, 07:25 PM.
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                        Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                        Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                        2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                        6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                        2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                        Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                        Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                        Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                        Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                        Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                          ok theres two bios's on techpower up for that card,download gpu-z and make a note of the bios number and date,then using gpu-z save the current bios on your card to a file,then flash the bios with one of those if its an updated one from techpower up,search for what program you flash with as i dont know,i only know winflash for ati cards ONLY FLASH IF YOU HAVE TO if you brick your card then i cant be held accountable,ive flashed gpu's with winflash without any trouble

techPowerUp! :: Video Bios Collection

nvflash for flashing cards

techPowerUp! :: Downloads
                          Is there a way to open the bios and look at the settings? Nibitor doesnt seem to work.

Comment

Working...
                          X