What should my idle temp be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my idle temp be?

Hey I just bought a barebones system for Cyberpower (i7-950 coolermaster v8 Gigabyte x58 MB, coolermaser haf-x tower). I plug it in and boot to the BIOS, all the fans including the CPU fan are running, the case is open so it has plenty of air flow and the BIOS says the CPU temp is 77 degrees C and it climbs up to 82. Isn't this way, way too hot for it to be running under what is basically idle? Shouldn't it be around 40 or less?

Before I flip out on them I wanted to confirm that this is unacceptable with some people who know.

Re: What should my idle temp be?

what thermal paste you are using?...that temps scares me..:D

Comment

If your ambient temps goes around 60-70 deg C then I'd say that's normal but if it ain't then that's way above the normal ones.

Try to reseat the V8 and don't forget to apply another TIM but before doing that try do download first real temp and see if it's really that hot. Maybe the bios is just reading it wrong.

My i7 930 with ambient temps of 34-40 Deg C overclocked at 4ghz idles at 45-50 Deg C. I hope that helps.

Comment

i still think those are frekaing high .. especially if its not even overclocked... though idk much about intel

on my amd i get 36-38 idle.. and i can tell u i cannot overclock it more than this.. also im not using a watercooler.. just an aftermarket air one.. my temps do go to 59 under full load when i run prime 95 for extended periods of time

might be that your paste isnt applied correctly and there are gaps between the processor and your cooler...

first time i tried with mine was at 49 idle without overclock so i redid the paste with a card :) and bam
        Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 2.0
        AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 stepping - OC 3927 Mhz
        CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz
        Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16
        SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB
        Cooler Master Hyper N520 cpu cooler
        Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Case
        Coolmax V600 600W PSU
        Win 7 64 ultimate
        Acer 23'

Comment

Personally , I Consider CM V8 A Bad Cooler ( I Had It For A While ) , However ~ 80 Degrees For Idle Is Too Much
          I Think Cooler Installation Wasn't Correct , Log In To Windows , Obtain CPU Cores Temp Using HardWare Monitor
          If They Are That High , Re-Install The Cooler And Ensure That A Thin Layer Of Thermal Grease Is Applied To Cooler's Base
          And Good Luck

Comment

If its in the 70c's at idle then its not right,check your CPU voltages and the your cooler is mounted properly,check all the c states and eist are enabled in advanced CPU features,at idle you should expect to see around 38-45c on the cores,ideally you want to keep CPU temperatures below 80c when at full CPU load
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

wow that temp is obviously WAY too high, check the heat sink and thermal paste. My cpu idles 26-30 degrees on air.
              OCZ AGILITY3 SSD 120GB
              AMD Phenom II x6 2.8Ghz OC to 3.5Ghz
              Antec 1200 gaming case
              Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
              750 Watt TruePower Power Supply
              8GB DDR3 1666Mhz memory
              Logitech G9 gaming mouse
              Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
              Gigabyte HD5830 1GB GDDR5
              Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio

Comment

Working...