Computer Freezes on Startup - Friend suggests motherboard problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Freezes on Startup - Friend suggests motherboard problem

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 that I purchased in October 2007. My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit.

I've been having a problem where the computer locks up at startup. It used to stop at the green loading bar with the Windows Logo. Now it locks up at my desktop when the mouse has the loading circle next to it. This has been happening for some time now.

I've replaced every component in this computer except the motherboard and I have reformatted both the old and new hard drives several times.

I have the following components:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Bit Dual Processor 6000+, 3.01GHz

Hard Drive: 1TB Main Internal (Western Digital)

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT EE

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit

All drivers are up to date. Windows is up to date. I've run multiple registry repair programs to try and remedy this problem to no avail. My computer is virus free, spyware free, and adware free. I have defragged both the old and new hard drives. Check disks show nothing wrong with either hard drive. I had to update the BIOS to install the new hard drive, but the problem was occurring before this, so that rules out the new BIOS.

My Motherboard is as follows:

Manufacturer: Intel ( OEM for Dell Inspiron 531 )
    Dell Part #: RY206 0RY206
    Socket: AM2
    Expansion Slots: PCI: 2 Slots / PCIe x1: 1 Slot / PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots Connectors: (4) Back USB Ports, Network LAN
    Video: Onboard
    Audio: Onboard
    Supported Memory: DDR2 Maximum Memory: 4 Dual Channel DIMM

Up until now I have been blaming it on Windows Vista for lack of a better theory.

Any suggestions, ideas, etc?

Thank you in advance for any helpful responses.

Also.... I apologize if this has been placed in the wrong section of the forums. I couldn't find a more generic forum for technical support.
    Last edited by Mapmstr; 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM.

Re: Computer Freezes on Startup - Friend suggests motherboard problem

You say you changed everything. First I would try is just one stick of ram. The issue may be ram related, since you post fine, but freeze when the OS is going into it's standard video mode. If it doesn't work, try a different stick of ram in the same socket. If that works, switch back to the other ram stick as a sanity check. It could be one stick of ram is bad. If you really do have a different set of ram than what came with your board, and no single stick of ram will allow Windows to load, then it may very well be the motherboard.

Comment

Working...
    X