What is latest P55a bios (VCO) do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is latest P55a bios (VCO) do

The latest BIOS posted here for the P55a MB is named VCO. Poking around in the current BIOS sticky leads me to believe this is an overclocking version by someone.

I posted in that thread asking what this was, and then said never mind because I was just going to use Easy Tune. I am not happy with what ET is doing to RAM voltage so I am going to do manual overclocking.

Now I am back to caring about BIOS VCO. Is this a stable bios that is optimized for overclocking (i.e., safe to use?) without breaking anything else. If there is a next regular release from Gigabyte, will I then be cut off from updates because I have installed a non-mainstream BIOS variant?
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Re: What is latest P55a bios (VCO) do

Easytune is not doing anything to your ram voltage?

What you see in "Target" side of easytune for voltages is what you are either setting in the BIOS, or what auto is setting if you are not manually setting things, which is why it's always best to set things yourself.

Just wanted to let you know, it's not Easytune at all!

You can get all BIOSes for UD7 here

And yes that BIOS is meant for a overclocker, meaning really an extreme overclocker (Dry ice/Ln2). You can use it and be fine, but do not enable anything that you do not understand what it means.

Probably best for you to stick with F8a for now until you are more familiar with your board and overclocking. You won't be cut off from updates, you can update or change your BIOS anytime you want!

Please use Qflash when flashing your BIOS, DO NOT USE @BIOS, here is a guide

Comment

lsdmeasap, I understand what you say about ET. While it may not be ET changing the voltage, the net result of letting it overclock is allowing that voltage to be set at that level. And that indeed may be a function of ET's settings interacting with the automatic settings in the BIOS. Essentially if I let it go by itself I have problems so I must take over the bios settings to yield my overclock. Hence no ET. I have no idea what effect disabling some auto settings in the BIOS would have on trying to use ET.

Re BIOS VCO. What I meant about not upgrading is that using vco I would be branching off the Gigabyte road and later would probably have to go back on the Gigabyte path as new BIOSes are released. Not knowing what impact could occur from these transitions would not be a smooth updating procedure. I would not want to go that way. I will stay with the "official" Gigabyte releases as they arrive.
      Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
      i7 3770
      2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
      Integrated graphics
      Seasonic Platinum 760W
      be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
      Fractal Define XL R2 case
      Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

I posted a bit more info on Easytune for you here

But ya you are right, if you are using easytune to overclock by pressing one of the large green/yellow/red dots then yes it is going to change many things probably. It's fine to use, and have installed using or not, but if you want to use it use the advanced settings area where you manually set things like in the BIOS.

As for the BIOS, no that BIOS is a Gigabyte BIOS, it was made by Gigabyte themselves for a overclock championship contest.

Comment

Working...
        X