No announcement yet.

ASROCK Extreme3 USB3 Poor Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK Extreme3 USB3 Poor Performance?

I am a little disappointed with Asrock Extreme 3: USB3 Performance, My brand new PQI H566 USB3 hard drive when first plugged into USB3 port (the blue one) would not be detected as a hard drive until I clicked on it a few time in Devices and Printers and took around 10 minutes to appear as a hard disc drive and be mapped in computer!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Also Windows kept suggesting that I plug the device into a USB3 port to gain higher speed, it was already plugged into the USB3 port, the blue one!
    I transferred around 23 GB of doc’s, mp3’3, vids, and photos from user folder as backup it took around 20 minutes at a peak rate of 27.8mb/s and an average around 23mb/s. Steam apps folder of 63GB took over 45mins at an average around 23mb/s.<o:p></o:p>
    Later I observed that performance was significantly better through the ESata/USB2 combo port, it looks like the only port that I can use for this device is the combo ESata/USB2.<o:p></o:p>
    My old Maxtor 100 GB drive circa 2003 did these jobs at only a couple of mb/s slower and over all maybe 10% longer.<o:p></o:p>
    Looks like there’s not enough juice flowing through these USB3 ports. On my machine the USB2 is the same speed. I really thought the days of under juiced USB ports had ended. The only items that are going to be used on USB3 ports are hard drives, these ports should be configured for their use.<o:p></o:p>
    Not sure that I am using the USB3 feature correctly, anybody know how these ports should perform with an external hard drive?<o:p></o:p>
    Last edited by Kevin Cobley; 10-08-2010, 06:11 AM.

Re: ASROCK Extreme3 USB3 Poor Performance?

The problems with my USB 3 ports has been solved with the installation of the latest BIOS 2.2, it's working properly now!
    However the best you can expect with a SATA HD and a USB 3 drive are around double the speed (or maybe just a shade more) of an older USB 2 Drive.
    You can forget the 10-20 times as fast unless you have solid state!

Comment

Working...
    X