EP55 motherboard and Adaptec 19160 or 29160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP55 motherboard and Adaptec 19160 or 29160

Does anyone here have a 55 series chipset motherboard running an Adaptec 19160 or 29160 SCSI controller? I have an acquaintance who is not having success with an Intel DP55WG an his Adaptec controller(s). He will consider a Gigabyte replacement, but wants some assurance that it might actually work. I don't have a controller to troubleshoot with, but if somebody here is running one it would be helpful to know it can actually be done.
    Last edited by rbmorse; 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM.
    EP45-UD3P 1.1
    QX9770 @ 3.6Ghz (formerly E8500 @ 3.6Ghz)
    4 X Corsair XMP2 DDR2 800 RAM
    Sapphire HD5850 1GB
    Ceton InfiniTV4 cablecard tuner
    Apple 23 inch Cinema display + Dell SR2320L

Re: EP55 motherboard and Adaptec 19160 or 29160

What board is he looking to get, then I can better look around for you guys.

Also, on his Intel, if that is a RAID Controller and he can't boot with RAID enabled in the BIOS for the onboard controller, tell him to disable onboard RAID and then see if the card works by itself as the only RAID enabled device.

Comment

He's still sorting through the feature sets of the various EP55A UDXX models. Probably go with a UD4 or UD5.

On his Intel board, the onboard controller is set to SATA as IDE. The Adpatec Boot BIOS extensions show up during POST as expected, but the boot process hangs with blinking cursor.

He's confirmed the line termination and LUNs are properly set in the Adaptec setup and verifies the same controller/disk works fine in an Intel EP35 board.

The SCSI hard drive is formatted by DOS 6.2 (!) but the board will boot a DOS formatted SATA hard drive from the onboard controller as well as from various USB devices.
      EP45-UD3P 1.1
      QX9770 @ 3.6Ghz (formerly E8500 @ 3.6Ghz)
      4 X Corsair XMP2 DDR2 800 RAM
      Sapphire HD5850 1GB
      Ceton InfiniTV4 cablecard tuner
      Apple 23 inch Cinema display + Dell SR2320L

Comment

Ahh well sorry I can't be of much help with the Intel board, I was just thinking of that as an easy solution if his problem was easy.

As for Gigabyte P55's and those controllers, I can't find anyone using them yet.

Your best bet would be to ask both companies directly to see if either has tested them together, or look through reviews on each card and see if you can find anyone using a GA-P55A board for the review.

Gigabyte Contact page
        Technical Support - GIGABYTE

Adaptec Contact Page
        Answer

Sorry I can't be of more help myself!

*Edit

You may want to ask Chrisram via PM, he is our Storage Guru for the main TweakTown review side of things. He may have one of those controllers himself and could test for you or let you know, I'm fairly sure he has P55A boards already.

I'll pm him as well and see if he'll come and comment here for you
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-15-2010, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X