Another GA-P55 IDE DRIVE PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another GA-P55 IDE DRIVE PROBLEM

I have just installed a new GA-P55 m/b and it can't read my Seagate Barracuda IDE drive. I don't want to reinstall XP - any suggestions??

Re: Another GA-P55 IDE DRIVE PROBLEM

Does it show in BIOS?
    If it does maybe you just need to initalize the disk first..

Right click - My computer - manage -> disk management

Comment

do you have ide selected in the bios? and try with native sata port 0-3 enabled and try with it disabled too,is the hdd formatted in ntfs?
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies.
        1. Yes shows in bios.
        2. HD taken directly from P4 m/b. What do you mean initialise?
        3. Unable to access windows menus -refer 2nd comment in this thread.
        4. Have tried IDE and HDCI? in bios
        5. Have tried Native & Disabled
        6. Will try Sata port 0-3 now........................

I need to get this sorted before Monday as I use it for work. So your help is much appreciated.

Comment

you cant use ahci it will need seperate drivers before os install,do you mean you just pulled a working xp hdd from your pentium d pc and put it into the p55 pc?

if so it wont work,you need to first save all your files and data,music/videos/pictures ect and then format the hdd and do a fresh clean install of windows xp,all the mb drivers from the pentiumd will be different to the p55 hence it wont boot up and run

you would be better buying a cheap sata hdd and doing a fresh install,then plug in your ide hdd and drag all your files over onto the new hdd,you will see better performance with a sata hdd too
          Last edited by wazza300; 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM.
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Yes transferred P4 to lastest m/b.
            Nuts!

Before I do that as its a pain to reload all the programs - a friend suggested that I get the P4 working again then delete the drivers and then transfer.

have you heard of this as a solution?

New HD last option.

Comment

you wouldnt be able to delete the drivers that are in use though? ive never done it so i cant say,i know its a pain but its far quicker imo to save files/format and fresh install

EDIT: save the program folder to dvd data disc,then when you do clean install you can drag the programs you want over from the dvd to the new install program folder,you will find most if not all of your programs will still work without re-installing them,then just make a shortcut of each program to the desktop
              Last edited by wazza300; 12-10-2010, 07:11 PM.
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

Comment

Ya, you can try a repair install as linked above, that should work, the last option with "Repair"

Then once done you will only need to reinstall all the latest updates and service packs, your files and programs will be untouched.

Do a backup first though just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    you wouldnt be able to delete the drivers that are in use though? ive never done it so i cant say,i know its a pain but its far quicker imo to save files/format and fresh install
                    Yes you can! However that was just the start of a fresh load of problems. Having removed the drivers tried it in the new m/b (didn't work) transfered back again and then it wouldn't work except in safe mode.
                    Tried restore but kept getting a blank screen. Thinking the computer had hung rebooting half the day.
                    This morning tried the crt monitor and it worked. Problem was restore was doing its thing and I couldn't see (lcd imitiation) so kept rebooting halfway through the process.

Morel of the story: Don't piss with the system devices by deleting mb and ide drivers.
                    Last edited by Chisel; 12-11-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Where were you when I needed you?
                      This suggestion looks too good to be true.

Too late for me this time I've decided to spring for a new sata drive and start fresh.

Thanks all

Comment

BTW even if you did succeed booting with the new motherboard the network would immediatly lock.
                        I don't remember if I had to re-activate windows after I changed board, I might have.
                        This procedure worked for me once, though I had reinstalled fresh copy more than once.

Comment

i had to re-activate windows when i swapped mb's,but they were the same chipset so i didnt need to re-install,windows will ask for product key again due to significant hardware change

youll get better performance anyway from a sata hdd,i never thought of the windows disk and doing a repair,like i said ive never attempted it,ive always gone for a clean new install
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Quick update, finally got the IDE drive to work on the new m/b after reinstalling windows. New hd arrived the next day so I was an expert by then. All up and running.
                            Did you know that there are hundreds of xp updates that need to be installed also.

Thanks again to all those that offered suggestions.
                            Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                            X