Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Intel...help me out.

I found this info on the FCPGA2 chips:

"The requirements a motherboard must meet for the FC-PGA2 to work are as follows:

1.The board must have a Socket 370 interface which supports VRM 8.5 DC-DC Converter guidelines

2.The BIOS must support the 1.475 core voltage.

While most current socket 370 motherboards on the market today may meet the voltage requirement, the pins setup remains different to the point that the processor will not work if used in an older, non-compliant motherboard."

It is also supposed to be taller that the older chip and can cause problems with heatsinks that have close clip tolerances.

Comment

Ok, I guess that rules the FCPGA2 out of the question.

I went to look for a PIII but there is so many different variants. CuMine, Coppermine...What is the difference? Core revisions? What do the markings "EB" (...etc) mean?

I guess the main question is what variants of PIII can I use? What can I not use? I can't find any CuMine CPU's

Basicly all I know is that I need a a PIII FCPGA socket 370 or a celeron. Is all the socket 370 Celerons the same and can be used in this board?

Gosh, Now I know why I stuck with AMD

Comment

Some info form Asus' site:

Question: Can CUWE-FX support Intel new Tualatin CPU?

Answer : No, the chipset on CUWE-FX cannot support Tualatin CPU.

Question : Can CUWE-FX support FC-PGA celeron CPU? What is the the fastest speed of Celeron I can use?

Answer : Yes, it can support FC-PGA celeron CPU. The fastest one which can be supported is Celeron 900. (This has appearently been changed to 1000.)

Here's a link to Intel's feature set for PIIIs:

Hope this helps.

Comment

Comment

You're right about the wrong board! Boy! did I screw up flowing the small print on my big monitor while wandering around Asus' site,or what?

Here's what I think will be a little better help.

The coppermine was the code name for Intel's switch to a .18 micron process. It came with a couple of designations. The e after the speed ment it was the .18 process, thereby a coppermine chip. The b was used to designate that it supported a 133mz FSB (no b meant 100mz FSB).
            So, the fastest chip that the board should support is the PIII 1000eb. I found one at the folowing link:

http://www.tcwo.com/items.asp?CartId={8BF174B9-1FEC-4AD3-9F3F-6E7F5AA4DBA2}&Cc=INTEL3&Tp=

Comment

Thanks Jack... I didn't want to buy a coppermine CPU and it wouldn't work.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X