G31-ES2L, surround sound and an AVR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G31-ES2L, surround sound and an AVR?

Hey guys, I'm trying to hook up a surround setup to my desktop which has the G31-ES2L motherboard. Typically a prefab surround computer speaker set has the color coded 3.5mm wires that simply plug into the mb/sound card. My setup is a little different.

I'm using the speakers from a dead Klipsch Pro Media set (2.1 plus DIY sub) and up till now have only been powering the sub and 2 speakers through the front headphone jack of the computer using a 3.5mm to dual rca (red/white) cable (to rear of AVR).

Now that I'm adding the matching center channel, and later, a rear pair, these are all wired to the AVR but is the headphone jack sufficient for providing 5.1 sound? I have the HD Realtek audio utility installed,etc but wasn't sure if I was going about this the right way...

Any ideas? Confused? :)
    Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
    OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    CoolerMaster Centurion case
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Re: G31-ES2L, surround sound and an AVR?

Sorry I am not sure what you are trying to do, don't mind me I'm not a big audio guy :)

So you want 2.1 (3 speakers) plus a forth correct?

If so then yes install the Realtek drivers, and then go into the realtek control panel and choose which setup you want to use, depending on which ports you connect the speakers to you may want to use 4.1/5.1/ or 7.1

Comment

Well I'm now running a projector in my little office (awesome, you have to try it!) and wanted to bump my sound from 2.1 (easy enough, 3.5mm to dual rca into desktop headphone jack) to 3.1/5.1.

I finally realized my Technics AVR has 5.1 analog (rca jacks for each set of front/rear,etc speakers) on the rear along with digital coax and tos link (digital sound). Only tradeoff is that analog 5.1 sound is much lower than digital without a preamp.

I went ahead and ordered an s/pdif bracket and cable off ebay for $15 which has the digital sound connections but it's coming from Australia so it'll be a month or so!

I can't help it, I love music and good sound! Thanks for the reply!
      Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
      Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
      OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
      EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
      CoolerMaster Centurion case
      OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Well I'm glad you were able to find the cable you needed, I think last time I looked the only place to get one was Aus as well (Or contact Gigabyte directly)

Hope it works out for you, let us know once it arrives how things sound!

Comment

Working...
        X