Can't update Bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't update Bios

Hi guys, I have a Ga-X58A-UD7 ver2 mobo and for the love of god I just can't update the bios from FB to FC...The reason I want to update is that I've been having a few issues with my vertex 2 drives in raid 0, and I was hoping the bios update might help...Now I have tried several usb pen drives ranging from 2gig to 8gig and Qflash won't see any of the drives? I don't want to use @Bios and I have tried to use a bootable USB pen drive and CD disc but still no joy! It just tells me no drive found....grrrrrrrrrr. Now I have never had any probs in the past updating bios via Qflash until now, yes I have downloaded the correct bios for my revision, but it won't work for me.....Should I try @Bios as a last resort?? I don't want to, as I know the danger of bricking the board. Why won't the Qflash see any drives? Thanks in advance...

*scratches head*

Re: Can't update Bios

Oh and yes I have set bios to optimised defaults before trying to flash :-)

Comment

Do you have USB Storage function or USB Legacy support enabled?
      Also the USB device must be FAT32 formated.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chike, yes to both those. Even unplugged my G15 keyboard and used a microsoft board just to rule out any issuse there. Got me stumped.

Comment

USB devices show as hard drives, at post press F12 and select +Hard Disk, the usb should show as HDD 0-0 or USB 0-0.
          Same when flashing, you should select to install from hard disk.

Comment

Did you get it yet?

Comment

No I have been busy with work and have not had any spare time to have a go, I will give it another shot on the weekend. Thanks for the input guys! Will keep you posted :-)

Comment

well I have tried and tried to no avail. I have created a bootable USB (on 4 different pen drives) and I go to boot priority by pressing F12 and try booting from +HDD and selecting the HDD-0 (USB) and all I get is missing operating system or missing boot manager (or similar). I have tried using front USB ports as well as rear, tried using Qflash and all I get is 'No Drive Found'. I used the HPUSBFW program and followed the instructions set out by Lsdneasap in the How to use Qflash sticky, no good for me. I think either the bios is somehaw write proteted or none of the pen drives I am using are compatible..

Verbatim 2 gig

memorex 4 gig

Toshiba 8 gig

Corsiar Flash Voyager 8 gig

None are seen by bios Qflash, yet when I plug them in to reboot to enter Bios they are seen and read, even in boot selection they are seen...So why don't it work?

Should I just go ahead and try using the @bios???

Comment

Did you extract the BIOS file from the downloaded file? The file you download off the internet is NOT the BIOS but is a self extracting file that contains multiple files including the BIOS file. The file you put on your (pen) thumb drive should be just .FC (assuming you're updating to FC version of BIOS), not anything weird like .z_FC or whatever.

I just plugged in 3 drives at the same time and only 2 of them showed up, but until I kept not being able to update until I realized that I didn't extract the BIOS from the downloaded file :)

Comment

Hi draemn... Yes extracted the files from the bios download
                    autoexe
                    FLASHSPI
                    X58AUD7.FC

In boot manager I have tried USB-FDD, USB-HDD, ZIP, USB everything and no luck :-(

Comment

Some USB sticks are just not compatible, especially larger ones like you have.

Do you have any 256MB-512MB you can try with? Dig around, you know you have some tiny ones you forgot about when you bought the 8GB :)

You can use @BIOS if it's your last and only resort, but I don't think we are there yet. If you do use it, be sure you use the latest version and you are on stock optimized settings.

Another thing you can do instead of @BIOS is make a small 1GB or less partition on the end of your hard drive, or another spare hard drive you may have laying around.

Make a small partition FAT32 and put the BIOS file there and connect the hard drive, Qflash will find the drive for sure.

Comment

Hi All, first post for me

This was also wrecking my head, I had a drive into every controller, formatted with ntfs and fat32 and even floppy drive fat and still 'no drive found'
                        Anyway, go into bios, into 'standard cmos features' and scroll all the way down until u see the controller option for 'DRIVE A'
                        change it from none to 1.44M, now it can see a floppy

then boot into qflash pressing 'end'
                        and load bios file from floppy

Im currently getting invalid bios file from the FD bios though, so my troubles are not over,
                        pain in the ...

Comment

forgot to mention that I have the same board,
                          anyway, the second floppy in a different floppy drive worked, FD installed

Comment

@naaspcs

Just a reminder. A wrong BIOS will give you the BIOS ID check error. If you are getting the message, then your BIOS does not match your board. The UD7 has 2 revisions. The revision number is printed on your board in the lower left hand corner, at the edge of your expansion slots area.

But if you are getting a message that the file you are trying to flash is not a proper BIOS file, then that probably means that you have the wrong file. Make sure you are not trying to flash a ZIP file.

May I ask, how did you you try to use QFlash?

Is USB Storage Function enabled?

The way I do it is with my 1GB stick I format it to FAT32. You cannot flash from NTFS on this board. I then put just the one file--the BIOS--on that stick. I don't prepare it to be bootable. I stick it into a port. I turn on system and enter BIOS. From the main menu in BIOS, I enter QFlash.

QFlash identifies the USB stick as HDD 0-0.

Comment

make sure your usb drive does not plug into USB3.0 (blue) port.
                              also make sure your usb drive is FAT format.

Comment

Working...
                              X