GA-M61SME-S2 BIOS Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-M61SME-S2 BIOS Recovery

Hi there, everyone. I've gotten my self into a bit of a dilemma. In my attempt to flash a modded BIOS onto my friend's GA-M61SME-S2 (rev. 2.x) mobo, I seem to have bricked the thing. I turn it on and the fans spin, the LEDs shine, but there is no display output or hard drive access.

Strangely, I did not make the mistake of using Windows to flash the BIOS, I used the built-in flashing tool, and it still bricked the machine. I've tried a variety of recovery methods, and none have worked successfully. I've tried recovering from CDs and DVDs, and I even went out and bought a pack of floppies to use, and none of the methods involving those things worked either. It's an Award BIOS, and unfortunately, it seems as though it's not removable, so I can't attempt a hot-flash or send it somewhere to have it flashed.

I've been searching the Internet, and I may have stumbled upon a clue, if anyone's willing to help me. I'd really appreciate it. I used a hex editor to search through the BIOS file from Gigabyte's site, and I found the string "BIOS Auto-Recovering .Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive" inside of it. Upon further searching, I found this forum thread at http://www.motherboardpoint.com/awar...e-t158156.html. Although it's for a different motherboard, the two seem to have similar BIOSes. From there, I found a link to a Russian forum http://forum.rom-by.com/viewtopic.php?p=86823 where someone seems to have figured it out. Unfortunately, much of it is still beyond my level of skill.

Upon further searching, I found out that a backup of the BIOS is stored on the hard drive in a special area called the HPA (Hidden Protected Area). It seems as though if I could get someone who has the same (or similar) motherboard as me to send me a copy of their HPA, I might be able to recover the BIOS Perhaps I could use the original CD that came with the motherboard and extract the HPA from there? Or is that too far-fetched? Thanks in advance, to anyone who helps me

-Drew Carey Buglione

Re: GA-M61SME-S2 BIOS Recovery

What was the mod, and did you do it yourself? :)

If it was a broken BIOS file via the mod it wouldn't matter how you flashed it at all, so keep that in mind for future BIOS modding.

Do you even get the screen "Searching for BIOS xxx"? If not a disk with a BIOS in the HPA would not help you anyway. HPA is just a hidden section of the hard drive, so you can't extract from or add to it like you are thinking.

Since your board only has one BIOS chip you have few options. You mentioned floppy, did you try a blind flash with floppy? If not see my instructions on trying that here

That is about the only thing you can do without a dual BIOS, you will need to RMA if you can't get a blind flash to work.

If you are seeing a "Searching for BIOS, ect" message when you boot the machine then you still may be in luck with another method, but it sounds like you are not getting that from what you mention.

Comment

The mod was for SLIC 2.1, and no, I did not do it myself. I do not get the "Searching for BIOS xxx" screen at all, unfortunately. I know the HPA is a hidden section of the hard drive, but it looks as though it can be read from and written to using special tools, such as http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/<wbr>upload/files/HPATOOL.zip. Any ideas on that?

I have not tried a blind flash with a floppy disk, and I will attempt that as soon as possible. If I can't get this to work, how would I go about RMA-ing the board? Is this free?

Comment

Thanks, I just wondered. Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing, did they say they had modified a similar board's BIOS before?

I know you can read/write to a HPA, but I have no clue on how you would get a BIOS onto one or even what format it goes on there in.

Ya, please try blind flash, methods listed here in case you hadn't seen

Yes RMA is free, takes 14-21 days or so depending on how busy they are.

You can setup a RMA here, warranty is good for 3 years
        RMA

Comment

Working...
        X