Slow XP Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow XP Networking

Okay, I've got a question here that's been bugging me for a while. I'm running a p2p network with mixed Win98 and WinXP machines. The 98 machines can access shared folders on the XP machines and other 98 machines fine, and nearly instantly. The XP machines, on the other hand, access these files unbelievably slow. Also, when I View Available Computers it takes almost a full minute to finally show something.

I haven't looked into this too deeply, haven't had the time. But I was hoping that one of you knew of some sort of tweak or such that would hopefully stop XP from doing whatever it's doing so that it would work more like the 98 machines.

Thanks for any help.

Ya this is a common problem and basically what it is doing is searching for any scheduled tasks which usually can take up to 30 seconds of waiting time on the other end. A few months ago a tweak guide went up part one and two for windows xp. This should fix that problem.

Open the registry and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace then there should be a key called {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} just remove this key and reboot your computer and things should be fixed.

Comment

Wow! That was quick service!

And best of all, it worked great. Only takes a second or two now, and that's about 30x to 60x faster.

Big thanks to you, guy, you made a demon worshipper out of me!

Take care.

Comment

Working...
      X