No announcement yet.

GA-P55-UD4P (rev 1.0) geforce 560 ti on pci-e 16x conflicts with onboard sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55-UD4P (rev 1.0) geforce 560 ti on pci-e 16x conflicts with onboard sound

I have a evga 560 ti graphics card that seems to be conflicting with my on board sound. I can move the card from the pci-e 16x to the 8x slot and the sound will return. The sound also works with my older (and smaller) geforce 7600. I've updated my bios from F3 to F10 and grabbed the latest audio drivers. However, nothing seems to work. I took a quick look at the IRQs and the video card is 16 while the audio is 17. It's been a long time since I've dealt with an IRQ conflict, but I'm thinking that's only an issue if they have the same ID assigned.

I did a 3dMark test and there's less than a 1 frame difference between the 16x and 8x, so I could just move the card to the other slot, however I plan to do a SLI in the next few months. I could also purchase a sound card, but I'm rather annoyed at spending more money for this reason.

the symptom:
    The system boots fine (I think I get one quick beep, but I'd have to verify that), but no sound comes out of the speakers. I attempted to switch the sound to my digital output, but that still didn't produce any sound. Now the computer won't let me switch back to my analog output because it doesn't see any device connected to it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,
    Nathaniel

Re: GA-P55-UD4P (rev 1.0) geforce 560 ti on pci-e 16x conflicts with onboard sound

Don't the 560 has a sound driver too? Check if the built in is selected as default output device.

Comment

Re: GA-P55-UD4P (rev 1.0) geforce 560 ti on pci-e 16x conflicts with onboard sound

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      Don't the 560 has a sound driver too? Check if the built in is selected as default output device.
      Yeah, it showed the realtek speakers as the default device after I installed the graphics card. Even if I'm remembering wrong I'm certain that the digital output that's now selected is the device from the motherboard. Good thought though.

I did actually uninstall the graphic card drivers when moving it to the pci-e 8x slot. At that point I skipped installing the audio drivers (to ensure they weren't conflicting ). I've since moved the card back to the 16x slot without the graphic's audio drivers installed. the fact that the sound works when the card is in one slot but not the other leads me to believe it's more of a hardware than driver issue, but maybe I'm just too focused on that being the issue. I'm going to try competently uninstalling the sound and graphic drivers, then installing the graphic drivers followed by the sound drivers.

We actually have a somewhat similar issue at my work with a dell 3900 series. The line-in jacks won't accept any audio. The computer even shows the audio levels animating as if sound is coming in, but you can never actually record or hear the input. This is similar to my house were I can see the output volume animating, however I can't hear anything....not that I'm suggesting it's related (since they're different machines), but it does give me less hope since our IT never could resolve the issue in that case.

Comment

I had the same issue, seeing the volume lavel change but no output, after I was messing with sound settings, I forgot what I did, but that was all solved after I rebooted (Win7 Home Premume 64-bit).

Comment

It's amazing what a little rewording of a google search will do for you. I took "gigabyte" and "560 ti" of the search and did "nvidia audio drivers conflict with onboard sound". There front and center popped up a number of long threads regarding this issue. So, its not really a gigabyte issue as much as a general issue for cards with audio for the HDMI. Nvidia has a official comment about it here. I need to do a reboot but I'm 99% certain my board only has the "auto" setting and no way to force it on.

I also found some directions on how to disable the sound part of the card without windows automatically installing generic drivers for it (which causes issues as well). If that works I'll post it here for completeness sake.

Comment

I guess you can say it is a BIOS issue, if it disables the built-in audio and does not let you to force enable.
            I see n reason to disable the built-in audio at all, maybe you need more than one?
            But it seem to be anabled since the drivers were installed and working as you described and this does look like a conflict between the drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X