Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOT POSTING! Gigabyte UD3R Rev2, new build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT POSTING! Gigabyte UD3R Rev2, new build.

Before i start, i have tried searching EVERYWHERE for a solution. Nothing has worked. Some people have extremely similar issues to what i am having e.g

First of all, here are my exact hardware specs. I'll elaborate on what i've tried afterwards.
    Intel Core i7 960
    Thermaltake ToughPower XT 875W
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard Rev2
    Lite-On iHBS212 12x Blu-Ray Disc Writer with LightScribe
    Corsair CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 12GB (3x4GB) Dominator
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST3500413AS
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Super Overclock.

WELL...
    As soon as i press power, it powers up but i dont get any display on my monitor (Screen works, tried it on my laptop before).
    Weird thing is, i had to remove the 12v 8pin ATX cable (located top left of CPU) because when i had it plugged in, i would power on the system and it would reset every 2 or so seconds. Once i removed it, it no longer kept restarting. Now when i switch on it just hangs. Ive tried both PCIx16 slots, no avail. Every fan works. I plugged in a speaker but there is nothing to indicate a hadware failure (bleeps). I have not installed an OS yet (intend to install 64bit win7 pro but obviously cant). I have no USB plugged in, only the HD (Sata3) and i cant see that being an issue although here is where i think my issue may. My PHASE LED is showing (2 green, 2 yellow, 2 red) and my NB PHASE LED [or DDR Voltage] which shows (2 green, 2 yellow). So i'm guessing an overvoltage issue (since they are overvoltage led's)?
    I only have 1 DDR3 in the 3_3 slot (tried 3_1 slot).
    All screws have been fastend in the mobo in the right places, i dont believe its an earthing issue...
    This is not my first build, im not a techy by any standard (actually landscaper) but i've utterly hit a brick-f'n-wall.
    If you have any more questions/answers (i think i've covered everything) please say so.

Just to be clear i HAVE NOT installed any operating system yet, happend on first boot.

as you can see in this photo is where the LED's are lit up. sorry for poor quality, was taken with iphone.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Dual boot Win 7 pro 64bit & Ubuntu 64bit, i7 960, Gigabyte UD3R rev. 2, Gigabyte GeForce 560Ti SOC, 12gig Corsair Dominator (3x4gig ddr3 9.9.9.24), Thermaltake ToughPower 875watt PSU.

Re: NOT POSTING! Gigabyte UD3R Rev2, new build.

You need the 8pin cpu power plug plugged in or it won't work,unplugging it won't prove anything as the cpu won't be getting any power,you say you've tried booting with just one stick in first white slot from cpu socket? If not try that,next try fully clearing the cmos by removing mb battery for 30mins,if still no joy I would carefully remove cpu and carefully inspect the socket for any bent cpu pins but please take care when checking as they are easily damaged,post pics of the whole socket if you can

Is it a quad or six core chip? If six core you might need a quadcore chip to enable you to update the bios to one that supports a 6core chip
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sure thing the CPU cannot work without power, plug the ATX_12Vx8 back.
      Best is to take the MB out the case and bench test it on a cardboard or wood table.
      Try to clear the CMOS for 30 minutes, battery out and CLR_CMOS jumped, all when dsconnected from power of course and discharged.
      If all this don't help try to find damage to the PCB and finally you may need to remove the CPU and look for bent pins.

Comment

Took battery out, will get back to you shortly.
        Dual boot Win 7 pro 64bit & Ubuntu 64bit, i7 960, Gigabyte UD3R rev. 2, Gigabyte GeForce 560Ti SOC, 12gig Corsair Dominator (3x4gig ddr3 9.9.9.24), Thermaltake ToughPower 875watt PSU.

Comment

Alright well, put it back in and same thing happens (also re attached the 12v atx)
          Although this time i held in the blue clr CMOS button , and it stopped the system from restarting (when i let go it again did the reboot after 2 second thing) but did nothing to the display.

Any more ideas now?
          Last edited by Sola2k; 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
            You need the 8pin cpu power plug plugged in or it won't work,unplugging it won't prove anything as the cpu won't be getting any power,you say you've tried booting with just one stick in first white slot from cpu socket? If not try that,next try fully clearing the cmos by removing mb battery for 30mins,if still no joy I would carefully remove cpu and carefully inspect the socket for any bent cpu pins but please take care when checking as they are easily damaged,post pics of the whole socket if you can

Is it a quad or six core chip? If six core you might need a quadcore chip to enable you to update the bios to one that supports a 6core chip
            It is quadcore, also with the ram i can only have it in 3_1 and 3_3 unless of course i have a triple channel in which case its in 3_1, 3_3 & 3_5 but im only running the one stick to be safe.

Comment

The mb will boot with one stick in any white ram slot,have you tried with another gpu? Or without just to see if mb lights go out? Try that if no luck I would inspect cpu socket
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

1. Disassemble the entire system! Make sure that the current CPU is supported by the current installed BIOS version of the MB!

2. Make sure that the following components are working properly: VGA, one RAM module, CPU, PSU. You should test all of them on another system in order to be 100% sure.

3. Place the MB to a wooden plate! Connect the VGA, RAM, CPU, and PSU(all the psu connectors, consult the MB's manual accordingly) to the MB. Make sure to connect the additional power connectors required by the VGA! Make sure that nothing is going to move the components from their place while the system it's running. Do not connect the SATA or the IDE devices! They are useless and they are going to complicate things. Reset the BIOS by removing and putting back in the li-ion battery!
                Connect the monitor to the VGA. Connect the PSU to the power outlet!
                Start the system!

Repeat 3 by changing the slot of the RAM module. Try moving the RAM module to all the available slots!

IF, but only if you followed 1-2-3 accordingly and you've got no image on the LCD screen, then it means that you've got a dead mobo.
                Next step: RMA the motherboard!

*MB's led lights do not matter. I've seen many MB's malfunctioning with their led lights on/off. They're just an old and inefficient diagnose system. Debugging the issue by this readings it's a big pain in the a**. They mislead you most of the time.

Comment

Thank you blue_sun, i shall try that now.
                  Sort of off topic but i posted this same question on the TechArena forums in their Hardware section and they banned me without a reason. I just like to say thanks for taking time to answer my questions.
                  I'll get back to you soon and let you know how i go.

Comment

The mb will boot with one stick in any white ram slot,have you tried with another gpu? Or without just to see if mb lights go out? Try that if no luck I would inspect cpu socket
                    I have not tried with another gpu, but i disconnected the gfx card to see if it made any different to the lights, as well as rom drives & HD but yeah, nothing. I'll just do a good old barebones benchmark now :)
                    I have a feeling that maybe it is either a dead mobo or even the cpu's thermal paste/pins i just dont want to believe it lol.

Comment

I did the barebones/bench test. Still not posting. Attached a speaker from an old rig, and when i hold the clr cmos button (so it doesnt do the every 2-3 second reset) the speaker makes two barely audible bipbip noises. stops for a second, and then bipbip (sorry, thats the only way i can describe how it sounds).

give you an idea of how i tested it. also used this guide
                      How to Bench Test Your System - Tech Support Forum

So what do you guys think i should do?

Comment

Originally posted by Sola2k View Post
                        and when i hold the clr cmos button (so it doesnt do the every 2-3 second reset) the speaker makes two barely audible bipbip noises. stops for a second, and then bipbip (sorry, thats the only way i can describe how it sounds).
                        Are you trying to hit the clear cmos button while this system is in a reboot loop??? that will not work you have to turn the system off and then press it and then turn the system back on or turn it off and pull the A/c outlet cord form the back of the psu then press the clear cmos button.
                        Main Rig
                        Gigabyte z87x-OC
                        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                        HiS ATI HD 6950
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Tried both then. Nothing.

Comment

Have you looked at cpu socket yet?
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Have you looked at cpu socket yet?
                              Yeah man, no bent pins or anything, made sure it was back in properly too. Nothing looks like it has shorted there.

My last resort i believe is to try to 'bridged the two pins on the bios to make it believe it's corrupt and use the secondary'
                              that info is from here:

Unless there is something else i should try?

Comment

Working...
                              X